Wesnoth Icon File

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
darkwraith007

Wesnoth Icon File

Post by darkwraith007 »

Hello to all,

I've had some wierd problems in WinXP SP2 where after exiting an RPG that was made with RPG Maker 2K, it corrupted the Wesnoth icon on my desktop and it didn't show up at all, it was just a standard "no specified icon" image.

To solve this problem, I dug through the forums and found the "swords and shield" logo that's used on the title screen now. Then I found a command-line program (yes, I know!) to navigate to the directory that I unzipped that program to and manually create an .ico file from the .png files posted in the thread.

So here is the .ico file, without all the hassle/mess, for anyone who needs to have a backup or wants to change their desktop icon for whatever reason.

Works only on Windows, to my knowledge.
Attachments
wesnothicon.zip
Wesnoth icon in a zip archive. Extract and place in the main directory where the wesnoth.exe is located in. Only need if you don't like default icon or need to replace it if it becomes corrupted.
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Hmmm... you sure it wasn't one of those dumb Windows shell icon cache file corruption? Strange. Deserves a bug report to the third party application author(s).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lazlo

Post by lazlo »

I had the same problem too... don't know what caused it though!
Several of my XP working friends had it too...

I made a similiar solution but instead i used the swords and shields icon in the images folder of the game... So i ended up with a white background on my icon and me being too bored to edit the picture to fix it :P

Well thanks for this, it looks much better than my whitie one :mrgreen: !
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

It seems like i didn't include the icon in the installer for 1.2.1 :oops: . Sorry for the inconvenience.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
gacoperz

Post by gacoperz »

happends to the best of us
just include it in 1.2.2 and everybody will be happy. :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Well, the reason because of which the icon didn't disappear immediately after installing 1.2.1 is that Windows keeps a "shell icon cache" file.

The RPG game you played probably changed the video mode to other color setting, causing Windows to refresh the icon cache and find no icon file for Wesnoth, thus deleting the old icon from the cache.

If I experienced the same problem (fortunately not, I'm still using BFW 1.2 RC4), I'd probably had already messed up my hard disk. :lol:

It's not late, perhaps the 1.2.1 installer is fixed before another person downloads it. :wink:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

We've got probably a thousand downloads a day for the Windows version. Hard to say, we've got only stats for sourceforge and they also include the sources.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
darkwraith007

wow

Post by darkwraith007 »

Hello everyone!

I'm so happy that I could help out people! ^_^
If there are other tasks that I can assist in, I'll do my best.
Right now I'll be bugtesting the campaigns that have been released for v1.2.1 and seeing which ones work well and which error out or are incompatible.

Its a pretty long process, considering the sheer number of 3rd party add-ons available. I do wish they'd actually *test* them to make sure they were compatible and working before putting them on the campaign server, that would save many people the headache. But I do understand that time is limited and its hard to find bugs, etc.

Edit: Wow, development and patches move along so fast, its hard to keep up! I don't know if I could devote the amount of time needed to bug-fix. I'll let people post bug reports, tis faster that way. I just ask that authors of any add-ons for Wesnoth please bug-test before posting it on the campaign server, and perhaps "certified stable/complete" add-ons could be seperated from the "untested" ones.

Till then.