Favorite unit and least favorite

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Now I think twice about it I think that the unit I prefer is the Dwarlobber troll!
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Horseman and whole upgrade tree.

Least i like.. hm... human archer i think.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Ailurus

Post by Ailurus »

When they are my units:
favorite Dragoon/Cavalier. Fast, good armor to a lot of things (except pierce, of course), and a solid melee and decent ranged attack during the day.

least favorite: thug. Melee only, pretty easy to kill, and not much good attacking except at night.

When they are on the other side:
Favorite: drake gliders. Expensive for the enemy, but pretty easy to kill and they don't do much damage to my troops

least favorite: orc assassian. Haven't found a decent way to kill them except with marksman/magic attacks - which consistently get my weaker mage or archer units poisoned.
scott

Post by scott »

Favorite: Knight. I would say the Grand Knight as my real favorite for its sheer power, but pound-for-pound I like the knight better.

Least favorite: skeleton. They are so deadly to play against and so vulnerable when playing with. :roll:
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Favorite: was Dragonguard before they weakened it (way too much IMO)
Least favorite would be the Soulless.

BTW, I never had any trouble dealing with assaisns. I throw my kind of assain at it (ulfzerker).
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

scott wrote:Nice useless-looking avatar
Though he uses a rapier, he is most definitely NOT a fencer (but thanks for saying it's nice, I made it myself).

Incidentally, perhaps I should have phrased my objecion to the fencer better : I am certain that some might like the fencer, but I have never been able to use him in any way.

Skirmisher is useless without muscle, and muscle he ain't got...
JW

Post by JW »

Casual User wrote:Skirmisher is useless without muscle, and muscle he ain't got...
Name one skirmisher with muscle then.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I personally use fencer as defnce unit sometimes, especially when i am attacking, cause he can come quickly from my castle to frontline. Notice:

unit having CtbH: 40% takes twice less damage than unit with CtbH 80%, right?

Unit with CtbH: 30% takes damage twice less than unit woith CtbH 70% and res 20%.

So Fencer put on forest is taking twice less damage than HI on hills, right? (not exactly maybe, but something like that )

Now HI have got less than 2x times HP of Fencer right? So HI and Fencer can defend for the same number of turns? ( in practice HI a bit longer ) but look, as Fencer takes less damage than HI, each 8hp he gets from healing, is worht 2x more than HI. So if your HI/Fencer can defend for 5 turns, you will need 1 additional fencer, co one heals one defends, or 3 additional HInfantires.

I know there are some situations ( not so few ), where having less HP and lower CtbH isnt good. Thats why i mix units. But Fencer is good unit on defence, and he have got additionally moire movement and skirmisher, so on frontline he gets many possible maneveurs, like sacreficing to allow others to retreat ( he can take any empty tile, allowing him to block half of enemies army ) etc.
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Ailurus

Post by Ailurus »

kshinji - that's not totally correct, because of the actual damage reduction the two units have. In most situations, the fencer is taking, on average, the same damage as the HI.

HI and fencer have equal holy resistance.

HI is -10% to fire/cold, while the fencer is 0. But, given as how most fire attacks and (I think?) all cold attacks are magical, the fencer's dodge bonus doesn't help too much there.

Pierce/blade/impact the fencer is -20%/-30%/-20%, while the HI is 40%/50%/30%. So, while the HI will get hit twice as much, the fencer will take a lot more damage when he does get hit.

If an elf archer take on both, using his ranged attack (assuming the fencer is forest, HI is hill)

HI gets hit 60% of the time, so takes 2.4 hits. But each arrow only does 3 damage, so 7.2 damage total.

Fencer only gets hit 30% of the time, so takes 1.2 hits. However, that individual arrow does 6 damage, so its...7.2 total damage.

(Against blade or impact attacks, the fencer will fair somewhat worse over time)

However, they are useful defending in different situations. Skirmisher, as well as the fencer's faster movement and ability to cross mountains help him get into good positions better. And if only facing off against one or two units, there are fair odds of him taking next to no damage that round. However, a single hit from an iron mauler (assuming its not night) can kill a fencer outright - even a strong one - and, regardless of terrain, there's always about a 50%+ chance of that fatal hit landing. An HI can survive two hits from an iron mauler (assuming its not day), but due to their slow speed they are easily trapped in ZoC, and they are very hard to retreat.

Both have their defensive uses, for sure. But personally if I need a sacrifice to let wounded units escape or to let me reform a line, I'll use an HI - that way, one or two lucky shots won't ruin my whole plan.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Hm.. you might be right, however i really noticed i only need 3 fencers where i would be needing 4 HI... But now you made me corious why, cause my explanation seems wrong.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Well, it really depends what faction I'm playing as, and who I'm playing against. All in all, though:

Fav. l1(mainline): ulfserker. Used well and supported well, they will rip your enemy to shreds, then other stuff can come in and finish it off for XP.
Least fav. l1(mainline): orcish grunt. No ranged and doesn't really make up for it by extra HP, few attacks and doesn't really make up for it in strength, cheap or not.

Fav. highlevel(mainline): Silver mage. It's so fun to teleport those things onto some village when your enemy isn't watching, then decimate him. A real good strategy is to have about 3 that teleport in from different directions, one turn after the other, thus the enmy can never get them all at once. Especially if you're playing against undead. :twisted:

Fav. l1(non-mainline*): Legionaire. Variety of attacks is always cool.

Fav. highlevel(non-mainline): Wild Elf Thunderblade or Stormlord(not sure which). besides cool names and cool looks, they are awesomely powerful if you can get them to that high a level.

*=I am referring specifically to Imperial Era.
hey.
kiet

Post by kiet »

Favourite: Elvish Fighters(I just love to see them advancing to Champions)
Least Favourite: Goblin spearmen(they are annoying indeed)
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

I actually like Goblin Spearmen, you can spam them at your enemy while you are waiting for your gold or leader to recover.
hey.
Putninsh

Post by Putninsh »

:roll:
fav: Dwarvish Lord
l/fav: a gob spearman or perhaps a drake glider
Oliphant

Post by Oliphant »

Favorite: Elvish Sylph. I like the slow attacks!
Least: so many units suck it's hard to pick but Peasant sucks the most.
JW wrote:
Casual User wrote:Skirmisher is useless without muscle, and muscle he ain't got...
Name one skirmisher with muscle then.
Desert Prowler (UtBS).
Master at Arms not too bad.

Weak skirmishers are useful -- send in your level 1 skirmisher to kill a level 2 or 3 unit with only a few hp behind enemy lines. Even when you lose your unit, you win, and if it survives, bonus! Just having them forces the enemy to play more conservatively so they can keep their wounded units alive.