Recalling Peasants

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
thepinkpunk

Recalling Peasants

Post by thepinkpunk »

It seems to me to be in general harmony with the game to permit peasants (level 0 units) to be recalled for 10 Gold.

Currently they merely 'clutter' the recall list - they are hardly ever (if ever) worth recalling for 20 Gold.
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...
billdoor

Post by billdoor »

So if a unit level-0 could be recalled for 10 gold, what'd be the recall cost of a level-3 unit (let alone a level-4 unit)?
thepinkpunk

Post by thepinkpunk »

As at present - 20 Gold.

Level 0 units are different to other units (e.g. they do not have a ZOC).
They don't do much except die!

My suggestion would permit 'survivors' to have a continued presence in a campaign.
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride...
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: Recalling Peasants

Post by Rhuvaen »

thepinkpunk wrote:Currently they merely 'clutter' the recall list
There's a little delete button on the right to take care of that.
sparr

Post by sparr »

I have actually recalled a few peasants lately. In The South Guard you get some Loyal peasants, well worth the extra 10g investment that one time.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

IMHO the current situation could be seen as realistic.

You pay recruitment and upkeep cost to make people pick up weapons and join you in a local fight. You pay for their military skill.

You pay recall cost to make them travel with you long distance. You pay for the food and transport.

The food and transport for weak fighter and strong fighter are almost same. So it does not make sense to transport weak, replaceable units. You really do not want to pay a big voyage for a peasant, because you will find peasants everywhere. Unless that one peasant is somehow special.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I like it how it is.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I proposed this some time ago, If I recall right the general respose was good however I don't think it got anywhere.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

One problem with the idea is that it would require making recalling of ALL level 0 units cost only 10 gold, which means (for example) Vampire Bats would cost less to recall than to recruit, and that some non-mainline level 0 units like the Lavinian Auxiliary would be way overpowered in campaigns...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Reducing it to 15?
Sometimes I would like to recall this guys for sentimental reasons or just for the kicks to leveling them.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

turin wrote:(...) which means (for example) Vampire Bats would cost less to recall than to recruit
Horsemen and gryphons cost less to recall than to recruit too.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
MDG

Post by MDG »

There is a related thread started by Chris NS which would allow a great deal of flexibility for people to try things out...
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Yes, recalling a peasant( which only costs 8gp to recruit) seems to be completely silly to recall at 20gp unless they're loyal units. But I can see where making them 10gp to recall could be abused.

Let's say the peasant's xp is 17/18. One successful attack or defense and this peasant is now a level 1 unit that only cost 10gp to put on the field.

This can be alleviated by the recalling of peasants at the rate of their xp with a minimum of 10gp and a maximum of 20gp. By the 17/18 xp example above, recalling that particular peasant would be 17gp. If the xp was 9/18 or less, the cost would be 10gp. If 21/23, the cost would be 20gp.

Least it's something to think about.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Edward V Riley wrote:Yes, recalling a peasant( which only costs 8gp to recruit) seems to be completely silly to recall at 20gp unless they're loyal units. But I can see where making them 10gp to recall could be abused.

Let's say the peasant's xp is 17/18. One successful attack or defense and this peasant is now a level 1 unit that only cost 10gp to put on the field.
Given the amount of effort required to get a peasant to 17xp that doesn't seem abusive.

And remember that the L1 units you're recalling for 20GP will have XP under their belt too - otherwise you'd be recruiting new ones.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Edward V Riley wrote:Let's say the peasant's xp is 17/18. One successful attack or defense and this peasant is now a level 1 unit that only cost 10gp to put on the field.
Let's say I recall a knight with 119 XP. One successful attack or defence and this knight is now a level 3 unit that only cost 20gp to put on the field.

*gasp*