Bridges

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
CountPenguin

Bridges

Post by CountPenguin »

There should be bridges over more than just water. Like bridges over chasms and swamps.
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

Been proposed, we like it, haven't got around to it... At least i think that's the current status of this. Just wait, there are bigger priorities for the devs at the moment.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Isn't it possible to make the bridges overlays so that you can place them on a variety of terrain? It seems inefficient to create artworks of the same bridge on different terrain. (Some terrains would call for a different bridge, of course).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

No it's not possible. (If it was, don't you think we wouldn't done it already? :?) The reason is, the bridge overlays don't just have the bridge itself, they have how the bridge enters the water.. having blue ripples around the bridge posts while it's sitting in swamp (or worse - in midair) really wouldn't make much sense.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Re: Bridges

Post by Noyga »

CountPenguin wrote:There should be bridges over more than just water. Like bridges over chasms and swamps.
AFAIK there is already bridges over swamps in 1.3.x.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:No it's not possible. (If it was, don't you think we wouldn't done it already? :?)
Maybe. You guys rock but there are only so many hours in the day to implement stuff.
turin wrote:The reason is, the bridge overlays don't just have the bridge itself, they have how the bridge enters the water.
Good point...
cretin

Post by cretin »

Just throwing out an idea. Rope bridges for chasms. But that means drawing a new bridge
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Rope bridges hang, so that would mean the tiles would be different from
one another depending on length of said bridge. Also, no turning corners.

Stone bridges would work though, and it's something they've mentioned
wanting to do in the past. I tried my own hand at making a version of
them, but it's not easy - don't believe I was able to get the photoshop
actions properly working.

Thing about stone bridges, they can't work like a normal bridge* - they
need long support columns vanishing down into the darkness. So you'd
probably need to make a real tile with transitions, like the cave -> chasm.

*Well, I guess they could in a limited fashion with no supports, but if you planned on having
a long bridge or one turning corners, it would look awfully strange...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

If there was a rope bridge, you'd want units to be REALLY vulnerable on it, which would mean making a new terrain type, or something.

Unless it's an intended gameplay effect, I'd say make it a stone bridge.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

I am working on bridges over chasms (I know I've been saying this for some time, but I should have something presentable soon. If only to silence this topic once and for all).
Aurë entuluva!
sparr

Post by sparr »

You draw the art, I will write the WML.

Bridges are my pet project :)

As a matter of fact, I might get started on the WML early... Shouldn't be too hard to make the existing bridge overlay sit (quite ugly with water ripples) on top of void or lava...

One problem will be resistances. Bridge is always water+land, afaik, and it will be odd if you have a merman standing on a lava bridge getting 60% defense.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

sparr wrote:One problem will be resistances. Bridge is always water+land, afaik, and it will be odd if you have a merman standing on a lava bridge getting 60% defense.
Why not make it a mixture of lava and land then?
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

sparr wrote:You draw the art, I will write the WML.

Bridges are my pet project :)

As a matter of fact, I might get started on the WML early... Shouldn't be too hard to make the existing bridge overlay sit (quite ugly with water ripples) on top of void or lava...
There was not much work neccessary to get it working. The bridge macro works quite well for all kind of bridges, I just needed to add the possibility to use different layers.
sparr wrote: One problem will be resistances. Bridge is always water+land, afaik, and it will be odd if you have a merman standing on a lava bridge getting 60% defense.
Bridges over chasms/lava will obviously have different terrain aliases. That's really not a problem.
Aurë entuluva!
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I take it none of you ever had a land unit spawn in chasm. Looks far more funny than a supportless stone bridge would.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
DDR

Post by DDR »

I like this idea.
Why not make the bridge in one-tile spans? I mean, from one cave tile over lava to another cave tile opposite the first. It would be limited (no multi-hex spans), but still...