The Era of Myths art project thread

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JW

The Era of Myths art project thread

Post by JW »

Alright, it's been a long time coming, but here's an attempt to list all the art needs of the Era of Myths. This is going to start incomplete, so bear with me. We will start with BASE FRAMES.

All recruitable units in the main era:
blue = finished, green = needs tweaks, red = needs complete redrawing

:arrow: Celestials
Crusader - needs TC and height adjustment
Legionnaire - it is a good sprite, but it doesn't convey what it should: the unit is well armored (has steadfast)
Light Spirit - the unit is okay, but it needs TC. An overhaul could work as well
Messenger - this unit is too small. Should be closer to the size of the Claimant, but less impressive.
Wizard - this unit is pretty solid.
Zealot - good looking unit, but it should be less armored as it is a faster unit. Very minor tweaks please.
:arrow: Devlings
Flappers - just needs TC
Nailer - TC
Overgrown - TC
Sneak - TC
Cursers - TC
:arrow: Elementals
Brazier Creation - TC
Magic Servant - TC
Mystic Puppet - TC
Tidal - TC
Unicorn - TC
Vine Beast - TC
:arrow: Therians
Falcon Therian - major cleanup
Leopard Therian - needs a frame in the style of the serpent and falcon therians: a human that exhibits some qualities of the animal s/he morphs into.
Serpent Therian - major cleanup
Therian Apprentice - total rehaul. Preferably in earth tones and less covered.
Therian Guard - needs to be cleared up.
Therian Monk - this unit is fine and can be animated.
:arrow: Vampires
Blood Apprentice - slightly larger perhaps, cleanup + TC
Bloodborn - too timid looking. Should have commoner clothing.
Blood Hulk - PERFECTION!!! (perhaps a bigger axe though....but no complaints)
Fledgeling - needs a true L1 frame. The current frame is for the L2, and even that needs reworking.
Thin Blood - TC
Vampire Bat - mainline unit
:arrow: Warg
Shapeshifter TC
Stalker - major cleanup + TC
Werewolf - minor cleanup + TC
Wolf Cub - TC needed. Aeth suggested a fur color change to brown. I'm indifferent to the idea.
Fire Sprite - would need TC...will be hard. Perhaps too hard. An overhaul might be needed. The unit could stand to be smaller as well.
Naga Fighter - mainline unit
Wose - mainline unit
:arrow: Windsong
-haven't familiarized myself with which art goes with which unit yet.

Once some more base frames are done, I'll list some more tasks that need doing.
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

Hello! I am currently doing a large campaign with windsong as centrepiece. As such I am finishing all the missing art, balancing, generating lore and backstory and working on descriptions. Here are some ROUGH placeholder images I have made to give me an idea of where to go. Currently, it looks like extra ribbons/gold trimming will signify increase in rank

NOTE THAT THESE ARE NOT FINAL but comments still welcome
Also, I am going to be spending several hours a day for the next couple of months working on them so I think I'll be able to do them all.
EDIT
I still don't like the herald. The pose is right, the head, colouring and shading isn't. Once I have everything done, I think she will be the first I re-do
Attachments
windsong_crystal.png
windsong_crystal.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 16837 times
I forgot to draw her ribbons<br />Going to redraw from scratch
I forgot to draw her ribbons
Going to redraw from scratch
windsong_herald.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 16846 times
windsong_envoy.png
windsong_envoy.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 16836 times
I am going to redraw this from scratch
I am going to redraw this from scratch
windsong_ascendant.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 16839 times
Last edited by henkutsu on December 3rd, 2007, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
lachlanTheMad wrote:I have a premonition of imminent pain..
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

Sorry for double post but I have another one done. I am pretty happy with this one. Still needs more to differentiate between stormbringer and skyrunner but I'll work on that later.

I tried to show an increase in mobility (stormbringer gains skirmisher) as well as power. There are two versions, please say which you like best.
NOTE, this one is not properly TC'd yet. I don't want to do that until I have the unit a bit more finalized.
Attachments
windsong_stormbringer.png
windsong_stormbringer.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 16814 times
windsong_stormbringer_alternate.png
windsong_stormbringer_alternate.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 16813 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'll download EoM and see what i can turn my attention to at some point.

If you feel like snagging any of the artwork i did for the Vorpal Tide (don't know if it would fit, yet, but if it would...) you're welcome to. I don't think Qes is coming back to finish the WML...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
JW

Post by JW »

thespaceinvader wrote:I'll download EoM and see what i can turn my attention to at some point.

If you feel like snagging any of the artwork i did for the Vorpal Tide (don't know if it would fit, yet, but if it would...) you're welcome to. I don't think Qes is coming back to finish the WML...
Got a link to the art? I'll probably do a search real quick too.
-edit-
Was easy to find. Nice sprites, but I don't know how they could be used with the current factions. Anyway, I hope you find something you would like to work on; you did well on that project. 8)

Henketsu: I'm looking forward to your finished projects. ;)
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

O.K, the emissary is now done. Again, not yet TC'd and still a little rough (doesn't look ... royal .. enough. From now on I am also posting the custom description from my campaign with the image (images must relate to stats and description)

Description
"Those Couriers who show themselves to be intelligent and reliable are elevated to the position of Emissary. They are entrusted with transporting documents, precious artefacts and sometimes even Windsong council members. Freed from the physical and mental burden of maintaining large loads, an Emissary is much more agile. This allows her to wield a sword which she uses to slash at enemies in a flurry of charges. Such tactics are dangerous, so Emissaries prefer to use their original weapons if possible."

EDIT
Is it just me or do those rocks look like they would hurt?
Attachments
Not tc'd yet
Not tc'd yet
windsong_emissary.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 16776 times
JW

Post by JW »

I can't tell what's going on wiht the emissary's back in that pic.
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

It is meant to be her bow, I know that it looks bad, and I also intend to up both the lightness and contrast on her arms, legs and add a waist coat when I return to this image.

BTW, I am making these with the head, body, each weapon, each arm, legs, shadows etc on different layers so that animating will be easier.

Oh, and here is an attack icon for the rock bash.

EDIT
I thought people might be interested in how I do my sprites, so I have attached an example file (preview as well) of the one I am working on now, the Reaver. The only part I necro if possible is the head when I do full sprites (most I am doing fairly quickly though so I necro more).

I haven't added colour, fiddled with brightness and contrast, added outlines, or drawn accessories like the bow and rocks yet. This is just the shapes, layers and shading done. You need the Gimp to open the example file.
Attachments
preview
preview
windsong_reaver example.png (2.93 KiB) Viewed 16641 times
windsong_reaver example.xcf.tar.gz
example file
(7.56 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times
EDITED!!! Noticed that the trails went too far to the left upon playtesting
EDITED!!! Noticed that the trails went too far to the left upon playtesting
stone bash.png (3.62 KiB) Viewed 16658 times
Last edited by henkutsu on December 4th, 2007, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
henkutsu

Reaver now done

Post by henkutsu »

Remember, this is not TC'd

Also, I am thinking of changing the Reaver a little. I am thinking of upping the damage of the boulder attack but make it attack_only and adding a weaker boulder bash attack that would be used for defence. The average damage of these attacks would be the same.This would make them a more interesting unit imho as it cannot charge and is slow and armoured but would be weaker in defence (keep in mind this unit has dauntless, higher resistances on attack). Anyway, current description is above, part of the alternate below. btw, "A Reaver: (Old meaning): One who Reaves, who splits, breaks in two or tears apart a targeted object."

Description again, this is kind of long, I may trim it down.

"Among the martial ways taught by the Windsong, the way of the Reavers stands apart for their dedication to open assault rather than speed or trickery. Their order was formed during the Unexpected Trials early in the history of Foundation, when one of the Originator nations attacked the Windsong. Having helped create The Foundation, the Originators knew the secret layouts of the great cities and blockaded, hoping to starve them to death. Couriers from the outlying towns, desperate to break the blockade, clad themselves in heavy armour and stolen breastplates. Younger Couriers were charged with carrying as much food as they could and waiting for an opening, while the older Couriers assaulted the main battle lines head on. Spinning boulders around themselves and firing quickly with their bows, they smashed into the Originators forces. Many fell, but the unexpected ferocity of their attacks succeeded in tearing apart the blockade. This is why those who fight as they did are known as 'Reavers'.

Rather than carrying a few small stones, Reavers carry boulders. They spin these around themselves at speed to attack enemies. This makes counter attacking difficult, reducing the damage they take when attacking. However, if she is caught off guard, an enemy can slip inside the boulders and deal full damage. Another downside is that all three boulders must be roughly the same size and weight, so she must find a suitable set and carry them with her at all times. This slows her down greatly."

Alternated description this is if I change how she attacks at all.

"However, it takes time get the boulders spinning in this manner so this can only be used when attacking. She must resort to the Couriers method of fighting if attacked. Another downside is that all three boulders must be roughly the same size and weight, so she must find a suitable set and carry them with her at all times. This slows her down greatly."

edited in proper meaning of dauntless
Attachments
windsong_reaver.png
windsong_reaver.png (7.72 KiB) Viewed 16622 times
Last edited by henkutsu on December 4th, 2007, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JW

Post by JW »

:shock: Those are huge rocks!! Does it even fit in the hex?
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

Hmm, forgot to check that :lol:

not quite, but close enough. If they were resting on the ground they would but they are floating. They ARE within the left/right limits though.. maybe I should shift her a little to the left? Meh, I'll do that later. 10 units left to go!

Btw, what do you think her?

Actually, I may make this the sprite for the Dreadnought and create a slightly less-powerful looking one for the Reaver. Description still stands though. Oh man, I CANNOT wait to animate these :) "Spinning rocks of DOOOOOOM"

EDIT (I do a lot of these don't I?) Just realised that I has said that the dauntless ability only effected melee, which is incorrect. I have gone back and edited the description above.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

If they don't fit the hex, it might be worth trying to use halos to provide the effect.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
henkutsu

Post by henkutsu »

No need for a halo, wesnoth draws them just fine (as they fit within the left/right) I went back and re-did her (even though I said I wouldn't), pulled the rocks in a little, coloured them slightly brown so that they didn't merge with her visually, and shifted her a little to the left. She fits in the hex now. I also removed the hood and drew some ribbons. I'm going to use the hood for the dreadnought.

Also, this one IS TC'd (just tested, works fine)
Attachments
windsong_reaver.png
windsong_reaver.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 16568 times
JW

Post by JW »

The last couple sprites have not looked very feminine...is there a chance you could work on that?
Ebob

Crystal

Post by Ebob »

I know this isn't a very big change, but I thought the crystal looked too round on the bottom. :)
Attachments
Her it is! Pointier bottom
Her it is! Pointier bottom
windsong_crystal_124.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 16505 times
You should see my staff!