New elven player

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Parkinsons

New elven player

Post by Parkinsons »

Hi, I am new to the game and want to use rebels and have searched the fourms for help but found little.

1st off what leader do you choose? I was thinking red mage because of its upgrade route ie lvl 4

2. What should my army consist of? usually I have 1 shaman for every 4 troops and 1 mage for every 6 or so. Is this right? but my biggest problem is what the bulk of my army should be. Should it be mostly fighters or Archers or should I have a 1:1 mix?

Thank you
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I hate elves, you'll find many people don't care for them, but they are a good begginner faction. Your leader doesn't matter that much.
Here are the basic elf stragedies:
Hide in forests and occasionally mountains
recruit units
Attack enemies in ways that they have minimal retaliation

That's all I can offer, you should try and figure a lot of the stuff out yourself. Others will surely offer their input
JW

Post by JW »

Actually, with Rebels, the leader can be quite an important decision.

WM against Undead is the obvious choice, but a 6 move leader with 70% defense on forests is also a great asset of the faction. You also have the choice of Leadership.

As for unit choice, it depends on the map and the opponent as well as your strategy.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

A good 1st turn recruit on a 6-castle-hex map such as Blitz against an unknown opponent (i.e. random vs random with fog on) is 1 scout, 1 merman, 2 fighters, and 2 archers. When you discover the nature of your opponent, recruit additional units accordingly - if you see Undead get a mage; if you see Drakes get an archer, etc.
toms

Post by toms »

You could just click JW's signature to get tips. :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Tyltyl

Post by Tyltyl »

I'm also a newbie player, but since I love the elves I can give you my opinion although it may not be the greatest.
Usually I'm an archer fan, they do fairly well against most opponents, so I compose my army 50% of archers. When they fail they usually have 1 or 2 warriors nearby to help them.
When they have leveled up enough they can live on their own though :)

I only keep a few scouts just to get further opponents/villages, and when they occasionally level they become good as well.

I also use a few mages, no more than 1 every 6-7 units depending on the opponent.
As for shamans even less than mages, usually 1 (maximum 2) on every map.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Tyltyl wrote:I'm also a newbie player, but since I love the elves I can give you my opinion although it may not be the greatest.
Usually I'm an archer fan, they do fairly well against most opponents, so I compose my army 50% of archers. When they fail they usually have 1 or 2 warriors nearby to help them.
When they have leveled up enough they can live on their own though :)

I only keep a few scouts just to get further opponents/villages, and when they occasionally level they become good as well.

I also use a few mages, no more than 1 every 6-7 units depending on the opponent.
As for shamans even less than mages, usually 1 (maximum 2) on every map.
50% archers? Come on, let's spike some undead! :twisted:
</badboy>
I do usually not recruit more than one or two archers if I face a random opponent, with fog - the default situation in MP games. Furthermore I think archers are just too expensive to be the meat of an army, they are supposed to be support units rather similar to mages than fighters. But of course archers can do a great job when facing a living opponent.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
suvorov

Post by suvorov »

The rebels are a great faction to learn the ropes with. In fact, they are still one of my favorite factions to play as. Who to recruit really does depend on who yr facing. Versus the undead, the archers are basically useless, and woses assume a very important role. Versus drakes, you want almost a hundred percent archers.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Id just say one thing nobody mentioned. Depending on game style,m but if you buy 3+ archers at the beginning, rebels are almost the best faction for defencing. Neutral unit does not get good attacks, but retaliate well at any time. Mixed (ranged,melee) attacks dont gie you great damage when attacking, but allows you to retaliate always. Being elusive, weak hp does not allow you to attack defensive enemy, but you take less damage when defencing, and can heal it up faster. Also you have shamans, a level 1 healing unit. That allows you to heal even more. And while healing in assault is a risk to lose healers if they get uncovered, what happens often, healing in defence is not so risky, cause you should be always preapred to not lose more than 1 unit a turn, so your supporters wouldnt get uncovered.

Then when assaulting, i would have tried some more soldiers, and your assault should be slow - actually you should use enemy mistakes, to move youre defences further into his territory. And killing the leader will be always hardest part for you, if you dont level up some units.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

kshinji wrote:Id just say one thing nobody mentioned. Depending on game style,m but if you buy 3+ archers at the beginning, rebels are almost the best faction for defencing. Neutral unit does not get good attacks, but retaliate well at any time. Mixed (ranged,melee) attacks dont gie you great damage when attacking, but allows you to retaliate always. Being elusive, weak hp does not allow you to attack defensive enemy, but you take less damage when defencing, and can heal it up faster. Also you have shamans, a level 1 healing unit. That allows you to heal even more. And while healing in assault is a risk to lose healers if they get uncovered, what happens often, healing in defence is not so risky, cause you should be always preapred to not lose more than 1 unit a turn, so your supporters wouldnt get uncovered.

Then when assaulting, i would have tried some more soldiers, and your assault should be slow - actually you should use enemy mistakes, to move youre defences further into his territory. And killing the leader will be always hardest part for you, if you dont level up some units.
You describe exactly the strategy I followed when I was new to MP. It worked fine as long as my opponents chose their factions. But as my and my opponents' skills grew and they began to chose random faction I had a problem. If you recuit 3 Archers with 100 starting gold and then notice that you are facing undead you have already lost. So I think that this only works if you know the enemy factions.

But I still think that Rebels are the most defensive faction but the best to counter your opponent's mistakes.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
jg

Re: New elven player

Post by jg »

Parkinsons wrote:Hi, I am new to the game and want to use rebels and have searched the fourms for help but found little.

1st off what leader do you choose? I was thinking red mage because of its upgrade route ie lvl 4
Unless you have a very odd situation, in normal MP games you will never upgrade your red mage to a lvl4 one...

jg
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Re: New elven player

Post by Baufo »

jg wrote:
Parkinsons wrote:Hi, I am new to the game and want to use rebels and have searched the fourms for help but found little.

Unless you have a very odd situation, in normal MP games you will never upgrade your red mage to a lvl4 one...

jg
What if he preferes Age of Heros + 30% XP?
But of course lvl 4 is irrelevant in default faction 70% XP games.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Flametrooper wrote:A good 1st turn recruit on a 6-castle-hex map such as Blitz against an unknown opponent (i.e. random vs random with fog on) is 1 scout, 1 merman, 2 fighters, and 2 archers.
It's a waste of money if your opponent happen to be undead. It this scheme, you should probably replace an archer (or a fighter) with a mage, a shaman or a wose. Another idea is to save some money until you know what you're facing.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

That coudl cause a loss of money because he will already cointrol his half of board, even having bad units, and you will not.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.