Portrait attempt: Master at Arms

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Geirroed

Portrait attempt: Master at Arms

Post by Geirroed »

Since this is my first post here "Hello Forum!" :)

I have recently discovered the joy that is wesnoth and since i had some antique version CorelDraw on my Computer i thought i might just give it a try to create a portrait for the Master of Arms/Fencer. When reading the unit descriptions, i had quite immediately an image of a (a little vain) coxcomb (is this the appropriate word?) in my mind.

Too be honest i think this might have lead me to interpreting the sprite too loosely. Especially the hat (which has additionally some issues on how it wraps around the head), but i think i should better await your comments and critique, if it's even worth the effort of changing :? On the other hand those noble's kids are probably the least uniformed unit line in the loyalists army anyway *cough* ;)
Attachments
Stutzer3.png
Stutzer3.png (33.43 KiB) Viewed 4537 times
Last edited by Geirroed on February 2nd, 2008, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
db0

Post by db0 »

Very well done sir. For a first try you are rivaling Kitty ;)

I am not certain the hat and frilly sleeves are in the correct age but it generally looks very well made

How did you come to discover Wesnoth btw?
Last edited by db0 on February 1st, 2008, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Welcome to the forums =)

Great work. Don't worry too much about the interpretation of the sprite - as long as the unit looks about right, and doesn't have any equipment not used by the unit, you're pretty much OK. The coat looks really nice. You're right that the hat needs work, but i'm not quite certain how to fix it myself.

The only thing i would change about it is the eyes - the colour's a bit too vivid, particularly given the pastel colours used throughout the rest of t he piece.

This is excellent work. I look forward to seeing more.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

isn't the like more like a musketeer's?
http://www.bearn-gaves.com/spip/IMG/bmp ... etaire.bmp
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks more like a tricorn to me. And looking at the reference, i think your mistake is in trying to make the bit that fits around the head the same shape as the brim, when in fact it's the same shape as the head - the bit that goes around the head should be roughly circular/oval, instead of having a point at the front.

As for the costume, i think it works - it looks like the MaA's costume, for one thing, and it fits the slightly-foppish-noble image i've always had of that line.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

I agree with spaceinvader that his eyes are a bit too blue and his outift a bit out of the right era, but generally, I think we have a really good start here.
He does look reasonably like the sprite, and, as spaceinvader said, there's no need to fret over making him look exactly like the sprite. I think his facial expression should be changed, though. I think he needs a little more confidence in his face.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Geirroed wrote:Too be honest i think this might have lead me to interpreting the sprite too loosely
The sprite borrows heavily from the Hollywood swashbuckling tradition. You've got the foppish aspect perfect. As you've already identified the only stylistic issue, please ignore anything other than anatomical advice from the peanut gallery.
Federalist marshal wrote:I agree with spaceinvader that his eyes are a bit too blue and his outift a bit out of the right era, but generally, I think we have a really good start here.
He does look reasonably like the sprite, and, as spaceinvader said, there's no need to fret over making him look exactly like the sprite. I think his facial expression should be changed, though. I think he needs a little more confidence in his face.
A perfect example of non-constructive criticism, a la the "doing multiplication tables" nonsense which led to Johann's quitting.

- Chris
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

Thumper wrote:
Federalist marshal wrote:I agree with spaceinvader that his eyes are a bit too blue and his outift a bit out of the right era, but generally, I think we have a really good start here.
A perfect example of non-constructive criticism, a la the "doing multiplication tables" nonsense which led to Johann's quitting.
I don't see how it's non-constructive; as far as I can tell, the facial expression is supposed to help reflect the general character of the unit. So how am I wrong?
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

It's exactly the style and emotion that he wanted to convey. Unless they are obviously contradictory (bulky MaA's, evil-looking elvish shamans), the only thing left is major anatomical issues for polish. Not all units have to look charismatic, tough, etc. Each artist should be able to freely express his art as long as it fits the general Wesnothian style, unless an Art Dev says so.
Take a breath.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

anakayub wrote:It's exactly the style and emotion that he wanted to convey. Unless they are obviously contradictory (bulky MaA's, evil-looking elvish shamans), the only thing left is major anatomical issues for polish. Not all units have to look charismatic, tough, etc. Each artist should be able to freely express his art as long as it fits the general Wesnothian style, unless an Art Dev says so.
exactly... TruePurple, unless the artist is asking up front whether the audience thinks he captured the spirit of the sprite, try not to make comments on how you personally think he should be portrayed ;)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

You may be interested in this thread where Wayfarer has just started a workshop to coach people through portrait development. (We covered sprites already though we may do more).
Geirroed

Post by Geirroed »

Thank you, db0, thespaceinvader, Federalist Marshal, Thumper and anakayub (i'm taking that i expressed what i wanted to convey as a compliment ;) ) for your encouragement.
thespaceinvader wrote:The only thing i would change about it is the eyes - the colour's a bit too vivid, particularly given the pastel colours used throughout the rest of t he piece.
Very good point. Thanks a lot.
thespaceinvader wrote:Looks more like a tricorn to me.
Exactly! On completely unrelated note it's much easier to find decent references if you actually now what these are called... thanks! ;)
db0 wrote: I am not certain the hat and frilly sleeves are in the correct age...
Personally i think the whole fencer line is a bit out of its age :P

So anyways. Next try. Edited the hat (still tricorn - ok that's hopefully obvious), the colour of his eyes (toned down enough?) and made his hair, covering the eye, react slightly more to gravity. I'm looking forward to further ideas/suggestions :)

--------------------
@ this constructive/unconstructive critique topic:
I wasn't bothered by any of the comments here :) Though i think anakayub, Thumper and Thrawn are generally right. Emotional expression is surely of relevance, but saying "in my imagination the motif is more like that than what you did" is a little bit like saying "you should have drawn another motif". This may be true in some cases, but it is sheer impossible to satisfy all personal opinions of what the motif should be. One work-around is probably only to satisfy the artist himself and the main art officials, which also ensures that it's not too far off. As far as i understand (lurking around in this forums) this is the way it's done here.
Also probably doesn't help to recite allready mentioned problems (if every problem is just stated once it's not necessary to emphasize anything IMHO), but for some artists it might even be a personal annoyance (it's just not comfortable to be remembered of the same mistake several times ;)). Also it clogs the thread so it is probably wise to avoid it.

--------------------
db0 wrote:How did you come to discover Wesnoth btw?
Someone dropped it's name in a heroes of might an magic forum and the fact it was an open source strategy title. This combination interested me. Don't ask why ;)

By the way: What's a "MaA"? EDIT: *Cough* Yeah that should have been obvious... :lol: Mixed up the prepositions.
Attachments
Stutzer4.png
Stutzer4.png (33.61 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
Last edited by Geirroed on February 2nd, 2008, 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

MaA : Master at Arms :P
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

MaA - Master at arms.

I was just lazy. :lol:

Edit: Boucman beat me to it, proving my point.
Last edited by anakayub on February 2nd, 2008, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take a breath.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

There was something bugging me about the portrait that I couldn't really identify earlier, but I think it's due to the shading being too light. In other portraits shading/shadows on clothing, skin and hair seem to generally be somewhat darker than yours (the mid-level shadows in them are about as dark as your darkest shadows).