Wesnoth trailer banned from Youtube by Viacom

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Duffchong

Wesnoth trailer banned from Youtube by Viacom

Post by Duffchong »

Well, not exactly. What's up with this? When I tried to watch the Wesnoth trailer ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIt69vznegs ) this message appears: This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Viacom International Inc.

EDIT: Here is the only information I could find on it ( http://media.seekingalpha.com/article/26010 ), but it doesn't explain why the Wesnoth trailer was cut.

EDIT: After reading around, it looks like there is a lot of litigation occurring between Viacom and the Google execs who now own Youtube. I assume that since Viacom requested that 100,000 videos be taken off of Youtube, that the selection was automated and some how the Wesnoth trailer got swept up in the algorithm.
Last edited by Duffchong on February 9th, 2007, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Weird.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Repost the thing and send an email to the admins, in my opinion.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Reposting could get him banned. Not a good idea.

There is a proper procedure, which involves signing a legal document and sending it to them. I'm sending a pm to them about it, though, and recommend that others do the same.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Youtube sucks, apparently. Let's just host the trailer somewhere else and update links on the site and forums?
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

catwhowalksbyhimself wrote:Reposting could get him banned. Not a good idea.

There is a proper procedure, which involves signing a legal document and sending it to them. I'm sending a pm to them about it, though, and recommend that others do the same.
Excellent. That'll show them how strong is the community.
If you really hate stupid people, get a girlfriend.
Duffchong

Post by Duffchong »

I've also sent a PM to the creator of the trailer, who is probably the one best suited to getting the video back up somewhere.

EDIT- And on a different note, I wouldn't mind if a moderator changed the title of this thread something more informative like 'Wesnoth trailer banned from Youtube' or whatever you can think.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Duffchong wrote:EDIT- And on a different note, I wouldn't mind if a moderator changed the title of this thread something more informative like 'Wesnoth trailer banned from Youtube' or whatever you can think.
You can do that by editing your first post.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Oh man, wesnoth trailer banned? Don't they know that this is a free game? zzz
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

All your keep are belong to Viacom...
All your village are belong to Viacom...
All your castle base are belong to Viacom...
This has potential.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Irritating, but not surprising. (Naw, a giant media conglomerate screwed over the little guy? :roll: )
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

And the stupid website won't let me long in anyways, so they're not only pulling off legitimate videos, but they can't even get they're stupid website to work.

I used to like youtube, but I only go to it now when I have no other chose, so it's probably good that the trailer goes elsewhere.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

From their website:

Counter-Notification

If you elect to send us a counter notice, to be effective it must be a written communication provided to our designated agent that includes substantially the following (please consult your legal counsel or see 17 U.S.C. Section 512(g)(3) to confirm these requirements):

1. A physical or electronic signature of the subscriber.
2. Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.
3. A statement under penalty of perjury that the subscriber has a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
4. The subscriber's name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that the subscriber consents to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the address is located, or if the subscriber's address is outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which the service provider may be found, and that the subscriber will accept service of process from the person who provided notification under subsection (c)(1)(C) or an agent of such person.

Such written notice should be sent to our designated agent as follows:

DMCA Complaints
YouTube, Inc.
1000 Cherry Ave.
Second Floor
San Bruno, CA 94066
Fax: 650.872.8513
Email: copyright@youtube.com

Please note that under Section 512(f) of the Copyright Act, any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity was removed or disabled by mistake or misidentification may be subject to liability. Please also be advised that we enforce a policy that provides for the termination in appropriate circumstances of subscribers who are repeat infringers.