New Stone Path Tile

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

yes, the faux-perspective is about right now.

and the comments about the color are right on,
make the actual stones less greenish, instead over to the brown or grey side.

It's OK, if they don't have quite the definition/sharpness of the old stone road. The old one is a little too sharp for the rest of the terrain.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I like it quite a bit. I hope it is used to supplement the original road tiles and not replace it. The idea of elven roads in elven towns, human roads in human towns etc is a great one.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The perspective change that you've applied is great - please propagate it to the rest of the tiles, and post a .zip of them, so we can try these out in-game.

As for the color issue, it might be slightly too green, but not quite as much as, say, Darth Fool suspects. In a heavily intergrown set of stone slabs - one with lots of foliage growing between the actual stones, there would be some 30-40% of the illumination on the stone faces that would have a strong green cast to it; either by being filtered through the leaves of a plant, or by bouncing off the leaves of a plant before hitting the stone and bouncing into the eye.

It would actually look slightly wrong if it were pure white/grey.

Art Fallacy #whatever is that objects have inherent colors, and cannot deviate much from these in a final drawing. In reality, even matte surfaces, such as the bark of a tree, can be transformed into radically different colors, like sky blue, or hot pink, if you just apply the right lighting; and some of them which seem unreasonable (like sky blue) are actually very common. It takes a bit of unlearning to notice and predict this - one of the reasons is that our brains will, at first glance, register the environmentally recolored objects as their "inherent" color - in the same way that light grey objects in shadow (with lower absolute luminosities) will be perceived as brighter than dark grey objects in light (with higher absolute luminosities). This preprocessing and categorization on the part of our brain is the basis of a number of optical illusions.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Jetryl wrote:As for the color issue, it might be slightly too green, but not quite as much as, say, Darth Fool suspects. In a heavily intergrown set of stone slabs - one with lots of foliage growing between the actual stones, there would be some 30-40% of the illumination on the stone faces that would have a strong green cast to it; either by being filtered through the leaves of a plant, or by bouncing off the leaves of a plant before hitting the stone and bouncing into the eye.

It would actually look slightly wrong if it were pure white/grey.
Where have you (or anyone else) applied such an extreme color-bleed in Wesnoth terrain or unit graphics?

While it's true under certain conditions (especially if the light is shining through the grass) the green will get spread around. The bolded sections above are large exaggerations. In noon-ish lighting there would be no green in the sunlit parts, and the shadow from the grass would be much the same as the shadow from dead brown grass.
Jetryl wrote:Art Fallacy #whatever is that objects have inherent colors, and cannot deviate much from these in a final drawing. In reality, even matte surfaces, such as the bark of a tree, can be transformed into radically different colors, like sky blue, or hot pink, if you just apply the right lighting; and some of them which seem unreasonable (like sky blue) are actually very common.
Sure lots of color gets bounced around. When painting i liked to exaggerate that effect, and emphasize the bluish-purple of many shadows.
But we're making tiles here. These tiles need to work as morn, noon and night. Such lighting tricks need to be included only subtly (if at all) or else the main light source will be noticeably different. And that would be obviously wrong.[/b]
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
ael193

Post by ael193 »

i like it , it would be good for a new road type or elven keep floor, it should be a little less,gree, not like the human road, but more like weathered white stone.
Raemon

Post by Raemon »

I like it. I think some of it should be a little greyer, though. Just a little. Like everyone else, so I suppose this post was pointless when it comes to new imput.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

I tried to make it less green and not to white.
So that's how it look right now.
If you are patient, then i'll smoth out the pattern of the stones and making the transition tiles, because at the moment there are no transitions. But i'm posting the 4 tiles anyway, in hope you'll make use of them.
Attachments
stoneroad_pack.zip
stone path tile png + 3 variations
(46.55 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (97.14 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
ael193

Post by ael193 »

that new version is pretty good
toms

Post by toms »

On the ne edge of the tile there seems to be some noise; please check it out.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

It's looking a lot better - Eleazar should adjust the final versions of these to whatever coloration he deems fit; it might still be a little on the "too saturated" side, but I'm not sure.

Thanks a lot for working on this. :)
toms wrote:On the ne edge of the tile there seems to be some noise; please check it out.
Possibly - it's also possible that the jpg compression is introducing a lot of said noise as artifacts.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I can't notice the noise. Perhaps if you could upload the screenshots as pngs next time?

BTW, the terrain transitions for this one look as bad as the original ones for the stone path. They lack proper transitions. (Or is just me? I never liked the stone path terrain because of this)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Pipgirl

Post by Pipgirl »

I've always thought the original stone path was too saturated...

It clashes horrifically with grass.

Edit: To show what I mean, I edited part of the OP's screenshot to brighten/desaturate the original road.
Attachments
screenshot_727_edit.jpg
screenshot_727_edit.jpg (177.58 KiB) Viewed 4279 times
khamul

Post by khamul »

Re: the level of green - where you have a flat rock in a fairly damp environment, a thin film of algae will quickly coat the surface, giving it a green appearance very similar to that of the new tiles, even in clean white light. Good examples are the rocks near a stream or river bed.

IMHO the tiles as-is are perfect for old, rarely used roads - they'd be spot on, for example, for a road through an ancient forest to a ruined castle, or path slowly being reclaimed by a high moor.

So if the saturation of these tiles does get changed further, could we keep the current colouration around, for an old road alias?

EDIT: typo.
Last edited by khamul on June 19th, 2007, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

i find noise in the tile, it's because the screenshot or the it's the original image?.
Last edited by theotherhiveking on June 19th, 2007, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
toms

Post by toms »

Pipgirl wrote:I've always thought the original stone path was too saturated...

It clashes horrifically with grass.

Edit: To show what I mean, I edited part of the OP's screenshot to brighten/desaturate the original road.
IMHO the current one is just fine, and yours looks just less defined.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!