Units with different sprites for different terrains.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Naeddyr

Units with different sprites for different terrains.

Post by Naeddyr »

I think it could be useful to have some way to change what sprite a character has depend on what terrain they're standing on or walking through. This way, you could have units with skis or small boats that are 'in rest' on ordinary ground, but 'used' on snow or water.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Can be done in the next release.
Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

zookeeper wrote:Can be done in the next release.
How excellent. I say, this Ideas forum really works! That must have taken only a few minutes.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

The only hitch with your idea is that someone needs to draw all these terrain specific sprites.
Naeddyr

Post by Naeddyr »

Zhukov wrote:The only hitch with your idea is that someone needs to draw all these terrain specific sprites.
I was more of thinking about new units. Skiiers, kayakers, mountain-climbers, tarzans.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

This could also be imposed to show how the terrain affects units. In snow regions unit could have snow piling on them, they could be wet after they go in the water, sweaty and tired in the desert, etc. Once again the only problem is making all the new unit pics.
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

This would be really useful for units like Manders (link: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=), who really should have small one-person flatboats with them, and use the boats in wet terrains, but carry them on their backs elsewhere.

It would also be useful for "digger" units (think: large humanoid mole-like critters), who might need different sprites on sand, for instance, as you wouldn't expect them to be sprouting out of a brown dirt hole on that terrain; diggers would also probably need special above-ground sprites for bridges and mountains.

In short, although doing terrain-specific sprites for most units would just be a lot of work for a minor visual effect, for a few units it might really be necessary.
Disto

Post by Disto »

jonadab wrote:This would be really useful for units like Manders (link: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=), who really should have small one-person flatboats with them, and use the boats in wet terrains, but carry them on their backs elsewhere.

It would also be useful for "digger" units (think: large humanoid mole-like critters), who might need different sprites on sand, for instance, as you wouldn't expect them to be sprouting out of a brown dirt hole on that terrain; diggers would also probably need special above-ground sprites for bridges and mountains.

In short, although doing terrain-specific sprites for most units would just be a lot of work for a minor visual effect, for a few units it might really be necessary.
OR Turin's new "Coracle" units.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Zhukov wrote:The only hitch with your idea is that someone needs to draw all these terrain specific sprites.
I tend to think "If you build it, they will come" in regard to content.

I'm sure when someone suggested adding walk animations to all the units, people were horrified by the amount of effort required. But the capability was included in the engine, and animations are slowly but surely being implemented...
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

More slowly less surely though.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Naeddyr wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Can be done in the next release.
How excellent. I say, this Ideas forum really works! That must have taken only a few minutes.
:)

it took me a whole week of coding (a week of vacation, full time)
but it was worse it, because it added a whole lot of feature at the same time :)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Disto

Post by Disto »

Boucman wrote:
Naeddyr wrote: How excellent. I say, this Ideas forum really works! That must have taken only a few minutes.
:)

it took me a whole week of coding (a week of vacation, full time)
but it was worse it, because it added a whole lot of feature at the same time :)
Worth it, lol not worse it :P, unlucky about your week though.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

definitely worse it :)

remember, I didn't work a week to enable different sprite on different terrain

I worked a week on the whole unit display engine... and one of the consequences is different sprites on different terrain

other ones include 6 directions for all unit images
units animated at all time (including when standing) different animations for healing, healed, etc...

filtering on terrain/direction/unit data for all animations

and so on and so forth
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Aye, teh Coracle. I'll start on it eventually.

Disto: I've been thinking; I think it would work best as a Marauder unit. Mind if I do the art and add the unit to the Marauder faction?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

Wow...with all of these new abilities in the graphics...I have to learn how to sprite. There are so many things that can be done with the Shifters to utilize these new abilities...they could easily be the most visually appealing faction if they had the graphics for it.

-That is not a request for help, just a statement of how visually complex and awe-some I imagine the faction to be once fully animated and programmed:

Different standing images for different terrains, morphing on different terrains to move, morphing to fight/defend, they could truly be a masterpiece...

So far to go. One step at a time.