Some questions

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Woo_Hoi

Some questions

Post by Woo_Hoi »

Question 1
How to make the corpse not dissapear automatically after the unit die?
or make the dead body not dissapear immediately but after some turns?

Question 2
If I edit the file in the "unit" folder , will the players cant play in my server ?

forgive grammatical mistakes
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

1) So you want other units not to be able to step onto the dead unit's hex? You could set it to one hp and stone it. It's pretty easy to do so I did it for you:

Code: Select all

[event]
name=die
first_time_only=no

{MODIFY_UNIT x,y=$x1,$y1 hitpoints 1}
{MODIFY_UNIT x,y=$x1,$y1 status.stone on}

[/event]
(I am not perfectly sure about this "status.stone". It might be "stoned" or something but I am too lazy to try it out now. Forgive me if I am wrong.)

2) They can but it will give horrible OOS errors if you do it.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Some questions

Post by zookeeper »

Woo_Hoi wrote:Question 1
How to make the corpse not dissapear automatically after the unit die?
or make the dead body not dissapear immediately but after some turns?
How do you want it to work?
Woo_Hoi wrote:Question 2
If I edit the file in the "unit" folder , will the players cant play in my server ?
No. As Baufo said, technically yes, but in practise...no (it would be pointless).
Woo_Hoi

Post by Woo_Hoi »

In question 1 , I don't want to stone it , there is corpse or dead body will left after a unit was Killed? Then the body will disappear after some seconds.

What I ask is how to make the dead body/corpse remain on the screen for a longer time.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Woo_Hoi wrote:In question 1 , I don't want to stone it , there is corpse or dead body will left after a unit was Killed? Then the body will disappear after some seconds.

What I ask is how to make the dead body/corpse remain on the screen for a longer time.
In no good way. You might be able to extend the death animation (so the last frame shows for a longer time), but it would be bad, since animations block the rest of the game, so the player couldn't for example select another unit while the corpse is laying there, which would be really annoying.
Woo_Hoi

Post by Woo_Hoi »

yeah teach me how to! I only want it to extent it 1 or 2 turns only.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Woo_Hoi wrote:Then the body will disappear after some seconds.
Woo_Hoi wrote:I only want it to extent it 1 or 2 turns only.
Perhaps you should really describe how you want it to work. The above quotes are really describing completely different things.
Woo_Hoi

Post by Woo_Hoi »

ok , i want some seconds
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Woo_Hoi, try to explain what you want more clearly. I understand that English isn't your first language, but try to explain what you want out of this.

Do you want to make it possible to resurrect the dead corpse?
Do you want to make it so other units can't move to where the corpse is?
Or do you just want corpses to stay where they lay for a few seconds more, not effecting the gameplay at all?
Woo_Hoi

Post by Woo_Hoi »

just want corpses to stay where they lay for a few seconds more, not effecting the gameplay at all , because it looks cool. :)
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Then I think you will have to change the game engine.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

with 1.3 it can be done, you'll have to tweak all death animations, though

with 1.2, make the last frame of every death anim last longer....
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Woo_Hoi

Post by Woo_Hoi »

"make the last frame of every death anim last longer...."sorry,I dont know how to................thats why i am asking
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Woo_Hoi wrote:"make the last frame of every death anim last longer...."sorry,I dont know how to................thats why i am asking
Ok, I'll check if it can be done in 1.1.11. I'll post back later today with what I come up with. However, personally I think the change is a bit pointless to do now. Maybe later, when we can change the whole game to be able to handle this, we can change the default fade-out time to be longer.
jg

Post by jg »

Not trying to get off-topic here, but since it has been talked about now, why not make the corpses stay on the battlefield for the rest of the scenario anyway? This might make it a little too violent for some, but one could perhaps make it an changeable option?

jg