What do you think of Spacenoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sabata

What do you think of Spacenoth?

Post by Sabata »

So? Great, Good, Ok, Bad, Horrible...
We fall to rise again.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'm not too keen on it, mostly because I think it's too much like Wesnoth and I don't see playing Wesnoth with space graphics as very interesting.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

My biggest problem with it was the lack of veritety in terrain. Other than that I thought that if fully developed it might be interesting but I doubt it will ever be as good as mainline.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

zookeeper wrote:I'm not too keen on it, mostly because I think it's too much like Wesnoth and I don't see playing Wesnoth with space graphics as very interesting.
We'll take that in consideration... any idea of what would you like to see on it?

But you know it is having some changes here and there...
Velensk wrote:My biggest problem with it was the lack of veritety in terrain.
Yeah... any idea?
We fall to rise again.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

No or else I would have listed it. In my opinion the terrain properties you might want to include if you can find a name for them are.

Slows movement/ low defence
Slows some ships movment/ low defence for some high for others
Slows movment allot/ very high defence
May not be entered
No movment modifiers for most ships/low defence for some high for others
Slows some ship movment/ high defence (simular to asteroids)
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sabata wrote:
zookeeper wrote:I'm not too keen on it, mostly because I think it's too much like Wesnoth and I don't see playing Wesnoth with space graphics as very interesting.
We'll take that in consideration... any idea of what would you like to see on it?

But you know it is having some changes here and there...
Probably things like ranged attacks, building stuff (starbases, stationary defenses or something like that), changing the economy to be less Wesnoth-like (I'm assuming it's more or less the same) and some other unspecified gameplay changes (proper land battles?).

And yes, I'm more or less aware of the reasons why these haven't been done.
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

zookeeper wrote: Probably things like ranged attacks, building stuff (starbases, stationary defenses or something like that), changing the economy to be less Wesnoth-like (I'm assuming it's more or less the same) and some other unspecified gameplay changes (proper land battles?).

And yes, I'm more or less aware of the reasons why these haven't been done.
Well you're the best person to know that we use wesnoth core files... ranged attack looks hard, but stuff like stacionary defence is under discussion, we may use that to protect colonized planets, but it will cost you.
Planetary battles will be on next release.
We fall to rise again.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

hmm... I have an idea it might or might not go along with your vision. have planets take up say 7 hexes instead of 1, each one would provide income. Have it so that spaceships can't go onto the planet and that you need land forces to do this. Land forces can travle through space, but are slow and vunerable while doing so. for alternative sources of income (that work the way villages do in wesnoth) have a specific crystal or something in space that might be valueable.

Just an idea I doubt it would make it into the game but it would definatly diversify it.

(If you do this you might wish to creat an alternate range specificaly for ground forces, and maybe a damage type too)
Legowarrior

Post by Legowarrior »

I think defense systems might be cool. Slow moving 0 level units thats are strong as weak level 1 units.

I like the idea of a space opera strategy, but then I would want to control fleets and battleships, not fighters and corevettes.
Pladio

Post by Pladio »

Terrain types :

Empty space ~ Grassland

Asteroid field = Perfect place for small ships, very high defense for them, but reduces speed significantly. Hurts big ships (- 4 HP / turn in terms of Wesnoth HP thingies) and reduces defenses and speed.

Black Hole = 99% defense but reduces health -8 HP/t and can kill the unit. (good hiding place but if surrounded you can say byebye to your unit.)

Planets act like villages

Repair/Fuel stations bad defense but heal a bit more than villages.

Wharfs(sp?) = Keep + Castle

Nebula = High defense for most ships but low movement rate (hills ?)

So, my two cents :)
Me1234

Post by Me1234 »

hmm... I have an idea it might or might not go along with your vision. have planets take up say 7 hexes instead of 1, each one would provide income. Have it so that spaceships can't go onto the planet and that you need land forces to do this. Land forces can travle through space, but are slow and vunerable while doing so. for alternative sources of income (that work the way villages do in wesnoth) have a specific crystal or something in space that might be valueable.

Just an idea I doubt it would make it into the game but it would definatly diversify it.

(If you do this you might wish to creat an alternate range specificaly for ground forces, and maybe a damage type too)
i agree, but there should be a few transports that have a weak attack but maderate HP and they could carry four land units to take out planets. there should be different sized planets. more when i find it. :wink:
Confucious say "If you stand on toilet, you high on pot."
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Having played the demo, I can say I like the idea of Spacenoth and I’m looking forward to any developments.

One thing I really liked was the use of satellites to show the ownership of a planet. What I’d suggest is that all different civilisations have a different type of satellite, after all they all use different technologies.

Of course, this is hardly an important aspect of the game, so I mostly would like to say I wish all those working on Spacenoth the best of luck.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
unsung

Post by unsung »

Not bad.

just make a taiidan faction- If you ask sierra nicley, they'll make homeworld open- source so it'll be legal*. then I'd love it.

*They seem to just love making old games free.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

To diversify terrain, if it hasn't been proposed yet : make 2 different asteroid field, 1 with poor density (= hill ?) another with high density (= mountain ?). I'm not sure whether terrain diversification is the solution, but as gameplay is similar to wesnoth, yes the lack of terrain types makes feel the map a bit uniform.

The graphics rock, but from gameplay view, it doesn't go as far as Wesnoth for now. Having a whole new era dedicated to a new world may be the occasion to use new abilities (swarm ?), if not, spacenoth will remain a bunch of cool looking units. Though, that's just in my opinion (cf. my sig).
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

krotop wrote:I'm not sure whether terrain diversification is the solution, but as gameplay is similar to wesnoth, yes the lack of terrain types makes feel the map a bit uniform.
Then the other solution is to provide the diversity by other means. Wesnoth gets diversity from having and using diverse terrains, but Spacenoth doesn't have to; Spacenoth can do different things (which IMO is the whole point of such mods in the first place).