Long range (NOT multiple hex attack) units

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Higher Game

Long range (NOT multiple hex attack) units

Post by Higher Game »

These attacks would hit the adjacent hexes, like any other attack, but they would basically be to a ranged attack to what a ranged attack is to a melee attack. These would be like catapults and stuff. For balance, they should have no melee or ranged attack, so they could be attacked with ease, like a dark adept.

They would be designed to attack units that have no real current weakness to either melee or ranged attacks. Elvish avengers and orcish slayers are two units that have no real weakness, since they're very hard to hit, they have a great ranged attack, AND they will tear you up in melee. A long ranged attack would be a way to hit them without getting shredded.

Also, "long range" could be a new damage type, and units that own in both melee and range should be weak against it, since all units should have some sort of weakness! This would make dealing with slayers, avengers, and other units that are much harder to kill with level 1's than most advanced units. Even troll warriors go down to archers. Why should slayers have so much power over level 1's?
JW

Re: Long range (NOT multiple hex attack) units

Post by JW »

Yeah! Why don't you implement all of this so we can play it!! It sounds awesome!!!

ps, this is totally already possible to code, so no need to wait to do it!!

Best of luck!!!!!!!!
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Just alter the [attack] tag of a unit's WML to read longrange instead of ranged, and you've got it. I think.

Unlikely to ever be used in Mainline.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

JW wrote:ps, this is totally already possible to code, so no need to wait to do it!!
Not quite.

IIRC, for all ranges except 'long', the attacking unit will slide towards the defending unit during the animation.

Thus can you have a catapult, but it would advance on the ennemy when attacking (despite not being struck back)...
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Re: Long range (NOT multiple hex attack) units

Post by Dragonking »

Higher Game wrote:all units should have some sort of weakness!
They already have.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

As others have said, this CABD.

But the current short/long configuration is so well entrenched in the main game that changing it would be as good as impossible.
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Why do you guys keep telling me to have to code to do all this? If I could code, I'd make my own female robot. Coding is a professional thing that isn't taught in 10th grade, you know.
WildPenguin

Post by WildPenguin »

changelog wrote: Version 1.1.1:
* WML improvements
* attack ranges renamed to "melee" and "ranged", new ranges can be used
(retaliation will use any attack of the same range)
The Wiki is a good source of information on WML, you might want to start there.
JW

Post by JW »

Higher Game wrote:Why do you guys keep telling me to have to code to do all this? If I could code, I'd make my own female robot. Coding is a professional thing that isn't taught in 10th grade, you know.
We keep telling you to code it because no one else wants to. Duh.

Use Higher Order Thinking.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Higher Game wrote:Why do you guys keep telling me to have to code to do all this? If I could code, I'd make my own female robot. Coding is a professional thing that isn't taught in 10th grade, you know.
*sigh*

:roll:

First off, AFAICT, nobody who has posted here thinks much of the idea.
Thus nobody who has posted here wishes to waste their time coding it.

You are the only person (so far) who wants to create this idea.
Thus if the idea is to be coded, you will have to do it.

But this is all irrelevant, because in this case you don't actually have to do any real coding.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Casual User wrote:
JW wrote:ps, this is totally already possible to code, so no need to wait to do it!!
Not quite.

IIRC, for all ranges except 'long', the attacking unit will slide towards the defending unit during the animation.

Thus can you have a catapult, but it would advance on the ennemy when attacking (despite not being struck back)...
Yes there is a problem with animation for not "ranged" ranged attacks in 1.2. It is still possible to animate the units more or less correctly with some complicated, heavy halo workarounds...
Hopefully, i think this has been fixed in the SVN trunk (the next 1.3).

Well there nothing more to add, let this thread die.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13484

Recent WML Workshop thread on the how-to of it all.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Coding WML isn't particularly hard. I started about three years ago, teaching myself, and have been what I consider proficient in WML for at least two of those three years (and I was writing entire scenarios long before that). I had no prior coding experience. The same is true of all of the other WML experts around here (well, maybe not the part about no prior experience). Don't be daunted just because you don't know how to do it immediately.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
jg

Post by jg »

One can also teach oneself how to code c++, c, do things with gtkmm (graphics library) and with SDL. There are a lot of good tutorials. It's not a professional thing IMO.

jg
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

@Higher Game:

Ever played Battle Isle or History Line ? These games have artillery units like you describe, and as it turns out, they become the worst balanced units themselves...

Most other units spend much of their time blocking the way to the artillery, while the artillery pounds everything to death in up to 6 hexes distance...

And the AI in those games can't deal efficiently with artillery-units either, so all in all they are a HUGE loss to those games.

I'm really glad BfW doesn't have any of this !!!

But you do seem to have a lot of ideas on how things should or could be. So why not try to make your own campaign or whatever ? I'm pretty sure you would come up with something original and different.