Can AI see rangers/avengers?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cheerful coffin

Can AI see rangers/avengers?

Post by cheerful coffin »

There are several times that I am tempted to drop my avengers in a forest, which is behind the enemies. But I am not sure if AI can see all my units. So I figure I might as well ask since this, if works, is a beautiful strategy.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

No, it can't. When a unit is hidden from view, I think the AI just doesn't consider it as there.

From what I understand, the current AI doesn't have anything that allows it to handle hidden units (Ambush, Submerge, Nightstalk), so it can neither see the unit nor anticipate where the unit might be. I've done this versus AI a bunch and it falls for it every time.
jg

Post by jg »

It's quite sweet to take 1-2 Elvish Avengers, drop them in a forest, go behind the back of the enemy, and take out the leader in 1-2 turns, ain't it?

jg
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

In the old Siege of Elensefar, you could take three Rangers, put them in the forest, wait for the Orcish Warlord to step out into the water (which he usually did) and then massacre him.

Taking down an Orcish Warlord is nowhere near as impressive nowadays... :(

Aaaah the nostalgia. When I first played, IIRC, they had 15-4 melee and 80 HP. That totals to 60 melee damage even in twilight. Well, after a while, the devs realized that level 3s were way too powerful and toned them down, leaving the Warlord at 13-4. That leaves the Warlord still being the biggest, baddest unit on the battlefield - I mean, he's an Orc, right? Orcs are, like, THE melee race, and that guy is the top of the Orcish warrior line, so he should be powerful, eh? Well, it seems the devs didn't think so, because just recently they reduced the attack to 15-3, even less damage than your average level 3 fighter!

Give me a Royal Guard over a Warlord any day. :(
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

The AI doesn't see hidden units, but when it did see them in the previous turns, it tries to find them...
kiet

Post by kiet »

The AI often find your hidden units because of these reasons.
It sees a village and try to claim it,but find your unit hiding instead.
It want to go and attack you leader and of course manage to find your unit.
So the AI really is stupid but lucky in several ways.(I think it´s cheating :P )
toms

Post by toms »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Aaaah the nostalgia. When I first played, IIRC, they had 15-4 melee and 80 HP. That totals to 60 melee damage even in twilight. Well, after a while, the devs realized that level 3s were way too powerful and toned them down, leaving the Warlord at 13-4. That leaves the Warlord still being the biggest, baddest unit on the battlefield - I mean, he's an Orc, right? Orcs are, like, THE melee race, and that guy is the top of the Orcish warrior line, so he should be powerful, eh? Well, it seems the devs didn't think so, because just recently they reduced the attack to 15-3, even less damage than your average level 3 fighter!

Give me a Royal Guard over a Warlord any day. :(
In good old times, elvish avengers had 10-5 melee :shock: , the champions had 16-4 and 10-4, paladins were as strong as a grand knight with holy 5-strike sword, etc, etc. I want cool overpower nostalgia back! :twisted:
(not to forget troll whelps with 20 xp...)
Last edited by toms on June 16th, 2006, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
kiet

Post by kiet »

I
n good old times, elvish avengers ahd 10-5 melee :shock: , the champions had 16-4 and 10-4, paladins were as strong as a grand knight with holy 5-strike sword, etc, etc. I want cool overpower mostalgia back! :twisted:
(not to forget troll whelps with 20 xp...)
Hmmm...........Yeah,I manged to see this yesterday when I was watching the ancient screenshots.
Hehehe,the Champion rocks a while then :lol:
and could easily pwn a Sharpshooter out in the open plains.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I don't believe that the AI can not see ambushed units.

I'm currently working on a wose-campaign and I noticed that the AI will follow a wose moving around in the forest.
I can post replays to proof that :wink:
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Baufo wrote:I don't believe that the AI can not see ambushed units.

I'm currently working on a wose-campaign and I noticed that the AI will follow a wose moving around in the forest.
I can post replays to proof that :wink:
Then again you don't need to believe you can check the source code. Which incidentally is the only way to proof anything here.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
kiet

Post by kiet »

It is problely going at your leaders direction,or it is moving to claim a village,which is the way you are fleeing.
Elvish Orc Slayer

Post by Elvish Orc Slayer »

well, I was playing Slaying Dwarves, a senario on the Elf War campaign, and I had previously leveled up an archer to a ranger. now, while playing the level, I sent my Ranger and my Avenger General into the patches of forest (making them hidden) to smear the enemy dwarf.

the AI found both of my units once, while moving in no possisiton of interest, as if it was going after my units.

now, i believe it was possible that the AI was just going around my main area of troops to flank it, and got caught in the ZoC of my hidden elves. but it could also be, as kiet said, my comp must be cheating, and i thought that only a windows did that too you and not a mac...

The Elvish Orc Slayer
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

yup, and the computer also has better luck too:roll:

If the AI knows you have a unit, with ambush, and that it dissappeared, there are only so many places it could have gone... if it isn't actually coded, it's simply one's own idea that the computer has an unfair advantage
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

kiet wrote:It is problely going at your leaders direction,or it is moving to claim a village,which is the way you are fleeing.
Well, the scenario which I was talking about I have got only a single wose. If I moved it in one direction the whole army of my opponent followed him and as I retried it and moved in the other direction the whole army followed again the wose. It actually seems not to "see" the wose, but it's like it could "smell" it.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
kiet

Post by kiet »

Hmmm................A wierd situation here.
Is that wose your leader?