Updated Story of the Wose

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

joshudson

Updated Story of the Wose

Post by joshudson »

Updated Story of the Wose.
For those of you who tried to play it and found the images were broken, it works now.

My mistake was launching wesnoth from inside the campaigns/Story_of_Wose. It seams that wesnoth searches ./images for images as well as the other usual places.
whitewizard

good campaign

Post by whitewizard »

I was able to play the campaign under the new version, and it was quite enjoyable.

Here are some random comments:

Someday someone is going to have to give the "Green Isle" a name. It has too much connection to not have a name, with its importance in TROW, and so on.

Your statement that the story is a footnote underplays the importance of the wose, I think. You are either being too humble or too careful. The world we are creating as developers is fantasy, so we can shape it as we wish. Don't deny yourself the power you have as a campaign designer to tell the background story that nobody else has told about the wose.

I like the idea that the wose are animated through the same magic as corpses, in order to protect the forests. This is a clever idea. But how did the the Wose leader E-R (for short) come to life beforehand?

Another thought I had: you could possibly incorporate the idea of orcs burnign the trees down with fire, as is the case in the campaign "Elf War" (if I am not mistaken). In this campaign, Goblin Pillagers set fire to the trees, and this would play into your idea of protecting the forests.

The wood mages are a cool addition to the unit database. Bravo!

All in all, I had a good time playing your campaign, so thanks for your work.
turin
Lord of the East

Re: good campaign

Post by turin »

whitewizard wrote:Someday someone is going to have to give the "Green Isle" a name. It has too much connection to not have a name, with its importance in TROW, and so on.
It has a name - the green isle. :?

Much more important is getting names for the Great Continent and the Old Continent.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

whitewizard wrote: Your statement that the story is a footnote underplays the importance of the wose, I think. You are either being too humble or too careful. The world we are creating as developers is fantasy, so we can shape it as we wish. Don't deny yourself the power you have as a campaign designer to tell the background story that nobody else has told about the wose.
I've always thought of the wose's importance to the history of Wesnoth as very small (one scenario in TRoW).
whitewizard wrote: I like the idea that the wose are animated through the same magic as corpses, in order to protect the forests. This is a clever idea. But how did the the Wose leader E-R (for short) come to life beforehand?
Maybe you missed it. The point being is not that they are made alive (they already are) but that they are animated. And furthermore, they are pre-existing souls that are in some way connected to the trees.

I had a design for a campaign in which your leader gets killed and has to be raised kind of like a skeleton, but yet retain free will. This is supposed to be a similar thing.
whitewizard

Post by whitewizard »

turin wrote:
whitewizard wrote:Someday someone is going to have to give the "Green Isle" a name. It has too much connection to not have a name, with its importance in TROW, and so on.
It has a name - the green isle. :?

Much more important is getting names for the Great Continent and the Old Continent.
Right on. I think the Great Continent, and Great River for that matter, are kind of generic names that developed out of a lack of imagination.

I was reading some Celtic folklore recently and learned that the Danube river in Europe is named after the pagan god Danu. Maybe we could borrow this theme. As Eloh seems to be the only named deity in the Wesnoth campaign world, it could be some spin on this name. Elovia, Elosha, Eloh'kian, etc. What do you think?

Maybe a more important problem is how do we get people to buy into it?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

That, i fear, would be a time paradox.

What is wrong with Green Isle?. I admit Great/Old Continent duality hurts a bit, but giving tham names out of nowhere would hurt me and confuse more (New and Old World, anyone?).
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Just a question: Has this been playtested in hard mode under 1.1.2a?
I have not really given it a serious try, but from watching someone
else play it and get slaughtered without doing something obviously stupid, it seems it will be really tough to win the
first scenario on hard, maybe even impossible.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I balanced "hard" for players better than myself. In doing so, I probably
made level 1 a bit too hard.

I did it without saveloading on my tenth try, so it is possible.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

ok, I now played it on hard-nice campaign!
On scenario 1, it is a reverse Delf's Memoirs Lleolyn scenario, where you need the AI's stupidity to win. Normal measures are desperate, but an assasination strategy wins rather easily.
Other remark: On the tunnel scenario(nice btw design with the crumbilg walls and the decision to sacrifice your slowest or least useful units
to slow down the orcs... I ended up with one advance wood mage and 2 Woses, who also advanced many times thanks to the battles with the trolls)
It might be best to specify that you need to reach the exit to the east with the Lorewhatever to win, not just any unit. Plus it might be best to
specify to the far east, since the rockclobber castle is also east compared to the starting point. The point is you need to head with the hero in the right direction, else you may just miss the turn limit...
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Posted another update. Bumped the turns on the last scenario. Santi was right about that limit being too short, and there's definately no storyline reason for a turn limit here.

This version also features Wose Traits, as discussed in http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11010[/url]
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Nice campagin! I enjoyed it very much.

Little Problem: If my leader was killed by the vanishing cave hexes i did not lose. Might be a general Wesnoth bug not to lose if the leader is killed by the [kill] tag but I am not sure.
Liminiality2

Post by Liminiality2 »

you could try something like this:

Code: Select all

[event]
name= leader defeated
 [endlevel]
 result= lose
 bonus= no
 [/endlevel]
[/event]
im not sure if thats right but it might work
*NOTE*: i dunno if the second line is correct mabye there is a different name for that condition...
NO FOG is certain - Elvish Pillager
Campaign: Revenge of the Elves http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11477
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Liminiality2 wrote:

[event]
name= leader defeated
 [endlevel]
 result= lose
 bonus= no
 [/endlevel]
[/event]
make it this:

[event]
name=die
[filter]
canrecruit=1
[/filter]
 [endlevel]
 result= lose
 bonus= no
 [/endlevel]
[/event]
I don't know if that would work with kill tags though. Maybe adding a check to the vanishing hexes for leader would work.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Liminiality2

Post by Liminiality2 »

Wow!
I wasn't that far off!
I'm better at this then I thought! :)
NO FOG is certain - Elvish Pillager
Campaign: Revenge of the Elves http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11477
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I got your bug fixed Baufo (I left off fire_event=yes in the squash code so whatever event I wrote wouldn't work.

I also brought the campaign in sync with the new binary_paths policy at http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11990 and fixed a few other things.