mini-Icons for attack types

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

mini-Icons for attack types

Post by Jetrel »

If someone wanted to add iconographic representations into the interface, well, here are icons for doing just that:

15x15 pngs.
Attachments
AttackTypeIcons.zip
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
icon-demo.png
icon-demo.png (21.78 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

too late for 1.2, I'm afraid...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

They're okay, but I prefer just using text descriptions of the attack types. Having icons under the words seems unnecessary, and the words do a better jobs. But I suppose the devs can argue about this somewhere else.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Yeah, it looks nice but in corner-cases it will be self-defeating. For example, new users may see a sword icon for animal fangs and consider that a 'bug.' I don't have a strong opinion about it one way or the other, though.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

could the icon go infront of the text damage-type description? Or maybe completely replace it?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Eleazar wrote:could the icon go infront of the text damage-type description? Or maybe completely replace it?
I would completely replace it with the text put into a tool-tip.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

One attack type can represent a lot of different types of attacks - blade for example: it can mean swords, bites, throwing knives, etc. I don't think it's a good idea to replace "blade" with a sword icon (and you can't really make a small icon that conveys the idea of "blade" in a more abstract way).
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

maybe by showing the type of damage that blade does? That is the way that things are classified as blade, so showing a cut, maybe two (sort of half way between the traditional sword's one cut, and the claws three) could work...
deserter
Art Contributor

Re: mini-Icons for attack types

Post by deserter »

Jetryl wrote:If someone wanted to add iconographic representations into the interface, well, here are icons for doing just that:

15x15 pngs.
Maybe these could be used to access the resistances information easier? With tool-tips...

Like this: (maybe one icon to represent the resistances would be better?)
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: mini-Icons for attack types

Post by Zhukov »

deserter wrote:Maybe these could be used to access the resistances information easier? With tool-tips...
Someone suggested something like that a while back. They had the icons under the attacks with numbers next to them to directly show resistances (without tooltips). I really like the idea of showing resisances in the unit profile, however it is done.

I'm not so keen on having icons in the attack dialog, however I'm not vehemently opposed to the idea.

Just my 2 cents.
JW

Post by JW »

Having access to unit resistancy information without opening the description window would be beneficial for some players. If it's implemented I think it should be done through a single mouse-over icon, the icon being the combined picture of all 6 resistancy icons.

...or perhaps the word "resistancies"
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

If icons were to be used, it seems like the general idea of each could be conveyed by shading the icons: white is 0%, shades of red for negative resistances, and shades of green otherwise. While a tooltip would still be useful, the gist of a unit's resitances could be seen at a glance.
Author of Wercator
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Quensul wrote:If icons were to be used, it seems like the general idea of each could be conveyed by shading the icons: white is 0%, shades of red for negative resistances, and shades of green otherwise. While a tooltip would still be useful, the gist of a unit's resitances could be seen at a glance.
Sounds like a good idea. The numerical value would still be accessable through a tool-tip. Though the icons should be modified to show a little more of the color.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Quensul wrote:If icons were to be used, it seems like the general idea of each could be conveyed by shading the icons: white is 0%, shades of red for negative resistances, and shades of green otherwise. While a tooltip would still be useful, the gist of a unit's resitances could be seen at a glance.
I propose using the color spectrum. It may be simpler to immediately recognize.

Red (Greatly Negative)
Orange
Yellow (Zero)
Green
Blue (Greatly Positive)
(Purple?)
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

If you were going to do a gradient of multiple colors, I would be tempted to say use a color_range. This would simplify the code somewhat. Defining a color range that goes from red -> blue -> green would be relatively easy task (rainbow=0,0,255,0,255,0,255,0,0). Alternatively you could go red -> yellow -> green or red ->white -> green. Just a thought.