Altering the "Multiplayer" option list

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Should the Multiplayer interface be changed?

Yes, options 3, 4, & 5 should be condensed into one option
16%
Yes, options 1 & 2 should be condensed into one option
16%
Yes, both of the above
12%
Yes, and they should be made buttons accessabile from startup
40%
No
16%

Total votes: 25

JW

Altering the "Multiplayer" option list

Post by JW »

Right now there are 5 options in the Multiplayer startup menu:

1) Join Official Server
2) Join Game
3) Host Networked Game
4) Hotseat Game
5) Human vs AI

1 & 2 do the same thing, #1 just removes the extra step of selecting the server you wish to connect to, though 2 defaults to devsrv.wesnoth.org:14999, the Official Server.

3, 4, & 5 all do exactly the same thing, they just change how the slots are filled in default. Couldn't these options be crunched into a selection "Create a Game"?

Even 1 & 2 could be crunched into 1 option, but I understand people like having to make 1 less click.

In fact, I think that the "Multiplayer" button itself could be replaced by 2 seperate buttons, "Join a Game" (or "Join a Server") and "Create a Game" (or "Host a Game", it sounds less like an editing program).

"Join a Game" would bring up the current "Join Game" option with the server entry window, defaulting to the official server, keeping the entry to the server at 2 clicks from startup.

"Host a Game" would then take you to the same screen the 3 other options would bring you to, defaulting to a game with all AI, or perhaps an empty game - though I think all AI would make more sense as the default as I think it is/would be used more often. People can of course change them at will, but defaulting to a full AI game would most likely save on extra clicks needed to start a game.

So, I have 3 proposals:

A) make options 3, 4, & 5 above all one option: "Host a Game"

B) make the options 1 & 2 above one option: "Join a Game"

C) replace the "Multplayer" button on the main menu with 2 buttons proposed in A and B above.

--if it looks better, the names could simply be "Join Game" and "Host Game" to be shorter, cleaner, and more like the current language of the menus.

I'm looking forward to hearing feedback on this idea.

-edit-

I added a poll to gain feedback from nonposters as well.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Vote Yes on Proposal C.

This has been brought to you by the Commitee for Voting Yes on Proposal C.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

This sounds intelligent.

Of course, care would have to be taken not to lose functionality. Some kind of "fill all empty slots with AI" button and a "fill all empty slots with local player" buttons would need to be in the game hosting screen. Names subject to change, of course.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'd say merge 1 & 2, and split 3, 4, & 5 into 2: hosting a network game and hosting a local game.
jg

Post by jg »

Yes, I think 3,4,5 should be fused into one.

jg
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:I'd say merge 1 & 2, and split 3, 4, & 5 into 2: hosting a network game and hosting a local game.
Ditto.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

Two buttons are all we need.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I don't see how removing options from the menu is advantageous. And adding more buttons to the titlescreen is problematic because of low resolutions. I'm voting no.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
JW

Post by JW »

Sapient wrote:I don't see how removing options from the menu is advantageous. And adding more buttons to the titlescreen is problematic because of low resolutions. I'm voting no.
Interesting, because I always heard OAB.

Also, the reason to remove the options is because they are repetitive.

Why not just add more options for say:
1) 1 ALP, the rest comps
2) 1 ALP, the rest open
3) 1 comp, the rest open
4) 1/2 AI, 1/2 ALP
5) ...etc

Surely you see the unnecessary nature of having 3 buttons do the exact same thing with minor variation.

These options aren't even related to adding value or depth to gameplay - they are unnecessary artifacts of the old UI.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Multiple "options" that really do almost exactly the same thing are, if nothing else, confusing. And that in itself is a reason to remove them.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:Multiple "options" that really do almost exactly the same thing are, if nothing else, confusing. And that in itself is a reason to remove them.
I forgot to add that if you (Sapient) are against more buttons on the main screen for resolution reasons, how can you be for more block options, which are clearly larger in size?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I am against more buttons on the titlescreen because we have reached the maximum number of titlescreen buttons that fit in a pleasing way on the 800x600 resolution.

I am not against these options in the multiplayer menu because they fit easily, and they also look cool.

P.S.-- I would expect a forum old-timer like yourself to know that OAB as stated in the wiki refers to gameplay affecting options.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
JW

Post by JW »

Sapient wrote:I would expect a forum old-timer like yourself to know that OAB as stated in the wiki refers to gameplay affecting options.
You expect correctly, but my arguments still stand, even minus the red-herring.

Those options are redundant and should be removed.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I don't think merging 1 & 2 is a good idea like it is now because one player would probably loose easily the adress of the offical server ... It is bad.
I don't think merging 3 with 4 & 5 is a good idea because it is confusing : "Host a game" suggest that is a network game which 4 & 5 obviously aren't.
I think 4 & 5 is good to have for ergonomy (quick playtesting for example), btw a "fill with computers" buttons would probably do the trick.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

turin wrote:Multiple "options" that really do almost exactly the same thing are, if nothing else, confusing. And that in itself is a reason to remove them.
Except if removing them is more confusing.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr