First contribution

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dkaufman
Music Contributor

First contribution

Post by dkaufman »

I'm a full time television and film composer and sound designer.
I stumbled onto Wesnoth not too long ago, and I've really been enjoying the game.
I thought I'd contribute an orchestral/choral piece. I composed it before reading through this forum to see what all was needed (sorry), so I'm afraid it's a bit short. But if anyone has a use for it, please go for it. If you do use it, I'd love to be notified so I can check it out. My e-mail is dpkaufman (at) gmail.com.
I look forward to contributing more in the future - if you have any suggestions, fire away.
Here's the link:

http://www.box.net/shared/yopoe1hvh2

Doug Kaufman
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

I belive you, after hearing your piece of music. This is really quality music in a classical style. You have the ability to make good music for Battle of Wesnoth. I like to hear more from you.

For more information about whats needed to make a fitting soundtrack for BfW you should talk directly with Aleksy or Timothy P. They are our main music developers. It can be, that they need some days to answer you. I hope that it is no problem for you. Welcome!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

sounds very nice. thanks for contributing. This would be a good track to play when the good guys are rallying to battle with a confident attitude and ready for a comeback.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

What vonHalenbach said - that piece is amazing; I really like what the vocal bits do to contrast the deeper work from the percussion et al.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I agree with the others. Please try to get the attention of our music devs and work with them to get some nice new music into Wesnoth!
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
dkaufman
Music Contributor

Post by dkaufman »

I'll try to contact Aleksy or Timothy to see what's most needed.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

So far, I like what I hear, especially the choir. It reminds me of "Breaking the Chains," the piece most recently added to mainline. Anyway, I think it has potential, but it would be nice if it were longer.

One idea would be to make what's already been done the main theme and add some variations.
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Just listened to the piece. I like the orchestrations a lot. As mentioned, the choir works very well.

The melodic material seems a bit static and forgettable but I imagine this would work extremely well in context, during a battle because of its presence. I would say to get a bit more varied with the attention to instrumentation and build upon the theme a bit to give more textural consideration to the buildup.

Cool! :)
jeremy2
Music Contributor

Post by jeremy2 »

Cool. Sounds good. My only suggestion at the moment: make it longer :). It would be really cool to hear more interplay between the mystical choir part at the end and the more driving orchestration near the beginning if you made it longer.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yeah, could be longer. A very nice piece, perfect for user-made campaigns in its current length. I didn't expect something so good when I was about to play it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Perhaps get a little bass (both drum and upright) sounds in on the action?
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

VERY cool. It is, like you said, a bit short, but it's certainly good enough to be expanded and made into a usable piece. Heck, it might be useful to have this in-game as is for shorter campaigns... not all piece need to be 6 minutes long, IIRC.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Airk

Post by Airk »

I have no musical talent, but I know what I like, and this is mighty fine stuff. I look forward to hearing more of your work in the game!
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I think it needs to be longer, but i think it fits well with the game.
I wouldn't be against adding it.

Aleksi.
esr
Retired Developer

Superb!

Post by esr »

I agree with most of the comments here; this is a wonderful piece, very much in the spirit of the BfW library. Could be longer, could use a bit more base for a fuller sound, but -- way cool! You definitely have what it takes to compose for Wesnoth.

If you have a new version I'd like to hear it. Torangan made me aware that things are a bit stalled on the music forums; if Timothy and Aleksi remain too busy to tag and commit stuff I'll get on it.