The high elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Phoenix Chick -> Phoenix -> Elder Phoenix

The Phoenix looks roughly like an eagle, but with red and gold plumage. According to legend, it lives for 500 years and then burns itself up -- only to arise again from its own ashes. Hence the fire attack. Perhaps we could also give it strong fire resistance -- it can only be burned by its own flames.
I wanted to go back and develop this idea a bit.

Rather than having it start out as a chick, unable to fly, it would probably be better for faction balance if the Phoenix started out as a fledgling, just learning to fly:

Fledgling Phoenix -> Phoenix -> Elder Phoenix

As noted above, the Phoenix looks roughly like an eagle, but with red and gold plumage. It would have a ranged fire attack and should probably be highly resistant to fires other than its own. Perhaps it should also have regeneration, at least at level 2 or 3.

EDIT: Perhaps the Phoenix should only be able to fly short distances, similar to drakefly, at level 1 and advance to truefly when it reaches level 2. Also, while ranged fire would be its primary attack, it should probably have claw blade melee as a secondary attack. It is, after all, a bird of prey.

Thoughts/comments?
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

In how I imagine them, Phoenix aren't any kind of bird that can be domesticated. They are more like wild but also intelligent animals, with magical abilities. They could be friends with the High Elves, and could be some kind of ally in a High-Elvish campaign, but I don't think they could be domesticated by the elves.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Tux2B wrote:In how I imagine them, Phoenix aren't any kind of bird that can be domesticated. They are more like wild but also intelligent animals, with magical abilities. They could be friends with the High Elves, and could be some kind of ally in a High-Elvish campaign, but I don't think they could be domesticated by the elves.
Maybe if they caught a little Phoenix chick that had just arisen from its own ashes it could be domesticated, the first of many. Anyway, while a problem, I do not think it is an insurmountable problem.

Besides, even if they are friends or allies of the High Elves, they could still be included in the High Elf multiplayer faction -- there are many precedents for such things (Knalgans & Outlaws, Lavinians & Nemidians, etc.).
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Tux2B wrote:In how I imagine them, Phoenix aren't any kind of bird that can be domesticated. They are more like wild but also intelligent animals, with magical abilities. They could be friends with the High Elves, and could be some kind of ally in a High-Elvish campaign, but I don't think they could be domesticated by the elves.
Maybe if they caught a little Phoenix chick that had just arisen from its own ashes it could be domesticated, the first of many. Anyway, while a problem, I do not think it is an insurmountable problem.

Besides, even if they are friends or allies of the High Elves, they could still be included in the High Elf multiplayer faction -- there are many precedents for such things (Knalgans & Outlaws, Lavinians & Nemidians, etc.).
Elves & Merman, Humans & Merman, Orcs & Nagi.

But the Phoenix would be of free-will you would think that it would co-operate and not need any riders. But that they would co-operate with them, for reasons unknown for now.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Oreb wrote:But the Phoenix would be of free-will you would think that it would co-operate and not need any riders. But that they would co-operate with them, for reasons unknown for now.
Possible explanations:

1) As already mentioned, the Elves caught a Phoenix while it was still a chick and raised it to trust and cooperate with them.

2) The Elves used magic to tame the Phoenixes

3) Elves are just highly effective at taming animals, including Phoenixes.

4) All of the above
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

No. It has to be of free will. Something like an alliance, and both races being able to use magic to communicate. Phoenixes would be too respected by elves to be tamed, and phoenixes would also respect elves as those that maintain the forest they both live in free of any dark influence.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Tux2B wrote:No. It has to be of free will. Something like an alliance, and both races being able to use magic to communicate. Phoenixes would be too respected by elves to be tamed, and phoenixes would also respect elves as those that maintain the forest they both live in free of any dark influence.
Why not? The Phoenix was supposed to be a fairly intelligent bird, after all, so this would probably be fine.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Tux2B wrote:No. It has to be of free will. Something like an alliance, and both races being able to use magic to communicate. Phoenixes would be too respected by elves to be tamed, and phoenixes would also respect elves as those that maintain the forest they both live in free of any dark influence.
Why not? The Phoenix was supposed to be a fairly intelligent bird, after all, so this would probably be fine.
I'm afraid that my English has once again failed to say what it was meant to say : what I proposed in the second part of my post is a suggestion of what I think could be a more logical explanation, and would give more importance and "noble"-thing to phoenixes.
Elrond89

Post by Elrond89 »

When this army will be ready?
JW

Post by JW »

Elrond89 wrote:When this army will be ready?
Whenever someone finishes it, obviously.
Elrond89

Post by Elrond89 »

JW wrote:
Elrond89 wrote:When this army will be ready?
Whenever someone finishes it, obviously.
Who is workin on this project?
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Elrond89 wrote:
JW wrote: Whenever someone finishes it, obviously.
Who is workin on this project?
Hmm.. a whole Era dev-team at the moment :wink:
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Oreb wrote:
Elrond89 wrote: Who is workin on this project?
Hmm.. a whole Era dev-team at the moment :wink:
That's right! Those of us at the Imperial Era forums have discussed the idea of taking these guys and sticking them in a new era after we complete the IE.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Turin the Borg strikes again!

BTW, Jetryl, do you have the current High Elf art in usable form (i.e. not on a background of Wesnoth terrain)? I'd like a copy of it, if possible.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Flare

Post by Flare »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:Phoenix Chick -> Phoenix -> Elder Phoenix

The Phoenix looks roughly like an eagle, but with red and gold plumage. According to legend, it lives for 500 years and then burns itself up -- only to arise again from its own ashes. Hence the fire attack. Perhaps we could also give it strong fire resistance -- it can only be burned by its own flames.
I wanted to go back and develop this idea a bit.

Rather than having it start out as a chick, unable to fly, it would probably be better for faction balance if the Phoenix started out as a fledgling, just learning to fly:

Fledgling Phoenix -> Phoenix -> Elder Phoenix

As noted above, the Phoenix looks roughly like an eagle, but with red and gold plumage. It would have a ranged fire attack and should probably be highly resistant to fires other than its own. Perhaps it should also have regeneration, at least at level 2 or 3.

EDIT: Perhaps the Phoenix should only be able to fly short distances, similar to drakefly, at level 1 and advance to truefly when it reaches level 2. Also, while ranged fire would be its primary attack, it should probably have claw blade melee as a secondary attack. It is, after all, a bird of prey.

Thoughts/comments?
Major nitpickyness: I seem to remember that phoenixes live 1461 years or something like that. Also, uh...don't phoenixes have this nasty habit of regenerating in flames when they die, thereby rendering the obvious game mechanic somewhat broken?[/i]
Hey, 20 gazillion lemmings can't all be wrong...right?