New player just wanting to say Battle for Wesnoth rocks!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Helmet

New player just wanting to say Battle for Wesnoth rocks!

Post by Helmet »

I downloaded the stable version last week and a friend and I have been playing each other, and I have been playing against the AI, and I just played my first game via the server. So I joined this forum to say...this game is awesome! Battle for Wesnoth has a great blend of strategy and randomness, and I love the graphics and music and the Map Editor and the killer AI.

One question. When I was playing against a player named Loremoth on the server, I was having trouble sending Speak messages. The messaging worked perfectly sometimes. But it seemed I couldn't send messages on his turn, yet he somehow sent a message during mine.

Near the end of the game, he asked me if I had played Campigns and I couldn't get the Speak option to appear in the dropdown menu to reply. Loremoth logged-off without me saying "Good Game" back to him, or answering his question. Bummer.

Was the Speak function acting goofy the result of a busy server? Or what?

Other than that, my experience with Wesnoth has been nothing but thrilling. What an incredible game!
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Welcome to wesnoth Helmet. You aren't the first person to like the game and hopefully not the last.

You will soon see, I hope, that the AI is not killer....rather it's subpar at best. Still it is a good tool for learning how to play the game.

As far as sending messages, if you have CAPS LOCK on, you will not be able to bring up the message dialouge box. I'm guessing this was the case and you weren't even aware of it.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

jb wrote:Welcome to wesnoth Helmet. You aren't the first person to like the game and hopefully not the last.
Definitely not the last. I plan on teaching my 9-year-old daughter how to play tomorrow. :)
jb wrote:You will soon see, I hope, that the AI is not killer....rather it's subpar at best. Still it is a good tool for learning how to play the game.
It spanks me pretty good every now and then. But I am getting better...
jb wrote:As far as sending messages, if you have CAPS LOCK on, you will not be able to bring up the message dialouge box. I'm guessing this was the case and you weren't even aware of it.
Thanks for offering ideas, jb. I'm thinking that's not it, because speaking worked some of the time, so CAPS LOCK must've been off.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If you liked the stable (1.0.2) version, I'd heavily recommend getting the latest 1.2 beta (1.1.14). It's better in all respects, except perhaps general performance (if you have a lower-end computer, for example). Almost all graphics (some more, some less) have been revised, and there's a ton of other new stuff as well.

Or you can just wait until the actual 1.2 release comes out, which it should soon. It'll still be basically identical to 1.1.14, however.
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: New player just wanting to say Battle for Wesnoth rocks!

Post by Dave »

Helmet wrote: Was the Speak function acting goofy the result of a busy server? Or what?
The caps-lock thing is all I can think of. Certainly just bringing the speak box up does NOT communicate with the server (it's a client-side thing only). Communication with the server is only done when you actually send a message. So it can't have anything to do with the server.

The server has also had some problems during its development, but I don't think being loaded down or busy has been one of them. It normally handles the load players place on it very very comfortably.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

zookeeper, I tried the 1.1.14 version earlier this morning, but it acted buggy right away, so I went back to the stable one.

I'm on a newer Mac with a 23" widescreen, and maybe that widescreen contributed to the problem. The game had an area of black hexes off to the side, outside the actual "map." Those hexes didn't quite scroll, but made a mess of hexes when the map scrolled. It was very distracting. And when I switched screen resolution, thinking that might help, the game crashed.

I totally am lusting after that new version, though. When I looked at the screen captures I was blown away. The mountains are especially spectacular.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Thanks for the information, Dave. It's strange how Speak worked about half the time.

Oh well. Maybe I need to change the electricity in my computer. :P
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Sheesh, three posts in a row by me.:oops:

Just wanted to say that the newest version is now working with my widescreen display. Instead of changing my display's resolution from within System Preferences in OSX to fix the black-hex problem (which did not work), I changed the resolution within the game to something smaller, via Preferences>Display. Ta-dah, no more black hexes alongside the map.

Wow, the new art is breathtaking. I'm looking at it right now.

Mushroom grove! Very nice!

Ooo, the village in the hills are much easier to see.

Hey, impassible mountains! Great idea!

Time for me to play the new version!

:D
JW

Post by JW »

I'm glad you're enthusiastic about the game. 8)
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Almost makes me wish I have done more for Wesnoth in terms of submitted content and whatnot. Good to see enthusiasts though.
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I did forget to mention, welcome to the forums, it's always nice to hear from players who are so enthusiastic about the excellent game our wonderful community has produced! :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Krispos wrote:Almost makes me wish I have done more for Wesnoth in terms of submitted content and whatnot. Good to see enthusiasts though.
Development is ongoing, you may make up for it still... :D
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Hey! I'll be making some faction contributions! Atleast to Ryorins >.>. And... and... my BAT might make the cut...
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

jb wrote:
You will soon see, I hope, that the AI is not killer....rather it's subpar at best. Still it is a good tool for learning how to play the game.
My first reaction to playing Wesnoth back on 0.8.2 was that the AI was just extremely great. And I still think this. When you say the AI is subpar, you mean it is below the skill level of a (good) human player. But compared to the AI on such classics as the Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic and Masters of Orion series, the AI on Wesnoth is excellent.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

torangan wrote:
Krispos wrote:Almost makes me wish I have done more for Wesnoth in terms of submitted content and whatnot. Good to see enthusiasts though.
Development is ongoing, you may make up for it still... :D
You've probably already submitted more in three weeks than I have in my entire tenure. You've done a decent bit of code, and a good bit of art.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.