indoors time-of-day image

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
MadMax

indoors time-of-day image

Post by MadMax »

Can someone please draw a time-of-day image that would fit an indoors setting (it'd be used in a manor)? Even a placeholder would do.

Thanks in advance.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Re: indoors time-of-day image

Post by irrevenant »

MadMax wrote:Can someone please draw a time-of-day image that would fit an indoors setting (it'd be used in a manor)? Even a placeholder would do.
What times of day are required? Is it dawn/dusk equivalent all the time?
MadMax

Re: indoors time-of-day image

Post by MadMax »

irrevenant wrote:
MadMax wrote:Can someone please draw a time-of-day image that would fit an indoors setting (it'd be used in a manor)? Even a placeholder would do.
Is it dawn/dusk equivalent all the time?
Yes.

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Will one of these two suit?

[EDIT] P.S. I wouldn't object if anyone wanted to offer critique on the art, either.
Attachments
Schedule-Indoor.png
Schedule-Indoor.png (11.35 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
Schedule-Indoor2.png
Schedule-Indoor2.png (10.27 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
TL

Post by TL »

Textures are pretty good, but I think it's too bright and the brightness is too even. I'd expect to see something more along the lines of this edit. (I may have overdone it a bit with the shadows and I know the sconces should be casting shadows, but I just whipped this up as a quick demonstration)
Attachments
quick edit to show idea of shadows
quick edit to show idea of shadows
Schedule-Indoor-Edited.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

irrevenant wrote:Will one of these two suit?

[EDIT] P.S. I wouldn't object if anyone wanted to offer critique on the art, either.
Indoor.png will work fine, although I would prefer a little more shading (like TL did in his edit, but not as strong), but I do like showing that segment of the floor. However, I'm worried that the candles and their casts in TL's version resemble a pair of breasts too much (no offense meant). But thanks for doing this!

TL

Post by TL »

Curses! My attempt at slipping covert pr0n into Wesnoth has been foiled!

Actually I had been thinking that adding a third sconce in the middle might be ideal anyhow, since that would brighten things up a bit without having to crank up the illumination on the torches. Plus as I mentioned a more detailed layout of shadows would include the shadows cast by the sconces, which would get rid of some of the offending roundedness.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Ugh, dull. How about a picture of a generic room inside a castle rather than a boring old passageway? An empty throne room or something, perhaps?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'd actually propose something with perspective. Otherwise I like TL's one (it'd just need to be a little bit brighter IMO).
Attachments
schedule-indoors.png
schedule-indoors.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Simons Mith wrote:Ugh, dull. How about a picture of a generic room inside a castle rather than a boring old passageway? An empty throne room or something, perhaps?
I deliberately came up with something generic. It would look weird if all the rooms of the castle looked like an empty throne room. I'm also deliberately going for something with dawn/dusk-level lighting levels.

P.S. Yes, it was kind of dumb forgetting that a couple of small torches would provide lower levels of base light than an electric bulb. :? Hopefully the attached is better.

[EDIT] To Zookeeper: I was also deliberately avoiding windows for similar reasons - the graphic needs to work at all times of (external) day or night.

[EDIT2] A bit of a play with perspective. It's a bit rough (ie. a tad wonky) but I don't have time to work on it more just at the moment. And it could use some antialiasing.

[EDIT3] Tweaked the bit between the two walls to remove the curved shadow. Will play more later.
Attachments
Indoor wall1-3.png
Indoor wall1-3.png (12.21 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
Indoor wall1-2.png
Indoor wall1-2.png (12.69 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
Last edited by irrevenant on August 22nd, 2007, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparr

Post by sparr »

if you have mages then youll also need a daytime image
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

In the last one, the 'division' between the walls is curved, although the walls are straight.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

As a concept, indoor1-3 is a lot better - the perspective helps add a bit of interest. The 'throne room "or something"' suggestion was meant to suggest any castle room one might reasonably expect to encounter. I do stand by my statement that corridors are dull. But I do appreciate that with the shape of the time-of-day sprite, a long thin room is probably preferable.

Two other suggestions - most castles have a 'long gallery', 'long room' or somesuch - that would not be too unreasonable as a generic indoor location that fits the required shape of the sprite. Anotehr possibility is a vault. A dimly-lit area with a traditional vaulted ceiling. That's better because it's more generic. Could also work for crytpts and things. Another way to add interest might be to add a doorway into the sprite. Don't have time to say much more now or provide reference images - may get a better chance in a day or two or at the weekend.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I like the style of Indoor 1-3. Just polish it a little, and it'll be used (I actually put it in already, to test the WML). Also, I think Simons Mith's ideas may work as well.

@sparr: I don't have mages in this level, although I would include a daytime image anyway if I had it.