The new version

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nukchebi0

Post by nukchebi0 »

I prefer the red numbers, because it actually tells you how much damage is being done, and you always will notice it. Of course, I do remember my units' HP before combat, so that might help me more than it would someone else.
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

As I usually use the accelerated mode - I don't take much notice of that "problem". In cases I disable the accelerated mode (i.e. only in single player matches and when there are only few units left) I do that because I want to see the animations and not to watch the health status bar (As it has been said - once a fight has been started you are sticked until it ends).

Greetings

Ping Pang Qui
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:This is especially the case when viewing combat when it's not your turn.

I know - let's make it an option! :P
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

turin wrote:
Dave wrote:This is especially the case when viewing combat when it's not your turn.

I know - let's make it an option! :P
String freeze!
So this option won't be included in the 1.2 branch! And I think it makes not too much sense to actually see the HP-Bars since they provide you with no real extra info. Once you started the fight there is no way to change the outcome. Better sit back, relax and enjoy the great animations...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

ivanovic wrote: String freeze!
So this option won't be included in the 1.2 branch!
I don't think turin was seriously proposing it be an option. It really should not be an option. We should just have the hitpoint bars displayed.
ivanovic wrote: And I think it makes not too much sense to actually see the HP-Bars since they provide you with no real extra info.
When there's a fight going on, the most important piece of information is how many hitpoints the combatants have. It does provide you with lots of extra information.
nukchebi0 wrote: I prefer the red numbers
I prefer having the hitpoint bars and the red numbers.
nukchebi0 wrote: Of course, I do remember my units' HP before combat
Even when the combat is taking place on your enemy's turn? You remember the exact hitpoints of every one of your units?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I am in total agreement with Dave, by the way. :)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'm all for returning the bars, but only if they'll stay out of the way. No one objects to having the bars there, only to having the bars obstruct the animations.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

zookeeper wrote:I'm all for returning the bars, but only if they'll stay out of the way. No one objects to having the bars there, only to having the bars obstruct the animations.
could the animation bar be flipped along the centre of the Hex's Axis so that it was always on the opposite side to the direction that the animation is going in when the animation occurs? (so if going n, ne, se or s then it doesn't move, if going nw or sw then it gets flipped, it could even be determined by using the facing variable of the unit, assuming that the unit changes to face towards it's attackers.)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

zookeeper wrote:I'm all for returning the bars, but only if they'll stay out of the way. No one objects to having the bars there, only to having the bars obstruct the animations.
I'm all for not having the bars obstruct animations, as long as they are there.

I think that whoever wants the bars to not be obstructive of the animations should write a patch which moves them to an appropriate place. Not the people who want them to be displayed at all to have this burden.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
hugh nicks

easier solution?

Post by hugh nicks »

sorry for my ignorance, but is there a possibility for the best of both worlds? I, as a new player, really enjoy some of the animations and think that the bars might be a hinderance to some.

on the other hand, it is useful in my opinion, because I think its important to see if someone's getting their butt stomped, and that might cause you to rethink strategy during, not after the fight.

is it possible to have the bars there, but add transparency to them? or make the colours less vivid when in combat? or just less bright (as in the reds or greens)? what about using a softer colour shade? i realize i know nothing about how difficult this may be to implement, and am just throwing ideas out.

i'm having a blast playing nonetheless! :D

-hn