The new version

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Peitenimi

The new version

Post by Peitenimi »

I just downloaded the new version of Wesnoth. Before I used 1.0.2, so now everything looks pretty new to me. :)

But there were few things i didnt like. The game is running much slower, and when units fight their hp bars disappear. Is there any way to change that?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: The new version

Post by zookeeper »

Peitenimi wrote:The game is running much slower, and when units fight their hp bars disappear. Is there any way to change that?
The slowness is being worked on (but do note that fight animations deliberately take more time nowadays). The HP bars were intentionally removed during fights, since they were often obstructing the units, which is annoying. There's probably not much chance of them coming back, unless someone writes a fancy mechanism that makes the bars move a bit further for the duration of the fight so they aren't in the way of the animations (unlikely to happen anytime soon, perhaps sometime in the future).
turin
Lord of the East

Re: The new version

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:
Peitenimi wrote:The game is running much slower, and when units fight their hp bars disappear. Is there any way to change that?
The slowness is being worked on (but do note that fight animations deliberately take more time nowadays). The HP bars were intentionally removed during fights, since they were often obstructing the units, which is annoying. There's probably not much chance of them coming back, unless someone writes a fancy mechanism that makes the bars move a bit further for the duration of the fight so they aren't in the way of the animations (unlikely to happen anytime soon, perhaps sometime in the future).
the HP bars' disappearing was intentional? :( But it's so annoying! I really liked being able to tell how much HP my guys had during the combat...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Didn't we go over this a while ago? At least they don't blink anymore.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Maybe. I don't remember. I'm not going to make a flamewar out of it, anyway.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
podunk

Post by podunk »

The hit point bars reappear after the combat on my download of 1.1.8? Once you click OK it's to late to worry about it anyway.

When you see a bunch of red numbers floating up from your guy, a 5, an 11 or god forbid a bunch of 15's -you know you're in trouble - don't need a HP bar for that. :-D
Peitenimi

Post by Peitenimi »

podunk wrote:The hit point bars reappear after the combat on my download of 1.1.8? Once you click OK it's to late to worry about it anyway.

When you see a bunch of red numbers floating up from your guy, a 5, an 11 or god forbid a bunch of 15's -you know you're in trouble - don't need a HP bar for that. :-D
The hitpoint bar reappears after the fight, but it just was nice to see it during it
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Like podpunk wrote - once you're in a fight it doesn't matter much anymore. You can't stop the fight in the middle anyway. So just have a look at it in the end again and move over to the next unit. In the meantime, enjoy the clear view on the hopefully well done animations. :D
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
jg

Post by jg »

I personally think it is a good feature...

jg
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

torangan wrote:Like podpunk wrote - once you're in a fight it doesn't matter much anymore. You can't stop the fight in the middle anyway. So just have a look at it in the end again and move over to the next unit. In the meantime, enjoy the clear view on the hopefully well done animations. :D
Yes, once you are in a fight it doesn't matter any more, but it is nice to know your units health during the fight - it makes it both more suspenseful, and less irritating, to be able to follow the fight as it occurs rather than being in the dark until the combat is over. And, especially if you are rather forgetful, like I am, you won't always know whether 2 hits from your opponent will kill you, or 3 will, and the red text doesn't really help with that. On multiple occasions I've thought that my guy was really unlikely to die, but then he died. If I had seen the HP bars, I would have seen him getting hurt, hurt, and then killed. Right now he's just suddenly dead.
The World of Orbivm
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Seeing the HP bars during a fight is especially useful against ulfs.
scott

Post by scott »

Dragon Master wrote:Seeing the HP bars during a fight is especially useful against ulfs.
No, it's not useful since you can't actually use the information for anything. But I know what you mean. It's unnerving to not know.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
JW

Post by JW »

scott wrote:
Dragon Master wrote:Seeing the HP bars during a fight is especially useful against ulfs.
No, it's not useful since you can't actually use the information for anything. But I know what you mean. It's unnerving to not know.
turin wrote:Yes, once you are in a fight it doesn't matter any more, but it is nice to know your units health during the fight - it makes it both more suspenseful, and less irritating, to be able to follow the fight as it occurs rather than being in the dark until the combat is over.
...hmmm.....
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think suspenseful might be the wrong word - dramatic, perhaps. What I mean is, it is more interesting to see your unit, or theirs, lose health bit by bit, and then die when his bar gets down to zero, than to sit there in the dark and then suddenly one of them dies. It goes back to a discussion we had several months ago about suspense vs. shock.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Removing the hitpoint bars during fights seems to me to remove information that the user wants to see, in exchange for making things look a little nicer.

IMHO this is not a trade-off we should make. People want to see how their units are doing in a fight, and the easiest way to gauge this is with the hitpoint bars displayed.

This is especially the case when viewing combat when it's not your turn.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming