Hippos...

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

*sigh* You Imperial Agers are so... odd. I mean riding a hippo into battle?
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Ryorin wrote:*sigh* You Imperial Agers are so... odd. I mean riding a hippo into battle?
The hippo is meant to be a really, weak pricy water unit, that sucks anywhere but water.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Ryorin wrote:*sigh* You Imperial Agers are so... odd. I mean riding a hippo into battle?
turin has this idea into his head that Imperial factions need either a flyer or a unit with deep water capabilities. I think it is to make it more Default-like, although it is also breaking a whole lot of flavor.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Maybe it's a hungry, hungry hippo. :P

The hippo looks nice, but the rider's legs and lower torso look odd straddling such a wide animal. Maybe he should crouch on it or sit crosslegged on its back instead?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Oreb wrote:The hippo is meant to be a really, weak pricy water unit, that sucks anywhere but water.
I know, I know WINR.. but.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus.
Hippos are highly territorial; a male hippo often marks his territory along a riverbank from which to draw in a harem of females, while defending it against other males. Male hippos challenge one another with threatening gapes. Their canine teeth are 50 cm (20 inches) long, and it uses its head as a battering ram, especially against rival males while fighting over territory. Since their habitat is often encroached upon by farmers and tourists, and because they are so territorial, the hippopotamus is one of the most dangerous animals in Africa. They are said to account for more human deaths than any other African mammal. The hippo does not hunt humans, but defends its own territory vigorously.
Emphasis in bold by me, of course.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I was waiting for someone to mention that.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Yah, they even kill more people than the nile crocodile...

Btw turin, cool that you took my hippo suggestion :)
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:turin has this idea into his head that Imperial factions need either a flyer or a unit with deep water capabilities. I think it is to make it more Default-like, although it is also breaking a whole lot of flavor.
Actually, Noy had that idea. I'm just following his advice. ;)

The only one that is breaking any flavor, possibly, is the hippo rider. The Boatsman makes perfect sense, I think.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

The strange thing about that, is that if the hippo kills alot of people, who in their right mind would tame one?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ryorin wrote:The strange thing about that, is that if the hippo kills alot of people, who in their right mind would tame one?
A] Circuses tame lions and tigers and bears, oh my. Especially (by orders of magnitude) in ancient times, exotic and dangerous animals were a grand attraction for very well-paying audiences, since they were the only chance these people would have to see such an animal in their life. It's not like they had the discovery channel back then - in fact most did not even have picture books!

B] Elephants are about as mighty as hippos, and can be extremely dangerous. Yet people tame them all the time.

:| Speaking of which - an elephant would be an equally viable option for a swimming unit. Elephants are very good swimmers. Not saying you *should* use one, but they'd be fine for use, and woud fit the lavinians quite well.

:) You could also then have an impact, charge attack (though I suppose you could have the same with the hippo).
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Jetryl wrote:
Ryorin wrote:The strange thing about that, is that if the hippo kills alot of people, who in their right mind would tame one?
A] Circuses tame lions and tigers and bears, oh my. Especially (by orders of magnitude) in ancient times, exotic and dangerous animals were a grand attraction for very well-paying audiences, since they were the only chance these people would have to see such an animal in their life. It's not like they had the discovery channel back then - in fact most did not even have picture books!

B] Elephants are about as mighty as hippos, and can be extremely dangerous. Yet people tame them all the time.

:| Speaking of which - an elephant would be an equally viable option for a swimming unit. Elephants are very good swimmers. Not saying you *should* use one, but they'd be fine for use, and woud fit the lavinians quite well.

:) You could also then have an impact, charge attack (though I suppose you could have the same with the hippo).
Indeed - Elephants are possible. But the Hippo is more Original :)
Its a cool idea.

Personally - i think an ostrich rider would be cool. And it already has an undead counterpart.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote::| Speaking of which - an elephant would be an equally viable option for a swimming unit. Elephants are very good swimmers. Not saying you *should* use one, but they'd be fine for use, and woud fit the lavinians quite well.
Huh. I was under the impression that elephants, while able to swim, were not very good at it...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

For everyone, hippos just looks more aquatic than elephants.
While i have no idea of the swimming skill of the elephant, for the hippo it is obvious.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

I don't know, I just think that a hippo is too bizarre. But it dosen't really matter what I say if everyone else likes it.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

*gears movement*

I think i would prefer all flyers, even if they were sorta-mythological, at least it would give more consistency over all the factions.

The Airiya are supposed to get an Assyrian angel/guardian. Bird legs, wings and head placed in a humanoid frame. As an example, the Lavinians could have an spirit of the minor goddess Discipline (maybe even represented as an eagle). The Sidhe are okay seeing how they already have an spirit, and i don't remember the basis for the Marauders so i can't propose a thing.

*gears movemeent stops*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004