Combatting anti-social behavior on the mp serv

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Taurus wrote:About privite blacklistls/whitelists, I also don't see the harm as long as they are not publically noticable. I definatley think it would be conterproductive if a person on somene's blacklst tries to log into a game, and it comes up with the message, "You are on this person's blacklist so get lost!" It would just create more resentment and perhaps make that person more prone to abuse. If there will be automatic ways of preventing people on your blacklist. they should be discreet. In essence, they should simply be an extension of the mental whilte/blacklist that a person makes.
IMHO the best thing for all parties involved is to make games that a player can't join invisible to him. Presumably if someone is on your blacklist, you don't want him as an observer making comments, either. And from the perspective of the blacklisted person, why should his queue be cluttered up with game he cannot join or observe?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

[quote="Eleazar]IMHO the best thing for all parties involved is to make games that a player can't join invisible to him. Presumably if someone is on your blacklist, you don't want him as an observer making comments, either. And from the perspective of the blacklisted person, why should his queue be cluttered up with game he cannot join or observe?[/quote]

I aggree, it sounds like a good way to do it. I would imagine that there are other ways also, but this definatley is one good way to do it.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Taurus wrote:Well said Noy. I think he brought up a very interesting question - exactally why is the Wesnoth community as great as it is? I think if we start finding answers to this question, then we would be able to keep the community that way.
The Wesnoth community is a mirror of the game itself.

This is not a real time game, this makes it a lot more calm than a starcraft-like game. As a consequence, it suits more to relaxed people who don't want to be stressed by the game.

Moreover, old players know that their opponent's turn can last long, and if they remain playing the game (thus registering to the forum, becoming a creative, etc...) it's because they have accepted that rule. As a consequence, the community is formed with patient people.

To finish with, BfW gives the opportunity to nearly anyone to participate to the development of the game thanks to the KISS principle. This tend to keep alive (to foster ? I'm not english native) the wesnothians' creativity. Wesnoth is meant to constitute a creative community since it gives her tools to create.

Most of those who don't fill in the cake pan leave the community on their own after a month or 2, replaced by newcomers that check if Wesnoth fits with what they like in a game.
Last edited by krotop on February 21st, 2007, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

"Having said that, any form of login that requires registration makes it more difficult for people to ruin others experiences. So I am very much for it. I am typing this as a player is ruining a game GMT-7: 10:56 pm - Bob_The_Mghty's game. DEATH aka Grim_Reaper aka Greenmagisniper keeps reconnecting and spamming observer chat whilst insulting players."
-Govenor

a guy named okm or okm1 or Okm(keeps changing)is posing as me. i talked to him March 11 07 and he said that it wasnt him but Zephyr(friend). of course i trust my friend more then okm but he had some good reasons.

P.S. if my typing is wrong, its because it was past 11:00 PM when i wrote this
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
JW

Post by JW »

I think reserving a username is a good idea. Reserved names would have no special properties other than that they must be logged into with a passphrase by the client.

Also, we already have a friends list that goes by users nicknames online. I don't think there is any need for anything other than this friends list combined with reserved usernames.

The only other option I would consider is having an option that allows only friends to join a created game. Ignored people should not be allowed in your game automatically.

ps, N-O to public ratings.
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

I hope it's fine to throw in some new Idea:

How about linking the MP-nick to the Forum's user name ?
(and you use the same PW as in forums to log on campaign server - or alternativesly you have to confirm a Forums-account to register on MP-server)

Positives:
+ You always recognize who you are playing with/against
+ PPL getting banned due to bad behavoir just can't re-log with a new I.P. but have to create a new account on forums. This should be far too much work for hop-harassers (I don't think "hop-harassers" is a word, eh ? :) )

Negatives:
- w/o forums account you can't play online.
But i guess that shouldn't be that much of a problem as you need to visit the website regularily anyways to get your latest version of wesnoth.

This version won't get us friendlists and such stuff, but I think it stays true to the original problem ("what to do with ppl ruining the fun of others by harassing and relogging after getting kicked/banned" - correct me if I got it the wrong way)

Best regards and happy gaming,
Shakiko
taro
Inactive Developer

Post by taro »

Shakiko wrote:PPL getting banned due to bad behavoir just can't re-log with a new I.P. but have to create a new account on forums. This should be far too much work for hop-harassers (I don't think "hop-harassers" is a word, eh ? :) )
Creating a new account in a forum is easy and fast. If someone wants to annoy people this hardly will stop him.
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

True but its alot slower than just leaving the campaign server and rejoining. Not the mention the hassle to register an email and such stuff each time.
I'm pretty sure that ppl will stop harassing other ppl once it gets more work to harass them than the harrassed ppl have to do to ban them.

(Alternatively (if the above idea alone won't work) I'm sure you can easily set a timer before you get your activation email for forums to like 10 or even 60 mins.)
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I don't think that your idea will work. First, the forums are made a different group of people than Wesnoth. It will take a lot of work to modify the forums and the game so they work together.

Secondly, it's really a hassle when I buy a commercial product and it requires registration. In fact, I do not think I registered any of the programs on my computer.

Thirdly, email delays are bad. When I register somewhere and I don't get an email within the next 5 minutes, I end up hating the site. If the delay is an hour, it is likely that I'll be off the computer before I get my email. If this had happened when I joined these forums, I would have probably just forgotten about them.
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

resverving nicknames

Post by Gallifax »

plain and straight forward: reserving nicknames yes

karma or any rating system no.

reserving names should be optional.

It would things make easier. In combo with a personal friendslist it would work fine I think.

Brgds Gallifax
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think that's pretty much the opinion of the devs already. Reserving nicks would be nice to have if someone can and will do it, but there will be no ratings whatsoever.
Imp

Post by Imp »

ILikeProgramming wrote:Thirdly, email delays are bad. When I register somewhere and I don't get an email within the next 5 minutes, I end up hating the site. If the delay is an hour, it is likely that I'll be off the computer before I get my email. If this had happened when I joined these forums, I would have probably just forgotten about them.
I agree. The thing is, I recently posted in the Website section informing that these forums have an activation email bug that seems to affect Hotmail accounts. That is, activation emails are not sent to Hotmail email addresses. This would explain the enormous number of registered usernames with no posts. I reckon a lot of them have probably left. Imagine how much bigger this community could have been by now if it wasn't for this annoyance. As yet, I do not believe this problem has been addressed, since nobody seemed to care about it despite the fact that the implications are huge.
palloco

Post by palloco »

I completely disagree with registering or reserving a name.
First, you are doing this because there are some people with antisocial behaviour. Don't you think these people will start reserving names of known people such as Mythological, Turin, Gallifax or whatever. So they will have to change their name and this will create confusion. This is not solutioned by restricting names per IP, because there are dynamic IPs and you say there is an increasing number of people with antisocial behaviour.
Second, as someone said before, you may find these guys and they will decrease you karma. The solution is not avoiding playing with unregistered, because they may be either registered or there arent enough players on lobby and you want to play with someone.
Third, all games with registering names have moderators to try to solve some of these problems, which would be a waste of time for these moderators to maintain the lobby.

I agree with implementing a private list with friends and blacklist ofr personal use on the client side, if possible with IPs so you can check if the same guy is using another IP (and dynamic IPs do not matter because you can detect if it is from the same range).
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

What about "accounts", to identify you on friendlist, but still being able to change your name?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

palloco wrote:Don't you think these people will start reserving names of known people such as Mythological, Turin, Gallifax or whatever.
Then those known people just need to ask an admin to get their name back. Sounds rather unlikely to happen in amounts large enough to be a real problem.