Tips for the scenario, The Battle of Wesnoth?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mortsubite

Tips for the scenario, The Battle of Wesnoth?

Post by Mortsubite »

If anyone has a good suggestion or two for the new last battle in the HTTT campaign, please post them. Thanks!
"Imagine waking up in the morning and realizing that's as good as you're going to feel all day" - Dean Martin on sobriety.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I got through it really easily, but I started with 2000 gold.

Other than that...I would say wait for the Royal Guards to come in range, and assassinate them with archers. Then take on the orcs, who shouldn't be too hard.
eugenelim

Post by eugenelim »

Recruit Elvish Fighters to bear the brunt of the blows, backed by Elvish Marshals and heros with leadership.

Use your Elvish Fighters as buffers to protect your powerful recalled units and healers, and you'll win after the initial onslaught. Keep formation, always keep your buffer up.
Mortsubite

Rather anti-climactic...

Post by Mortsubite »

I started out with 1700 gold. After getting my ass kicked several times I decided to recuit nothing but dwarves at 17 gold each. I recruited 11 full rounds of dwarves, and let the enemy (a few orcs, some lv2 bowmen, a few lv2 horse unites, and a ton of heavy infantry) smash into me over and over again. They had no magic users, and no surprises. It reminded me of Pickett hitting the Union center at Gettysburg on the third day- and the result was the same. Utter slaughter. By turn 12, the enemy was broken, sending up no more orcs or cavalry, and maybe 2 infantry and a bowman each round. I then recalled 6 lv3 fighters/mages and marched straight to the Dark Queen and wasted her.

I was kind of hoping for something really challenging and/or brutal that would force me to make difficult choices.

I guess from the responses that my experince was normal.
"Imagine waking up in the morning and realizing that's as good as you're going to feel all day" - Dean Martin on sobriety.
Staxur

Post by Staxur »

It's too easy... You only need gold and the level is brute force with less tactic than any other level in whole game. I first called 3rd level units to stop first atackes, than made a change with fighters to get them healed, recruited fighters while 3rd levels completed healing, and than easily finished rests of enemy armies... Great delusion is that I managed to kill the queen with 2 level 1 fighters! Scenario should be redesigned a little bit. Queen should be the strongest unit on the field and very difficult to kill. Even when you destroy everyone else she should have 4-5 royal guards that protect her, and that do not go on atack but wait till you come close to the queen and than defend her. Once it's public that Li'sar will be the queen scepter should be in her hands even if Konrad took it cause legend sais who has the scepter will rule, or legend should be changed... This level depends on test of the clans completely, and if you do that one good it becomes piece of cake cause gold is all that counts at the end of the game where strategy is the most important thing...
Sly

Post by Sly »

Staxur wrote:Great delusion is that I managed to kill the queen with 2 level 1 fighters! Scenario should be redesigned a little bit. Queen should be the strongest unit on the field and very difficult to kill.
Why ? She is just an evil queen, not a uber powerful demon ... :P
Staxur wrote:Even when you destroy everyone else she should have 4-5 royal guards that protect her, and that do not go on atack but wait till you come close to the queen and than defend her.
That would be a good idea :wink:
toms

Post by toms »

Horsemen only. That really works!

PS: I agree with the no strategy stuff. This is just waste of gold and units...in a wasteland map. :P
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Yeah, as far as I know, this scenario is mainly about massacring enemy units, not strategy. :P

P.S.: improved the thread title...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ailurus

Post by Ailurus »

Strategy can work (at least when I last played it in 1.02). Took Lisar (with the sceptor), Kalenz, Delfador and a grand knight brought over from Test of the Clans straight south right away. They slipped around the enemy army which was distracted, and then rushed right at the queen. Charge from the knight + Sceptre of Fire attack = one successful assassination.
toms

Post by toms »

I would really love to have pikemen in this scenario. :twisted:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Go with a few gryphons south to distract the Queen's units, and while the Queen's units are busy with the gryphons that take over her villages, attack the Royal Guards and the orcs.
With all the gold you have this shouldn't be too difficult if you have got leveled up units left from test of the clans.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon