Wesnoth 1.1.4 - memory issues?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Ailurus

Wesnoth 1.1.4 - memory issues?

Post by Ailurus »

I spent several hours trying (emphisis on trying) to play the Home of the North Elves scenario in HttT today (version 1.1.4, windows binary), and its been painful. Its been taking 30+ minutes for one turn of the AI. I just checked the process list for my machine and Wesnoth.exe is listed as using anywhere from 177000 to over 300,000 KB of memory. Something seems very wrong here - I get better performance AND lower system usage in Age of Empires III than I do in Wesnoth on that level.

However, the rest of the campaign up to that point worked fine, as did some other campaigns (Story of the Woses and part of Rise of Wesnoth). The only noticible difference (on the surface) between Home of the Elves and the other scenarios was the presence of Fog of War. However, I did a test of two AI skirmishes (one with fog of war, one without it), and the memory and CPU usage patterns were almost the same between them - I barely saw the memory usage jump over 100,000 kb, and when I switch out of Wesnoth for a short time (such as writing this post) it goes back down to 7,000 K, rather than remaining at 2-300,000 (like it did for the campaign level). So, fog of war isn't the cause, but if something is messed up in the level code for that scenario it could potentially show up in other ones too.

My save file for the start of the level is attached, if anyone else wants to see if they can duplicate the problem.
Attachments
Home_of_the_North_Elves.zip
(32.49 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
scott

Post by scott »

A lot of the performance issues have been or will be addressed already, and you should (hopefully!) see an improvement in the next release. Hang in there!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I have the feeling that the main problem is saving, auto-saving, and keeping track of replays