Invasion from the Unknown (1.9.99) for Wesnoth 1.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

Tom of wesnoth wrote:I do not think scenario 3 is balanced i was outnumbered 10 to 1.The elven level 1 magic is too weak to fight undead i was thinking of a elven mage with 2-2 staff and 9-4 elven blast.You should make glas an elven guard.
not that I felt that need anyway there is that fire unit in EE that could be imported too.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

0.1.70 Published. And I'm still trying yo make up a good unit concept for a shaman or mage which has an arcane attack at L1. lu_zero, I can't figure out what unit you meant with the "fire unit" from Extended Era.

Anyway, on to the more serious stuff:
- I added a L0 Elvish Civilian unit for balancing, as I intend to reduce the amount of gold the player can access to after scenario 2. You will really need 0 income units at some point. Thanks Shadow/wayfarer for the idea, although I haven't used it yet for scenario 2; that's for version 0.1.80 I think.
- Reduced the package size, rumour has it. Otherwise it would have been huger or something.
- New L2 Elvish Horseman unit added as alternate advancement from L1 Elvish Scout.
- Starting with scenario 5, the player can recruit Dark Adepts.
- The Chaos Invoker unit line now has TC (see the EE artwork thread).
- Killing the orc leaders in scenario 6 now is obligatory. The older objective didn't make sense at all for the storyline. They can no longer recruit trolls, btw.
- Fixed bug in global code which caused your loyal sidekicks not to get loyal actually, in scenario 7.
- Fixed and restored undead rise-up event code. Now it should work properly.
- Increased Skeleton Rider line movement points.
- Fixed bugs related to Dark Adept unit code.
- Completed new scenario 9 replacement. Removed old code.
- Added stub in each scenario to update your character's portraits format from PNG to JPEG. This shall be removed as soon as 0.2 is out or 5 new releases come out, whatever happens first.
- Revised maps for low MP units friendliness.
- Revised Dread Bat stats to fit the 1.3.x standard for bats.
- Added Gutwrencher Imp (L3) to advance from Blood Imp.
- Fixed various unit animation code bugs.
- Balancing of existing units.

Wesnoth 1.3.8 or newer recommended. SVN builds do even better. ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

I meant the Fire Faerie

btw should I replay the game or I could be off playing the new scenario post hacking the saves to fit?
cordobatim

Nice work!

Post by cordobatim »

Very nice campaign. I enjoyed it very much. I'm looking forward to the continuation.

Your English is very good. There are a few spots where the translation isn't quite right, but overall you do quite well.

Felicitaciones.
Deliverator

Post by Deliverator »

Hi, I'm trying to play this campaign in 1.3.9, but it crashed on me in Scenario 4 the first time Keshar tried to resurrect one of my fallen Elvish units. I haven't replayed since then, so I'm not sure it wasn't just a one-time thing, but I thought I'd post it in case it had happened to anyone else.

Matt
"The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory." - Neal Stephenson, "Snow Crash"
Deliverator

Post by Deliverator »

Yep, happened again.

Matt
"The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory." - Neal Stephenson, "Snow Crash"
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Deliverator wrote:Hi, I'm trying to play this campaign in 1.3.9, but it crashed on me in Scenario 4 the first time Keshar tried to resurrect one of my fallen Elvish units. I haven't replayed since then, so I'm not sure it wasn't just a one-time thing, but I thought I'd post it in case it had happened to anyone else.

Matt
While away, I found out the bug. I'm not sure whether it's Wesnoth's engine fault or I was just doing wrong the procedure. In any case, version 0.2.0 will be published today in a few hours with the bug work-arounded (i.e., the undead resurrection makes the WC appear one hex away from the original unit, but at least the game does not crash).
I meant the Fire Faerie

btw should I replay the game or I could be off playing the new scenario post hacking the saves to fit?
The Fire Faerie features after scenario 11. However, I modified the regular Shaman to have a regular arcane damage attack that should be effective against undead in the caves.

And yes, after version 0.2.0, you should restart, unless you want to spend some time hacking the save files. I don't think it is really necessary unless you got past scenario 7, in any case, as the new recruitable units get updated nevertheless at the victory event of that scenario.

Note: in any case, if you are going to use old savefiles, make sure you start from the "scenario start" save (i.e. those that are named "scenario title goes here", NOT the first turn save/autosave, they are not the same thing). Otherwise, the bug fixes will have no effect.
Last edited by Iris on October 22nd, 2007, 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Deliverator

Post by Deliverator »

Awesome, thanks!

Matt
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

New release! 0.2.0 is out and ready to play in the campaign server. What changes are so worthy the
version bump between 0.1.70 and 0.2.0? Well, 13 scenarios are now completed, closing the 2nd episode
with a climatic, epic finale, which you really don't want to miss :). Scenario 10's map and AI
players were balanced, so the scenario should be easier to beat (translation: should be possible
to beat in finite time ;))

As the included music has not made it into mainline yet, I splitted the package to make it
easier for low bandwidth people to play this campaign. I really care, as I once was a low bandwidth
person who could not play most content due to that limitation :(. Anyway, the music pack
is named "Invasion from the Unknown - Musicpack" and has the same version of the campaign
trunk.

What else? The Aragwaithi were imported from EE completely, along with their unit artwork (thanks
Shadow/Wayfarer, once again). Modified the Elvish Shamans available since scenario 1, so that they
are more helpful underground (i.e. they have an additional, regular ranged arcane attack now).
Poor Elynia, she suffered some balancing tweaks to make her more mortal, so that she is not so
easy to keep alive ;). This is specially important for her AMLAs. In any case, you want to have
saved a last turn of Scenario 10 before she appears, to have the changes correctly applied.

Some graphic improvements (Goliath's TC now works), new foes, and important balancing to the
natural spirits's stats were also done, along with some important bugfixes. All of them are
mentioned in the changelog (/changelog.txt) in case you want to waste your time reading it.

BTW, the package's size was importantly increased due to addition of legends_of_the_north.ogg,
currently mainline but restricted to NR's datadir, and I have not been able to figure out a
binary path hack to solve it without including the whole NR datadir (which contains some
filenames that would conflict with IftU).

I have not published this in Wescamp due to lack of time and unstability in the translatable
text strings (i.e., they are too likely to change today or after), but I think it is about
time to do it anyways. I am particularly curious about the Spanish translation, because I'm
a mainline translator to Spanish, but I don't feel like translating my very own campaign.
Call it lazyness, but I don't think a campaign author should translate his/her own campaign,
as that would be prone to introduce important rewording in the translation.

So this is it so far. Enjoy!

KNOWN BUGS:

- Rised-up undead from your units spawn in the closest vacant hex tile to the dead guy. It might not be good in some cases,
i.e. when you are in a cave, it is highly possible that the undead spawns in a cavewall tile, but since they are mainly decoys,
I don't really care much for this bug now.
- As Extended Era's binary path declaration is outside the MULTIPLAYER #ifdef, most
of its data interfers with this campaign, obscuring some updated graphics and make
them look outdated. Fortunately, AFAIK, this campaign's WML is not obscured (yet).
- Your loyal sidekicks are *resurrected* in next scenario if they die in battle.
This is a bug, not a feature, in case you were wondering, and I *hope* to fix it
before version 0.3.0 is out.

PLANS for version 0.3.0:

- Finish Episode 3
- Have new art for the Chaos Empire (a.k.a. "Loyalists") faction units.
It is already in progress, by myself.

edit: sorry for the early line-jumps here, it is just that I copied everything from /release_notes.txt in the campaign's dir. ;)

EDIT2: For the curious that were arguing over what an Elven Mage stats should be, I'm using a modified Elvish Shaman that only has, as addition, a Faerie Fire ranged 4-3 attack (arcane, specials: Magical).
cordobatim

Spanish translation

Post by cordobatim »

Too bad. I was hoping to get the original Spanish from you to help you touch up the English translation a bit (although my Spanish is Argentine, surely we can get along). Now I know there is no Spanish translation. <sigh>

Still, it's a great campaign. If I get a chance, I'll try and send along a couple of suggestions for the few mistakes you make in your English.

Keep up the great work!

---Tim
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Spanish translation

Post by Iris »

cordobatim wrote:Too bad. I was hoping to get the original Spanish from you to help you touch up the English translation a bit (although my Spanish is Argentine, surely we can get along). Now I know there is no Spanish translation. <sigh>
Oh?

The problem here is that there are no originals. I wrote all this stuff in English, just like I publish them. So I didn't do the Spanish translation myself because I would end up unbalancing the base English text by adding touch-ups in Spanish. Not that I really mind... um...

Well, let's see if I get to put this onto Wescamp first. Then I might have some inspiration to do the translation of what I consider "stable".

In any case, your interest helps me a lot already in getting the might to face Wescamp's dark side now.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I have some technical issues with WesCamp and svn+ssh to BerliOS, but I published version 0.2.1 to the campaign server nevertheless. Good excuse to bump my thread and fix the title that was outdated (said 0.1.70 when the last published was 0.2.0; now it is 0.2.1).

Changes so far:
* Fixed Vengeful Pursuit (Boss theme) having an annoying three seconds silence at start. This goes to the "Invasion from the Unknown Musicpack" addon to allow low band-width users download the actual campaign which is much smaller. Also, legends_of_the_north.ogg will no longer be redistributed in the music pack after BFW 1.3.10 is released, because truly yours moved it in SVN trunk from NR's datadir to core's.
* Renamed textdomain "wesnoth-UInvasion" to "wesnoth-Invasion_from_the_Unknown" as requested by Torangan. This does not affect gameplay yet, because as you already know, there are no translations to be used by the textdomain manager :P.
* Lots of typos added to changelog, it was 2:00 AM when I was doing the stuff mentioned below:

Code: Select all

2007-10.23:
- 8zsleepty
- Gaphixz:
	* Shadow updarwa ro base frames: Animted Rock
2007-10-22:
- Music:
	-- From this point, all updates to the music pack go to its own changelog.txt --
- Graphics:
	* Removed unused graphics:
		+ Elvish Warden base frame - shall never be used, I won't grant the
		  Elvish Guard a L3 advancement because of asthethical reasons.
		+ Mutated humans baseframes
		+ Something else I don't recall right now because if'm sleepy right now. possibly tomorrow hsall remember
	* Updated/recolored base frames: Iron Golem, Chaos Magus.
	* Shadow updates to base frames: Elvish Guard, Loyalist Deathguard (also made the spear longer),
	  Faerie Fire, Faerie Sprite, Masked Chaos Warlord.
	* Imported standing frames from contribs gallery for fmuñoz (not used yet):
		+ Kagthanus Spearbearer (?) (L1)
		+ Kagthanus Light Trooper (L2)
		+ Kagthanus Heavy Trooper (L3)
- Units:
	* Fixed Gutwrencher Imp's ranged attack animation not triggering; attack_filter was on
	  "name=mud glob" when it's actually "name=slime".
	* Balancing:
		+ Eyestalk can no longer move around in flat terrains.
		+ Lowered boss 2 (Chaos Warlord) base MP from 6 to 5; old
		  value did not make sense for an armored unit.
	* Added units:
		+ L0 Worker Droid (advances to Automaton).
		+ L0 Minor Imp (advances to Imp).
		+ L2 Iron Golem as interim level unit for the Automaton - Goliath line. Now
		  Automaton advances to Iron Golem, which advances to non-boss Goliath.
		+ Reduced non-boss Goliath's base HP from 70 to 58 - increased damage type
		  resistances make a high HP make no sense at all.
- Scenarios:
	* 7 - The Elf and Goliath
		+ Boss1 no longer gets random traits, which was never intended.
		  (addresses feature implemented in 1.3.x - burp)
	* 13 - Face your Fate
		+ Boss2 no longer gets random traits, which was never intended.
	* Made it so that any future bosses shall never get random traits, which would not be
	  intended in anyway (they are historical characters - can't be randomly modified)
Yes, bugfixes as you can see above, along with some balancing and new units for the foes.

Enjoy!

NOTE:
Shadow Master wrote: * Removed unused graphics [...] something else I don't recall right now because I'm sleepy.
[...]
- 8zsleepty
- Gaphixz:
* Shadow updarwa ro base frames: Animted Rock
And no, that is not Spanish. It's just sleepy English. I might have introduced new bugs in the process, so go hunt'em! :) (Just kidding.)
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

the shaman+fire tends to die a lot more than standard unit =/ (damn ia)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Impossible. Has the same stats. Exactly the same stats, out of the added attack.
Deliverator

Post by Deliverator »

The only reason I could see for that happening is if you're using the Shamans differently now, for instance, sending them to the front lines more often because they're WICKED BADASS. That, combined with using the non-slowing ranged attack more, could easily result in more Shaman fatalities, but that's not a design flaw.

Matt