Request for Comments: Advertising on wesnoth.org

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Currently I'm testing the following ads:

- an ad for users of IE, which will try to get them to convert to Firefox
- regular AdSense ads, but only for Windows users
- the Google search bar.
turin wrote: That's the ad? Why the heck would Google pay money for that?
If you put a Google search bar on your site, and people use it to search, and then click on ads as a result of the search, Google will derive revenue. They will give a portion of this revenue to you.

Seeing as this is quite a useful thing to have on one's site, and since one can also earn money from it, it seems like a rather good idea all around in many cases.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

Beware Wesnothians, the Dark Side has just started invading Your world.
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dave wrote:Currently I'm testing the following ads:

- an ad for users of IE, which will try to get them to convert to Firefox
- regular AdSense ads, but only for Windows users
- the Google search bar.
I'm using Windows XP with Internet Explorer 7 right now, as it's early and the computer room is not available yet, and I see no Get firefox add, only the regular Google AdSense ads.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

I visited the page with an Mocosoft Güindows with IE 6 yesterday and i saw the ad under development version downloads.
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Since I did not see any of the ads myself (a happy linux/mac user with firefox), I did login into a Windows system with the IE installed to make a screenshot. Here is the result of how the page did appear to me today at 5:30pm CEST.
Attachments
wesnoth_ads.jpg
wesnoth_ads.jpg (108.61 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

Ha I love it. Why aren't all web sites like this?

~~~~ happy Camino user
"Then I'd prefer you refer to it as 'The Midlands'"

If I'm supposed to fight creeping biggerism, then why is it a game feature?
cretin

Post by cretin »

To tell you the truth im so used to seeing adds on every other website that I never actually noticed the adds there. And if it gets your money bah cant argue with that.
kcits

Post by kcits »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:I think we should advertise things that help the game in funds, like the T-shirt thing. Thats probably going to raise more funds then getting a Beserker to drink coke :lol: becuase people might want to get those shirts, and that'll get more people, and some of those people will donate, giving us money from the guy with the T-shirt for buying it, and dotation money.
I agree, maybe using Cafe Press or something like that... maybe there is a screen printer out there on the forum?

Though I don't mind adds as long as they are not overlapping or obstructing the content of the site. If they stay in their little box or side then it is all cool with me.

Edit: if people click on the adds on the site, does that make revenue for wesnoth? why not just click a few adds each time we visit? :?

Edit #2: is there a donate button somewhere for wesnoth that i just missed?

Edit #3: Does the advertising disapear when you log into the site?
River, please, why don't you come on out?
"No! I can't. Too much hair."...
DDR

Post by DDR »

I can't find the ads. :? Where are they? I am using firefox, if it matters.

If I could find them, I would do my click for wesnoth.
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

hey that's true. where are the ads?
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

kcits wrote:Edit #2: is there a donate button somewhere for wesnoth that i just missed?
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=donate should help.
multilis

Most money from ads?

Post by multilis »

How about ads for Microsoft? They have money! For example, how independent Microsoft sponsored studies show how Microsoft products work better than open source.

(Perhaps we could even have a cross-patent indemnity deal like Novell with a cash bonus)

If those wacky open source fanatics get excited, we can just say the whole deal is managed by a third party ad agency.

;)
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Most money from ads?

Post by Iris »

multilis wrote:How about ads for Microsoft?
As they people at MS said before, they don't want to have anything to do with open-source project, it's just against their religion.

I do have a complain about the Get Firefox ad, though. It's not obstrusive enough. :D The text should be in a cell that looked like a pop-up or something (i.e. those tiny, so-called "tooltip" boxes present in Windows and most modern user-friendly UNIX desktop environments?)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Shadow Master wrote: The text should be in a cell that looked like a pop-up or something (i.e. those tiny, so-called "tooltip" boxes present in Windows and most modern user-friendly UNIX desktop environments?)
Or it could open another Tab on IE, not really bothering us, just go back to the original tab with Wesnoth.org in it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:Or it could open another Tab on IE, not really bothering us, just go back to the original tab with Wesnoth.org in it.
Keep in mind that not all Windows users have IE7 installed, in some cases because they're using an incompatible Windows version, others don't have idea of IE7, and others don't have it because of obscure reasons. And IE7 is the only version as of now that supports Tabs.