cheater

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FireZnake

cheater

Post by FireZnake »

HI!

I've just had a cheater on my map (version: 1.02)! He had unlimited money! :x
This sucks!

greetings
FZ
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

A word to the wise: Don't play with cheaters.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Wow, a rather impressive cheater 8)
Seems if he had even to compile his own version of Wesnoth for that. I don't know how he could have done it through "customizing" some cfg files.

btw: Cheating SUCKS :!:
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Right, so what can one do to recognise or otherwise deal with cheaters?

Other than while playing a game and quitting the game you're playing, resp. if one should find oneself in a multiplayer game with a cheater.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It wouldn't even work to compile his own version... since both computers keep track of how much gold he has, your computer would start spewing OOSs when he tried to spend gold that your computer said he didn't have. We've had people try that before.

(A much easier way to cheat, if you are the host, would be to set your gold to 1000 and then before they notice start the game.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

turin wrote:It wouldn't even work to compile his own version... since both computers keep track of how much gold he has, your computer would start spewing OOSs when he tried to spend gold that your computer said he didn't have. We've had people try that before.
A long time ago i tried out a similar thing in a LAN game (Don't worry it was a test, I played myself :P ) It turned out that the game kept going on just normal also i had increased the damage of serveral units on one computer. It always used the settings of the computer which turn it was.

Ok, it's very noticable if you change damage or healthpoints but if you'd change f.i. the defence of your favourite faction... could never be proofed, you would just become known as a terrible lucker.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

An OOS will not occur until you try to spend the gold you gave yourself - i.e., until you would have normally ran out of gold, but your cheating means you still have gold to spend, and you try to spend it. The same thing with extra damage - an OOS will only occur when a unit would not normally be dead, but it is dead on your computer because you do extra damage.

This is the primary reason of OOSs when using SVN - if two people with incompatible versions start playing, they might not notice until one of their computers says a Thunderer has 2 HP left, and the other says he is dead.

So, that might be the explanation.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
jg

Re: cheater

Post by jg »

FireZnake wrote:He had unlimited money! :x
Just wondering: did you actually see it somewhere? Or did you notice it by him recruiting endless hordes of units?

jg
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

On older versions, some OOS errors (I think money was one of these), there would be no GUI warning, and I would find it on the console after I quit.

If you play on windows, try in stderr.txt (in the wesnoth folder).
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
a

Post by a »

I got OOS errors when he recruited units on his second turn. So yes he had unlimited amount of money
FireZnake

Post by FireZnake »

jg wrote:
FireZnake wrote:He had unlimited money! :x
Just wondering: did you actually see it somewhere? Or did you notice it by him recruiting endless hordes of units?

jg

He even had the name cheater. Each player had 100 gold and he recruited within 2 rounds for about 260 then I aborted the game (I was the host)
scott

Post by scott »

Lesson: don't play a game with a cheater, whether that's his name or not.
:)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
cheater

Post by cheater »

I always alert my opponents about cheating.
Who can't read really suckers.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

cheater wrote:I always alert my opponents about cheating.
And most people would assume that it was a joke, so unless you actually said that you were going to cheat then you didn't really. (if somebody went around trying to join games with a nick like cheater, would you think that he was being serious? Or would you think that his nick was a joke?)
cheater

Post by cheater »

Ranger M wrote:
cheater wrote:I always alert my opponents about cheating.
And most people would assume that it was a joke, so unless you actually said that you were going to cheat then you didn't really. (if somebody went around trying to join games with a nick like cheater, would you think that he was being serious? Or would you think that his nick was a joke?)
I think its are they problems.