New "wild elf" faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Oreb wrote:
turin wrote:I don't even recognize the name. What did he do in Sidhe history?

BTW, I'm going to be giving a name to the Lavinian Emperor who reigned right before the final Marauder invasions began. It would also be nice to have a name for the reigning Wild Elf at that point in time. (This is all for the Imperial Era Campaign, BTW.)
Hmmm... could be Vanimarro, though I have no idea who he is :P, I'll start thinking, the leader will either be a Thunderblade or a Stormlord... Since stormlords are feared, and Thunderblades... well are just cool
Before you do that, I'd like to hear what Thunderblade was going with the name...
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Kestenvarn wrote:
Oreb wrote: Hmmm... could be Vanimarro, though I have no idea who he is :P, I'll start thinking, the leader will either be a Thunderblade or a Stormlord... Since stormlords are feared, and Thunderblades... well are just cool
Before you do that, I'd like to hear what Thunderblade was going with the name...
If he gets back to Wesnoth, again... I fear he may have left again

EDIT: On a different note, I will be off Wesnoth for about a week or so. Starcraft has tightened its grip around me, and won't relent... Must beat adversary... May the Zerg be Triumphant.

Though I may be off the Forums and the MP Server, I will be working on the Sidhe and other Projects...

When I get back, I will have all the changes to Sidhe completed, and and sligth attempt at fixing the Ancestor advancing bug... Does anyone else actually get it

See ya in a week
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Thunderblade

Post by Thunderblade »

Hi friends! Sorry for disapearing again... Exam week :P

About Vanimaro: his tale is in one of the first pages of this thread. He was the first and only Sidhe king, owner of the original Thunderblade (the ones used by Sidhe nobility now are magical swords imbued with shards of this one, broken when he died). Here he is: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=60

I know this short tale wont fit with the most recent versions of their history, but the character should be kept, with some minor changes... :)

Sorry for not being able to write more right now - still have one more exam today, and another tomorrow... I have some good news, however: one of the tales I had promised is almost done, and will soon be posted here...
Wild Elves playtesting! Come and give your comments!
The Sidhe Project
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Well I am back after my week, and did some work on the cfgs, I pretty much destroyed the whole Wild Elf Era :oops:, by using the coding of Imperial Era, and since they both have different names, eg: w-elf-warrior/wild-elf-warrior.

I spent over 24 hours working on it, but to no sucess, so the Sidhe era will be taken off for now, and so the Sidhe will be only be in the Imperial Era. Which is what Turin wanted all along. Also, spent alot of time trying the fix the ancestor line, and almost completed it... Turin I'll post every cfg later, with the Sidhe in a separate .zip, see what you can do... (I really miss using the Forefathers

Latest Sidhe Stats

Code: Select all

Warrior - Cost to 14
Herald - Cost to 32, +6 hitpoints
Warsinger - Cost to 52, +2 hitpoints, +1 damage, -1 attack
Bladespinner - Cost to 32, +2 hitpoints, +1 damage
Wardancer - Cost to 52, +6 hitpoints, +1 damage
Veiledblade - Cost to 32, +6 hitpoints
Shadowdancer - Cost to 52, +2 hitpoints
Fury - +2 hitpoints, changed special to berserk
Wildblade - Cost to 35, +2 hitpoints, changed special to berserk
Whirlwind - +4 hitpoints, changed special to berserk
Raindancer - Cost to 22, exp to 48, +4 hitpoints
Windlasher - Cost to 38, exp to 76, +10 hitpoints
Tempest - +10 hitpoints, exp to 100
Stormlord - +12 hitpoints
War Mage - Cost to 38, exp to 76, +2 hitpoints, +1 ranged damage
Thunderblade - +2 hitpoints
Wanderer - +2 hitpoints, exp to 40, +1 ranged damage
Tracker - Cost to 30, +2 hitpoints, exp to 60
Windrunner - +4 hitpoints
Warrior Spirit - +5 hitpoints, +1 attack
Ancestor - +8 hitpoints, +2 ranged damage
Forefather - +10 hitpoints, +1 ranged damage
Many units were underpowered, while others a bit overpowered, I fixed the health problem, and lowered the cost of the Raindancer.
Khanstant

Post by Khanstant »

Neoriceisgood wrote:
With orcs the problem is, no matter in what manner you look at them; they're still brutes; no matter if you clad them in gold armour or a loincloth;
Wrong. Orcs are exactly however you imagine them. Even if you keep them orcish it is possible to have them be unbrutish. Warcraft did a well enough job of showing that orcs aren't all about death and chaos. They can be a shamanistic people, without being outright warriors. Having a shamanistic hunter/gatherer faction of orcs is possible and would be interesting.

And as for the elvesbeing more like natures dangerous aspects, you forget that while, yes, nature is unpredictable and dangerous, it isn't always in flashes. A drought is a long, slong way of "attacking", and hurricanes don't start out that way, they build up to wreak their havock. Just something to think about.

Oh, sorry about brining stuff up from page one, but I just wanted to point those things out.
Qiyamat qiyamat a tawil
Qiyamat qiyamat insan al kamel
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Khanstant wrote:And as for the elvesbeing more like natures dangerous aspects, you forget that while, yes, nature is unpredictable and dangerous, it isn't always in flashes. A drought is a long, slong way of "attacking", and hurricanes don't start out that way, they build up to wreak their havock. Just something to think about.
I don't see your point, here.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Please don't make useless comments on a post so old its probably forgotten, and your also bringing orcs in. whats it got to do with orcs!

Anyway, .cfgs are here...

@ Turin, please take a look at the Sidhe Ancestors line, I want to use them again and I can't for fear of the match crashing.

I think their might actually be a prolem with the era, since I renamed the Sidhe line Wild_Elf_....., They use to be Sidhe_......
Attachments
Wild Elves.zip
Wild Elves
(12.57 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Sidhe.zip
Sidhe
(2.1 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'm not sure what the problem you're trying to inform me of is. :?

(Sorry it took me so long to answer.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

turin wrote:I'm not sure what the problem you're trying to inform me of is. :?

The Problem is... When the Warrior Spirit of Ancestor advances it says

missing unit "
Does this actually happen to anyone else or is it just me?[/quote]
Oliphant

Post by Oliphant »

Oreb wrote:
turin wrote:I'm not sure what the problem you're trying to inform me of is. :?

The Problem is... When the Warrior Spirit of Ancestor advances it says

missing unit "
Does this actually happen to anyone else or is it just me?
[/quote]

I'm getting the same thing. Missing unit "whatever" and end of game. I've been trying out Imperial Era for a few days and I have to make sure to kill all the enemies Spirits before they level to keep the game going ;(

This is with the latest version for 1.1.2 d/l off the campaign server, which is 0.10. I tried a fresh install of the game, SVN version, etc, no difference.

How can I d/l the SVN version of Imperial Era so I get the latest changes?
Pudding

Post by Pudding »

What's the status on the Sidhe development?
Pudding

Post by Pudding »

I'll take that as 'stalled.' Either way, I quite like the concept of the sidhe, and put my unskilled hand to some animations. However, I got the feelng there's just something missing unitwise. Something in the support category, so I cooked up something of my own.

Vinewhips are poorer members of sidhe society who, after living in and off of the forests all their lives, have developed an empaty with the trees. With practice, they develop the ability to use the forest as a weapon, eventually becoming able to move undetected through the trees and heal wounds.

The Vinewhip is modeled off the Elf Shaman, and solves an aforementioned problem with the sidhe not having any impact damage types. Vinewhips thus make good support troops, using their entangle to slow down enemies, or the weapon of choice against skeletons. The higher levels, Treespeaker and Foresttender, get a powerful branch attack.
Vinewhip
hitpoints=26
movement_type=wwoodland
movement=6
experience=32
level=1
alignment=chaotic
advanceto=W_Elf_Treespeaker
cost=23
"The lower classes of sidhe society often rely on the forest for food and shelter. A lifetime spent in the forest brings many of the sidhe closer to the trees on which they depend, and sidhe whose empathy with their forest home is particularly strong often develop an ability to use the forest itself as a weapon. The first talent these sidhe learn is to call forth vines from the earth to bind and lash at their enemies."
Treespeaker
hitpoints=36
ability=heals,ambush
movement_type=wwoodland
movement=6
experience=80
level=2
alignment=chaotic
advanceto=W_Elf_Treespeaker
cost=60
"Treespeakers have learned to call up the trees of the forest to attack their enemies, catching them with their roots, then pounding them into the ground with their mighty limbs. Their close relationship with the forest also allows them to move undetected through the trees."
Foresttender
hitpoints=46
ability=cures,ambush
movement_type=wwoodland
movement=6
experience=100
level=3
alignment=chaotic
cost=80
"Almost one with the forest, Foresttenders can make plants bloom with a touch, and turn that power against their enemies. Many foresttenders withdraw from sidhe society, spending more and more time among the trees, emerging from the wilderness only when their talents are needed for war."
Comments desired.
Attachments
Foresttender.png
Foresttender.png (11.13 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
Treespeaker.png
Treespeaker.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
Vinewhip.png
Vinewhip.png (9.27 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
Warrior.png
Warrior.png (11.4 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
Raindancer.png
Raindancer.png (11.23 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
Pudding

Post by Pudding »

Here's a zip with the animations and cfgs for the Vinewhip line, and the cfgs to use the Raindancer and Warrior animations. Also, note that you'll need to put in the branch-n and branch-ne png's into the projectiles folder.
Attachments
Pudding-Sidhe.zip
(90.9 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Pudding wrote:What's the status on the Sidhe development?
AFAIK it is on the balancing stage :shock: .
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
JW

Post by JW »

Those look pretty neat.