Silver Mage Portrait

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Zhukov wrote:Did you didn't accidentally post the same image twice?
:) I said there wasn't a lot (of difference) in it.

Look at where his head and neck are relative to the jewelled clasp (or most importantly relative to the centre of his chest).
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:? Some edits. I don't have the time to explain all of them; more or less the effect should be obvious.
Attachments
silver-mage-edits.png
silver-mage-edits.png (51.33 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

You sure see who's the artist here. :D

And to Darth Foo: I agree to all that stuff there and I would be very happy to be listed in the credits if you want to put me there. (Just as Eternal...)

Sorry if I haven't been around for a while. I got this new game (Fallout 2) and i've been busy with it. :oops:
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Big thanks for all of Jetryls edits. I saw one or two tiny things. So here:
Attachments
silver_mage-high-final.png
silver_mage-high-final.png (51.84 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Looks great now except his nose looks a little weird... kinda snoutish.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
scott

Post by scott »

charlieg wrote:Looks great now except his nose looks a little weird... kinda snoutish.
He looks like Kevin Bacon.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

*Googles "Kevin Bacon"*

:D Hehe, you're right. I think it's the line on his cheek that invokes the Bacon look, it gives his face a hollow quality.

A criticism of my own regarding the nose: A human nose does not have a point like that. If the nose stays the way it is now, I reckon it should give him a 2-2 pierce attack with backstab. If you look in a mirror you will see that your nose (hopefully) has a rounded tip, it does not curve outwards into a lethal tip.

Other then that, great job. I love the texture on the robes, especially the sleeve.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The latest version has been committed. This means that Eteranal: you are officially now a wesnoth art contributor. This doesn't mean that you have to stop making improvements to the portrait. The portrait is not currently used in any campaigns or scenarios, but it is available for use.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

*pokes zookeeper*
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

SmokemJags wrote:*pokes zookeeper*
Why? He hasn't even posted on this page (and I'm too lazy to check the previous one).
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Made the cheek line less visible and rounded the nose up... 2-2 piercing did sound kinda funky though. :P
Here you go:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I'm flattered that my edit got incorporated but it was only ever intended to demonstrate how the figure looked with the head shifted back, not to be part of the commit.

Specifically the circled bit is temporary patchwork that I added solely to stop the cut-out section from distracting the eye. The colouring (and possibly the positioning) of the folds is incorrect. I unfortunately don't have the expertise to fix that (or I would have done it right in the first place!) so if someone else could please correct that, it would be much appreciated!

SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Why? He hasn't even posted on this page (and I'm too lazy to check the previous one).
He was thinking about doing something or other with his campaign about a silver mage and a portrait, just used the post and a PM to bring his attention to this thread.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Irrevenant: Your edit helped a lot. I gave me a kick to continue with the Silver Mage... :)
Anything to tweak and fix?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Heh, I just noticed your avatar. Neat. :)
Eternal wrote:Irrevenant: Your edit helped a lot. I gave me a kick to continue with the Silver Mage... :)
I'm glad; it was so close to finished anyway.
Anything to tweak and fix?
Just that bit I circled (which is an error that I introduced). It really does leap out at the eye in comparison to the rest of the cloak, so I assume I stuffed up the shading somehow.

Maybe a little shading on the left hand - it looks a little stark in comparison to everything else.

But essentially, as far as I can tell, it's done. I guess you'll just have to create a new artwork to wow us all with. :)