Newbie alert

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mintavia

Newbie alert

Post by mintavia »

Can you guys point me to the posts for newbies. I would like to if there is any way to replay a senerio without losing my units that I have already built up. What story should I play to practice? Are there any nice visual aides out there? (adhd :P) charts stats etc etc. How long will it take before I no longer suck at this game? I really like it but seem to have the computer kick my butt all the time. I am following the time of day advice but cant find advice for how to advance on the newbie games. I get to the Princess of Westnoth campaign and still dont have any units over lvl 3...and only a couple hundred gold. Point me to the newbie walk thrus plz....I need someone to hold my hand....IM SCARED!!!!!!
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

1. There simply aren't many units over level 3.
2. With 200 gold, try recruiting 6 elvish fighers then recalling your 5 strongest units on your next turn. Unless you are playing on hard it should suffice.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Hi Mintavia,

First of all before playing any game, kindly read the sticky posts on 'Strategies & Tips'.

If you need any walkthrough on any scenario or help on playing a specific faction, you can find them here : http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Play

Additionally, if you are still stuck, play some MP games, turn off the fog and see how other players play.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

TheChosenOne wrote:Hi Mintavia,

First of all before playing any game, kindly read the sticky posts on 'Strategies & Tips'.

If you need any walkthrough on any scenario or help on playing a specific faction, you can find them here : http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Play

Additionally, if you are still stuck, play some MP games, turn off the fog and see how other players play.
And you can also ask for specific help or tactics here
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
darkwraith007

from a fellow "newbie"

Post by darkwraith007 »

-Play on Easy. It really is Easy, but still somewhat challenging enough up until a certain point when you acquire 700+ gold (you get a large bonus from one scenario that has 60+ turns available to complete it in) and can thereafter build up a ridiculously large army if you want to.

-In the first scenario "Elves Besieged", on Easy, all you really need to do is fill up the tiles with an equal number of Elvish Archers and Elvish Fighters, with one shaman in there (though its very tough to level them up). Have Konrad & Delfador (old mage guy in purple) head left along the path, then straight up. Don't let Konrad hit the sign until you can level up at least 2 units because the extra gold bonus isn't that much and levels are much more helpful for the early parts.

-Keep your Elves back a bit and let the allies get slaughtered and try to steal kills. Its tough but doable. You just want at least 1-2 kills per person that you have, and level-ups are very nice but high exp with level 1 is better then having a level 2 due to lower recall cost and better strategy possibilities for the next scenario (charge in, attack till weak and level up to heal completely then kick ass).

-Don't let anyone die. Start over if you have to, but keep your guys protected and have them stay in groups if at all possible.

I've attached some replays for the beginning scenarios. Works for Wesnoth v1.2.1
I used to watch some replays but the replay thing was broken and nearly unusable unless you used the stable version (which hardly anyone did at the time) but its good now. Watch and learn!
By the way, the archive is in ZIP format. If you don't have it built-into WinXP, then go get a utility that handles it. The portable version of 7-zip works very well for this purpose, without installation.

Till then.
Attachments
darkwraith007 wesnoth replays.zip
My Wesnoth Replays so far for v1.2.1
(55.69 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

What Darkwraith said, but don't panic if you can't get manage to level anyone up in Elves Besieged - there'll be plenty of opportunities to do so later.