L3 Outlaw Unit Pack updates

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

L3 Outlaw Unit Pack updates

Post by scott »

version 1.1 - replaced the shadow lord's melee attack icon with a cool better one

I haven't forgotten about monkey's suggestions for the L2 rogue mage, but I haven't been able to play with him enough to really decide. One of these days I'll get down to it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

version 1.4 - changed L3 outlaw advancement to employ the [advancefrom] tag.

With 0.9.3+ the old units won't work since custom units can't overwrite game units.

If you're going to upgrade your campaign to 0.9.2+ and you use L3 outlaws, please update with these.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

Hey, this thing has its own thread?

Anyway, version 2.1 is on the dev server for aspiring campaign writers. If anyone has done independent work on the outlaws, we can work together to update this unit pack.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

You meant 2.2 ? ;)
scott

Post by scott »

Noyga wrote:You meant 2.2 ? ;)
Whoops yes. You continue to catch my mistakes. ;)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Have these guys been updated to 1.2 animations, etc? (I would check,but I can't right now, lack of time, and I only need to know if you've started) If not then a good start point might be the units in IoA, although they were done using Xan's WML converter. If you have then please tell, and I'll download them and put the new ones in IoA.
scott

Post by scott »

Ranger M wrote:Have these guys been updated to 1.2 animations, etc? (I would check,but I can't right now, lack of time, and I only need to know if you've started) If not then a good start point might be the units in IoA, although they were done using Xan's WML converter. If you have then please tell, and I'll download them and put the new ones in IoA.
They're up to 1.1.5's standards. Ask Noyga.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

1.1.5 WML syntax = 1.2 WML syntax ;)
I don't know for the rest (sounds & animation smoothness), but it's probably OK.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The animations and sounds look fine to me. The only thing that looks a bit suspicious is the timing of a few melee attacks - they usually go from something like -350 to 50 or so (or are otherwise "uneven"), making the slide back after the strike sudden, whereas the slide towards the enemy is normal speed (or slightly slower than normal).
viorc

Bandit unit in Outlaw Pack

Post by viorc »

I downloaded the L3 outlaw pack and I am quite surprised to see no Bandit definition.
The bandit configuration I find now in ANO campaign says :

Code: Select all

#ifdef USE_L3_OUTLAWS
        advanceto=Highwayman
#else
        advanceto=null
#endif
If I remove this old definition (level 2, 33 gold, advance to highwayman as USE_L3_OUTLAWS is defined), I would use the default bandit unit (level 2, 23 gold, no advance to) which means that basically no one would advance to the highwayman.
:?
Can anyone explain to me the intended relation between bandit and the L3 outlaw pack (if any) ?
What is the normal use of the highwayman inside the L3 outlaw pack ? Only as leader ?
scott

Post by scott »

The Highwayman has an [advancefrom] tag. Have you experienced problems advancing the Outlaw?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
viorc

Post by viorc »

scott wrote:The Highwayman has an [advancefrom] tag.

Does it mean that a bandit will advance to highwayman even if bandit configuration does not set the advanceto parameter ? Good ! :D
scott wrote:Have you experienced problems advancing the Outlaw?
No, as I am still using the old bandit file that I described. I will remove it to see how it goes.
[edit] Removed. Still no problem to advance bandit. :D[/edit]
And about rising the price of the bandit from default 23 gold to 33 gold. Was it to balance the fact that he had an advancement ?
Or 33 gold is just an old value that can be dropped ?
scott

Post by scott »

viorc wrote:
scott wrote:The Highwayman has an [advancefrom] tag.

Does it mean that a bandit will advance to highwayman even if bandit configuration does not set the advanceto parameter ? Good ! :D
scott wrote:Have you experienced problems advancing the Outlaw?
No, as I am still using the old bandit file that I described. I will remove it to see how it goes.
[edit] Removed. Still no problem to advance bandit. :D[/edit]
And about rising the price of the bandit from default 23 gold to 33 gold. Was it to balance the fact that he had an advancement ?
Or 33 gold is just an old value that can be dropped ?
33 is an old value. There were some significant balance changes with the outlaws, and their L3 counterparts haven't really been updated to account for this. I like the way I had them because they were balanced only for campaign use. I assume one of the MP eras that uses them made some changes along the way.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I use all the stats as is in the extended era and it doesn't looks like a problem here :
- L2 & L3 units aren't recruitable here
- L3 units are usually rarely seen in MP, and their other stats don't look clearly unbalanced.
The only changes i made to them is IIRC :
- Cloning all the default outlaws units (except the thief line) so they can advance to the L3 units without using [advancefrom] tags.
- Changing the Henchman advancement so it advance to my clones
- Adding the Raider advancement (from IoA) to the Brigand
- Perhaps i did fix a few minor things, but i'm not sure

There might be some issues with the Henchman and the Brigand that i found a little underpowered, so i might alter those two in my era in the future :
- Decrease the cost of the Brigand
- Decrease the cost of the Henchman and/or Increase its damages just a little bit
viorc

Shadow Lord leadership macro

Post by viorc »

Being introduced recently to the syntax of the leadership macro, after having checked the units used in ANO campaign, it seems to me that the Shadow Lord has a problem in its definition. It states:

Code: Select all

Shadow_Lord.cfg:                {ABILITY_LEADERSHIP_LEVEL_2}
Shadow_Lord.cfg:        level=3
Shouldn't it be ABILITY_LEADERSHIP_LEVEL_3 consistant with all other units ?