Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Race specific GUI

Post by wayfarer »

OK I start a new topic for this for the art side. Because this will be somewhat bigger. I post it here because it will affect most players (if it will be accepted, as usual).

Ok I just manage to get by to thinks like "that complety sucks" if you say why else I will go to the more restricted part of the forum.

This is the early stage for the dwarves.
a) because I've got some unfinished sketches I can use
b) Photoshop has many stone parchments

Please note red will stay because I like it. Blue not sure black and pencil obvious not inked yet.

I'll take away a little from the screen but I tried to keep the information fields clean (even if it was hard)
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I like!!! Are these really gonna be race specific or faction specific?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Woodwizzle wrote:I like!!! Are these really gonna be race specific or faction specific?
How could you have them be race-specific (answer: in no way)? Anyway, these would be faction- and side-specific. Faction-specific as in the era could define what faction has what theme, and for campaigns and custom scenarios it could also be defined in the [side].
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This is currently very sketchy, so there's a lot I can't make any judgment about.

I can say at least that the basic ideas you're going for seem sound; it's all a matter of how they get fleshed out.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well I make such stuff for the first time. But that hasn't actual stopped me before.

I've advanced a little more.

No comes tha plan.

I'll add some further ornaments on the top bar (suggestions are welcome).
No flourish mainly angular stuff to reflect the straight character of the dwarves.

The unit screen will get some ornaments like the Altenburger Skat carts engraved.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jg

Post by jg »

I like them... :) Perhaps make the decoration on the right side of the "map/game" window a little smaller? Some people might think that it might hide some units behind it... ... which would not be a good thing.

jg
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

jg wrote:I like them... :) Perhaps make the decoration on the right side of the "map/game" window a little smaller? Some people might think that it might hide some units behind it... ... which would not be a good thing.
Nice, and yes I agree with jg, having the column(?) be more smaller otherwise units could be lost behind it.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Oreb wrote:Nice, and yes I agree with jg, having the column(?) be more smaller otherwise units could be lost behind it.
Units getting lost behind it is only a problem when you scroll to the northeast corner of the map and there's a unit there. Then it can potentially get lost under the ornaments, otherwise not.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

zookeeper wrote:
Oreb wrote:Nice, and yes I agree with jg, having the column(?) be more smaller otherwise units could be lost behind it.
Units getting lost behind it is only a problem when you scroll to the northeast corner of the map and there's a unit there. Then it can potentially get lost under the ornaments, otherwise not.
So, let's make all the maps have shroud there! Awesome idea isn't it? :D
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

deserter wrote:
zookeeper wrote: Units getting lost behind it is only a problem when you scroll to the northeast corner of the map and there's a unit there. Then it can potentially get lost under the ornaments, otherwise not.
So, let's make all the maps have shroud there! Awesome idea isn't it? :D
That is not really an option. I think it would be better if the decorative elements that overlap the map do not overlap more than 1/2 a hex as a good rule of thumb. That way at least enough would be visible to determine what is in the hex.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Darth Fool wrote:
deserter wrote: So, let's make all the maps have shroud there! Awesome idea isn't it? :D
That is not really an option. I think it would be better if the decorative elements that overlap the map do not overlap more than 1/2 a hex as a good rule of thumb. That way at least enough would be visible to determine what is in the hex.
I already feared this. That doesn't makes the issue easier.OK I'll reduce the size and try to keep the borders.
dreampilot

Post by dreampilot »

Not sure I associate a beard that long with a dwarf :wink:

Otherwise I think this is a great idea and it would suit needs greatly in ability to customize the interface for mod with their own races and themes aswell. If you were allowed to change the symbols along with the gui it would reduce the needs for forks greatly.

Tainted by the spacenoth project ofcourse :)
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I'm reserving judgment until I see more.

Looks pretty neat so far though.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, if one really needs to have a graphic that takes up a whole hex, one possibility might be in the code to add a 1 hex border to all sides of a map and make that one hex not usable by units. I think that this would be a little bit of a pain to do right so that it looks good enough to justify doing it for what are purely aesthetic reasons (enabling more awesome ornamental borders.) A way to make sure that it was clear that the hexes were not usable would be to only display half of them. Note that this would only work for the left and right sides, not the top and bottom. Another possibility would be for them to be permanently fogged, but I think just using shroud will look ugly. I could be wrong, however.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

No rush I will ask for code support if something is really needed but nowI must only rearrange some stuff. At the moment I'm mostly struggling with visibilty of unit stats and backround pics :roll: