Undead Empire - Version 1.0.2 released!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mica

Undead Empire - Version 1.0.2 released!

Post by Mica »

jb wrote:Mythological and I have once again teamed up to make an MP scenario called Undead Empire. It can be found on the 1.3.x Add-Ons.

Undead Empire is a dark clone of Bob_the_Mighty's great ANL mod. Thanks to Bob and all the people who made ANL possible. Also, thanks to the dozen or so people who helped us playtest for literally dozens of hours.

In Undead Empire there are 4 playable sides, each side having a unique role. Some sides may be more difficult than others, some more defensive, some more offensive, etc. They key to victory is still teamwork.

One key difference from ANL The Last Stand is the victory condition. Survival alone will not grant victory, all enemy leaders must be killed to obtain victory. There are 3 leaders on the map, and 2 "hidden" monster bosses that all must be slain.

Gameplay takes about 3 to 4 hours.

Use map settings is a must.

In addition, you must use the Undead Empire era that is included in the download.

Good luck and have fun.
A quick note, on the author list, it says jb, Myth, Mica. Myth refers to Mythological, for those that do not know.
Last edited by Mica on October 16th, 2010, 5:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
JW

Post by JW »

I highly recommend this download for people looking for a cooperative and challenging experience. The unique styles to each side are what really make it worth playing, IMHO. Each game can be different by just choosing a different side!

It does take a few hours, but if you have the time, it's worth it.
Jami

Post by Jami »

Aside from having yet seen any tactic beat the massive number of Wose that the elf leader rushes with, it seems quite fun. Definatly a "Challenge".
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

Jami:
red player researches burner with king right away (so you can get them on turn 5).
Green player has wraith king and researches ghost right away with an dark adept.

Great map JB, incredibly challenging.
I tried it in single player 3x today and I lost all 3x >.<

Can't kill the dwarf king in time because of the beserker, 3 dragonguard + 3 steelclad combination.
I'll eventually figure out the secret though :twisted:
TL

Post by TL »

I don't know, it's tempting to play player 3 as a sorcerer and research necromancy right off the bat. It only takes 2 turns for your sorcerer to get ghosts that way instead of 4 and you save the cost of recruiting an adept. Of course this strategy is wholly reliant on player 1 being right behind you with drake diplomacy; a sorcerer + ghosts is an excellent wall for the first wave of woses, but you'll have a tough time taking them down without backup.
Jami

Post by Jami »

D'oah, I didn't even think about diplomacy. >< (playing as all four. I've been able to take out the outlaws and hold the dwarves back, but not get further than that before getting swarmed and overrun.

Perhaps another run is in order. >:D
JW

Post by JW »

I decimated solo and almost terraformed the whole map in about 25 turns. I'll upload the replay later. I have to check on another thread first...
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

hehehe I found my problem :D
Beat it finally
I was being a bit too econ focused so the units would come out in a mass a little too late.
Reduce that focus a bit and then it's perfect :D
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

My compliments, my problem with ANL was alwasy that it was too easy, this provides a much funner play.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
JW

Post by JW »

JW wrote:I decimated solo and almost terraformed the whole map in about 25 turns. I'll upload the replay later. I have to check on another thread first...
Keep in mind this was WITH NO SAVE-LOADING. I didn't check my stats, but I'm assuming they were close to par. I did get lucky a few times early IIRC, but there were many spots where I failed late and lost many attacking hexes for it. My overwhelming numbers made victory inevitable no matter the luck though.

Take a look and find a new strategy. 8)
Attachments
Undead_Empire_PWNAGE.gz
(646.46 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
TL

Post by TL »

I can't get it to load. :(

I do have my own turn 24 win, although I had to reload a few times (no RNG manipulation, just the ocassional boneheaded mistake--building or recruiting the wrong thing, forgetting about lots of units). I used 4x sorcerers. Players 3&4 research ghosts right away before switching to mining, building two mines as soon as possible, which should get them 20 gold a turn for a continuous output of ghosts (gold is very tight here; getting both mines by turn 5 means recruiting no more than 4 WC's, and there's a risk that the AI might steal a village and jeopardize your income). Ghosts should attack sparingly, as they're there for village grabbing and defense only. Meanwhile 1&2 diplomatize for burners while researching agriculture and getting farms. Optimally at turn 7 they can recruit 2 burners each for a total of 4 burners and hopefully 6 ghosts (although chances are you've lost one or two). Then the goal is to simply flood the everloving crap out of everybody with a mix of adepts, burners, and clashers.
JW

Post by JW »

Well, my game is actually a loaded save from an MP game set up for me by Myth on turn 1. I then played it solo offline after loading, which may be why it's broken. :(

The reason I did it like that is because it hadn't been uploaded to the server yet. :(
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Thanks for all the comments, yes it can be hard. Very hard if you struggle early. But there is a tipping point, when your war machine is finally ready that you can kind of "sling-shot" your way to victory in the last few turns.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Nice job on this scenario, guys. It is very tough, but that keeps people at it I suppose. Personally, I would like to see one or two more story touches - perhaps a message when you first encounter the wose spam, that kind of thing. Maybe some background text on the blank intro screen?

I had fun last night with it.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Much fun with that game indeed.

It really benefits from the fun parts of team games, with a deep need for ally chat and coordination. Using the corpses in mass is extremely fun and the scenario provides a good occasion to do so. And seeing that game, I must say that the challenge could hardly be better balanced, since we won in the very last moves of 4th player.

There was a thrill and it was epic, great job definitely. Thanks for the game.

1.3.13 edition
Attachments
Undead_Empire('Myth+Truper+krotop+zork').gz
(132.43 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown