The Gnomes: Release for Temuchin

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Bizarre little guys, I kinda like them though...
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Following the mantra of "release early, release often", here is a new release, featuring the new Mystic line plus a few other changes for balancing. Please download it! I could use your comments on balancing, art, anything.
Attachments
Gnome_Era.zip
Gnome Era version 0.1.1.
(97.79 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

I've kinda gotten ahead of myself, and started planning for the Gnome Campaign. I know that it's probably pointless to do anything at all with this faction, since no one is interested (the newest release of them got 1 download. Whoopeee.... :roll: ) but I like them, so I'm going to keep doing stuff with them even if no one else likes it.
Mainly I'm just asking a question: I was thinking these guys would live in the hills and downlands SW of Weldyn, near the SW end of the Dulatus Hills, South of the Brown Hills/Gryphon Mountain and East of Aethynwood. The campaign would porbably take place after Ashveiere's defeat and during Konrad/Lisar's reign. I know nowhere in the history on the Wiki does it mention a struggle between humans and gnomes at this time, but I wondered if I could have this happen anyways.
JW

Post by JW »

Just a piece of advice: if you want your creations to be more popular you need to do the following things:

1) create something - check
2) make it available - check

3) make it valuable - (unsure, haven't dl/ed it)
4) make it easily accessible - nocheck; put it on the campaign server to get more downloads

5) my personal secret :wink:

Take it one step at a time. :wink:

-oh, there's substeps too...but uh...yeah...it's more complicated than that, but that's the important stuff in relation to your audience.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Thanks JW, I will put it on the campaign server as soon as I fix a few minor errors/better a few minor things.
Anyway, I couldn't help jumping ahead to start writing campaign storyline. I have some done (basically the backstory to the campaign, information that furthers its story but is not actually in the campaign, like how the tale of the betrayal by Eldred or the seizing of the throne by Ashviere is backstory to HttT.) However, I won't post it here, as I want to keep it a surprise to most. I am PM-ing it to Turin, our resident history/faction history/storyline expert, to make sure nothing conflicts TOO much. (Of course, i could just write a history-clashing campaign, like The Scepter of Fire, by...wow, what irony. :wink: )
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Anyways, school for me just started today (we're on this gay block schedule...confusing) so probably I won't get too much done here. However, I am contemplating a major revision to the faction tree (Reorginization of the scout line, putting in a new sneak->assassin line with backstab, new "windstriker" advancement of Aviator with charge, new leaders Flagbearer->Warbanner) and a new release will follow that, which I'll try to figure out how to put up on the campaign server.

Also I thought of a backstory. The Gnomes originally lived in the faery world, like the elves, and they are sort of a faery race, except that magic is not as common among them (they tend to shun it in preference for fighting, except for a few who become the Mystics), but they are the most belligerent and warlike of the faery races. At some point they left the faery world (some say they were thrown out) never to return, and inhabited the Great Continent, where they have lived for as long as the elves, if not longer. When humans arrived there was almost a war between Gnomes and humans due to the gnomes' belligerence and the humans' disdain of them due to their height, but one famous ancient gnome, who was also their first Mystic, stopped the war, and later founded the Order of Mystics to study the lost magic of their race.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Yay! Triple post!
This is the release Temuchin Khan asked me for (though of course, anyone else who wants it may download it). I hope this one works.
Attachments
gnome_era.zip
I can't figure out how to put it on the campaign server, so I'm just putting it here.
(84.55 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Still having trouble, I'm afraid, at least in 1.0.2. For some reason, it never appears in the list with the other multiplayer eras.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Still having trouble, I'm afraid, at least in 1.0.2. For some reason, it never appears in the list with the other multiplayer eras.
Am I the only one who has this problem? Could it be I'm installing them wrong? I place the gnome_era folder in the campaigns folder, take the gnome_era.cfg out and put it beside the gnome_era folder in the campaigns folder, which appears to be what works with the other multiplayer era.

Am I overlooking something?
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Well, I don't know...I can't get my zip program (PKZIP) to zip folders, only files. So what I think has happened is that all files are contained in data/campaigns/gnome_era, while the era .cfg references
data/campaigns/gnome_era/images/...
or data/campaigns/gnome_era/era/...
The two solutions are that (1) you can create a folder called "images" and put the images in, a folder called "units" and put the units in, a folder called "era" and put era.cfg in. Or (2) I get a better zip program, which I need :P and rezip so it's set up properly.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Flametrooper wrote:you can create a folder called "images" and put the images in, a folder called "units" and put the units in, a folder called "era" and put era.cfg in.
?!?

I still can't get it working!

Where should I put the race.cfg?
jg

Post by jg »

Flametrooper wrote:Well, I don't know...I can't get my zip program (PKZIP) to zip folders, only files.
--> Use gz or bz. It is used more commonly and is actually quite easily to use. Though I am not sure if you use Linux or Windows or Mac. If you don't use Linux, you can probably forget the idea.

jg
eyu100

Post by eyu100 »

Could you make the images bigger? Maybe you could post a topic in the art workshop forum?