Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
highhole

Delfador graphics

Post by highhole »

Argh...
While I played the tutorial I see, the Delfador portrait and the Delfador images are not the same :shock: :? .
That doesn't look good...
Could someone draw new Delfador images please? :)
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Post pictures/images here for quick reference?
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
highhole

Post by highhole »

SmokemJags wrote:Post pictures/images here for quick reference?
OK:
Attachments
The small images left and right are two from the unit images
The small images left and right are two from the unit images
delfador.png (58.2 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

he looks pretty close to the portrait. If anything, although it would be harder, I would change that. Just remove the head hair and shoulder armor, then add a hood and done. I think a Delfador unit that fits the portrait would look too young.
scott

Post by scott »

Dragon Master wrote:he looks pretty close to the portrait. If anything, although it would be harder, I would change that. Just remove the head hair and shoulder armor, then add a hood and done. I think a Delfador unit that fits the portrait would look too young.
good points
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Just completely change the portrait, and the portrait will look like the sprite... nevermind that changing the sprite is infinitely easier...

Of course, there's really not much difference between the sprites. I would just tone down the purple in Delfador's robes so it doesn't look so pink, and change the hood into armor (it already looks basically like armor anyway).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
highhole

Post by highhole »

turin wrote:Just completely change the portrait, and the portrait will look like the sprite... nevermind that changing the sprite is infinitely easier...

Of course, there's really not much difference between the sprites. I would just tone down the purple in Delfador's robes so it doesn't look so pink, and change the hood into armor (it already looks basically like armor anyway).
You forgot the hair... :P
JW

Post by JW »

I thought that this had been discussed by Jetryl before.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I'm pretty sure that when Jetryl says something about this, it will either be:

Yep, I'm already changing the sprite, because I wanted to update him (as with the new CB, he'll be tiny compared to everyone else)

Or:

Nope, portraits and sprites don't have to be completely consistant, just recognisable (and seeing as Defeldor is the only elder mage, you can't mistake them).

Or: (based off possibly outdated info from another version of the portrait)

I'm planning on changing the portrait anyway because I'm not entirely happy with it. This is just the best so far.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Here's a good picture of older Delf by Johann:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

I was under the impression that jetryls delfador portrait was suppose to be of a young Delfador and another one made for when he got older. If so I find it to be appropriate.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Sapient wrote:Here's a good picture of older Delf by Johann:
Actually, he looks a little bit "evil" on this portrait. It's a little odd... But that can be just me and I'm not going that it isn't drawn very well!
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Sapient wrote:Here's a good picture of older Delf by Johann:
frame wrote:I was under the impression that jetryls delfador portrait was suppose to be of a young Delfador and another one made for when he got older. If so I find it to be appropriate.
correct me if I'm wrong, but that pic takes place before the defeldor portrait is shown, as it is before he rescues Konrad, and both the tutorial and campaign that feature him are after he has. So unless he got younger, that pic should show the younger him.

Personally I think that trying to differentiate is pointless, defeldor is already old then he rescues Konrad, and old people tend to look the same once they become old.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Ranger M wrote:correct me if I'm wrong, but that pic takes place before the defeldor portrait is shown, as it is before he rescues Konrad, and both the tutorial and campaign that feature him are after he has. So unless he got younger, that pic should show the younger him.

Personally I think that trying to differentiate is pointless, defeldor is already old then he rescues Konrad, and old people tend to look the same once they become old.
Hmm, right. Seems we have some inconsistencies then. I think I will stay out of the inevitable flamewar to come :)
JW

Post by JW »

frame wrote:Hmm, right. Seems we have some inconsistencies then. I think I will stay out of the inevitable flamewar to come :)
::JW casts Ice::

Maybe that's just the pic on his driver's liscence that he refuses to update because he looks more charming.