The Sceptre of Fire

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

barefootguru

Post by barefootguru »

I've tried this a number of times (same map and different maps) but in the worst games too many lucky hits from l3 trolls and it's all over, and in the best games the 4 troll-producing factories are churning them out so fast they clog the passageways and I can't gain ground quickly enough to find the sceptre.

I'm on medium. I start with 230 gold and every map I've tried hasn't had enough villages to support me, let alone recall/recruit more.

My party (sometimes in 1 group, sometimes 2) is along the lines of:
4 * Usual suspects (Li'sar l2, Konrad + Kalenz l3, Delfador aka Gandalf l5)
1 * l1 Dwarvish Fighter
1 * l3 Dwarvish Lord
3 * l2 Dwarvish Steelclad
3 * l2 Dwarvish Thunderguard
2 * l3 Mages of Light
1 * l3 Shyde

I've already backtracked once to Lost General to get the dwarves levelled up.

Should this be sufficient? Is it my tactics or army which is lacking?

Cheers
digioso

Post by digioso »

I think you are lacking in money. :)
I had about 800 Gold and ended up with ~200.
barefootguru

Post by barefootguru »

digioso wrote:I think you are lacking in money. :)
I had about 800 Gold and ended up with ~200.
I need to get my lovely Shyde working in her spare time!

(Is that pronounced Shade or Shy-d?)

Seriously, did you use some of the money to recall/recruit more units?

I could try Hasty Alliance again. Last time Li'sar managed to get to the leader before I did…
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

barefootguru wrote:(Is that pronounced Shade or Shy-d?)
Well well. IIRC it was originally a mis-entering of Sidhe, or at least a corruption thereof, which is pronounced Shee, and therefore, it seems most appropriate to pronounce Shyde as Shy. :wink:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

Click here for the latest version of the scenario file. I managed to add some roads and more villages near your castle. The roads fizzle out as you get into enemy territory. You can replace your game's scenario file with it or compile the latest SVN version to play it. If anyone can come up with a better terrain mask, we can use it. I'm just stoked that it worked.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
barefootguru

Post by barefootguru »

OK, thanks people.

I backtracked to Lost General, recruiting a smaller army of dwarves.

I started Sceptre of Fire with about 400 gold this time, and ended up with an easy map! There were 3 paths from the starting keep: left to enemy, tiny centre passage to enemy + sceptre, and right to enemy (with passage to sceptre).

So after a few restarts because I volunteered some good people to gather this intelligence, I finished it.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

thanks! i have also been banging my head against the wall, been defeated dozens of times. my gold is around 280.

i dread going back to previous scenario to make more gold. i barely survived those :/ maybe best for me to start from the beginning, knowing what i do now i 'm sure i can do better :)

question: if the difficulty level is set to "medium", and someone reaches a scenario where they don't have sufficient resources to finish, shouldnt the game adjust the opposition to keep it at "medium" difficulty?
kiet

Post by kiet »

Eh,you should think if it´s worth to post on a topic that noone has posted in around 4 months.
Please remember it next time
Elvish Orc Slayer

Post by Elvish Orc Slayer »

wellibeat this level 1st try on easy.

i sent an equal army of dwarves toboth sides, sending Mr.Elder Mage and Princess to the left and Mr. Elf Lord to the right. i was able to break the enemy lines on the right, while my left units were kept at bay with constant waves of trools. eventually using my Elder mage to break through the trolls, i advanced behind the enemy while i sent the right side dwarves to take outthe bulk of the enemy lines.

meanwhile (not knowing if any enemys are left) i sent Princess with 2 dwarves (as guards) to find the septer. it was in the middle
scott

Post by scott »

Some feedback on this level in 1.1.5 would be welcome.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
podunk

Post by podunk »

Played on 1.1.5 and 1.1.7 in medium. 1.1.7 is somewhat faster than 1.1.5.

First of all - it's a far better looking scene that 1.0.2. The lava pits and the mushroom forests are nice touches.

In one way it's much easier; there are now villages. At first it seemed too easy, there aren't nearly as many trolls, and I haven't run into any saurians the 2 times i played, but the map is bigger which leads to a very nice feature:

It's a maze. In 1.0.2 you knew the Scepter was some place between the 2 passages, the only question was which one to chose first, and where did your rear guard make their stand? The scepter was always in plain sight in the middle of a room or passage. Now it's a true maze with multiple twisting passages and the scepter could be anywhere so you have to check every nook and cranny and all of a sudden those level 0 spear men, orc grunts and occasional troll get very interesting.

While checking all the little passages and nooks and crannies your force gets scattered and just about the time I spot the scepter I end up in a very big messy battle royal - moving units hither and yon in reaction to this or that critter showing up - and it was great fun! :-)

The first time through I got slaughtered, the second time took quite a few losses - but had learned my lesson and didn't let my leveled units get out on their own.

Y'all done good, and I can't wait for 1.2.

dennis
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

kiet wrote:Eh,you should think if it´s worth to post on a topic that noone has posted in around 4 months.
Please remember it next time
The topic was new to me and relevant to all since the 1.02 version is still the stable release version. Also, i want to give thanks to those folks who providing good advice on this scenario.