Wesnoth 1.1.2

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yogibear
Retired Developer

Windows binaries available

Post by Yogibear »

Ladies and gentlemen, here they are, the long awaited, gorgeous... blah, blah

oops, sorry, enough talking :D

Windows binaries: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wesn ... e?download

Oh, and a nice surprise this time was not having a dozen threads asking where the hell the windows binaries are :) . As an optimist i assume that people learned from last time experiences and that it is not because i am faster than usual :P

Reading this thread i think i will give a try to "The ultimate guide to compiling wesnoth on windows". After i did those other hundred things on my todo list :? ....

Have fun :)
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Swordy

Post by Swordy »

may i ask why ghost's wail frame is 1 milisecond only?

Code: Select all

[frame]
				sound=wail-sml.wav
				begin=-200
				end=-199
				image="units/undead/ghost-attack1.png"
			[/frame]

edit:
... after i checked/experimented a number of units... many have this 1 milisecond frame... so the attack sounds can't be heard :/

edit:
err... okay so i tried sword with 1 milisecond frame... and it worked. the sword's sound can be heard. so the problem here is not with the '1 milisecond frame'. not just wail... many other attack sounds can't be heard too :/
Last edited by Swordy on March 23rd, 2006, 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
smchronos

Post by smchronos »

Cool Yogi. I've noticed one thing right off the bat. In the multiplayer screen, where it lists all of the games up and all of the players on the server, there seems to be a bug. At least for me anyway. This bug is that when someone leaves a game, they do not show up as a white name (not playing) but remain as a red name (playing) with the game's name next to them. Any insight?
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

For those of you concerned with the game size:

On behalf of the music dept, I'll say, I'm sorry for how much size we're adding to the game. If you like, we can make smaller files (which equals lower sound quality. We're already pulling half quality on these files).

In the future, we plan to continue adding more and more music to the library. This will obviously increase the program size even more.

So, perhaps the programmers would like to develop a system which allows the separate download of additional sound/music (and other files) which can be somehow added by end users to the Wesnoth game (preferably with a "Wizard" type program that does all the work for you). These files would be parts of the game that are not essential, but are recommended for those who have the bandwidth.

For example, Jeremy Soule set up DirectSong, which is a website that offers expansion music for Guild Wars.

Should we adopt a feature like this into Wesnoth for those who would prefer to do multiple smaller downloads?

--Timothy
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

I'll remove Python Framework for the next build. The included framework is probably unused anyway :-/
lwa
Inactive Developer

Post by lwa »

turin wrote:Would it not be possible to have translations downloaded separately, and you only have to download your language?
I'm not sure it worth the pain. Time to navigate into the huge page containing the language list, download and install the package is equal to download the full set with extra languages.

Edit: Furthermore the page should be translated in each language. If the player needs another language than english, it may be because he don't know it.
Last edited by lwa on March 23rd, 2006, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

TimothyP wrote:Should we adopt a feature like this into Wesnoth for those who would prefer to do multiple smaller downloads?
For myself I would say yes.

As for quality - I wouldn't argue for lower quality for myself but suspect that a higher level of compression than standard music files is acceptable. The music, while nice, is not the focus of your attention while playing; whereas with normal music for MP3 players or whatever, you are actively listening to the music (even if it is in noisy environments which makes lower quality than in a home stereo environment acceptable).
sparr

Post by sparr »

I am particularly displeased with one "fix" in this version. Many of my main characters have accumulated a lot of experience with no AMLA due to a bug in 1.1.1. Now I get 1.1.2 and they get ONE AMLA for all of it? That sucks. My Delfador in HttT was at 422/80, thats worth at least three AMLAs, maybe four.

This is the first time I have seriously considered "cheating" by editing the save game file.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

sparr wrote:Now I get 1.1.2 and they get ONE AMLA for all of it?
That is the way leveling works. If you had a level 1,000 uberunit that gave 1,000,000 credits you would only benefit from the exp that brings you to the next level. The rest is lost. That is wanted. This way you have to think about which unit to use for a kill. Should I use the unit that only needs 2XP and lose 6XP when killing that unit? or should I use the one that exacly needs 8XP but is not this sure to kill it?
Things like this are one element of the game. And don't forget that there was no AMLA some time ago. And some devs still think it is not needed... You should maybe better try to level some other units.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

TimothyP wrote:Should we adopt a feature like this into Wesnoth for those who would prefer to do multiple smaller downloads?
--Timothy
No, the official release from the Wesnoth dev team is only the source code release and it should include everything that is mainline. Reducing quality of fx the music is a very bad way to go also. This is free software, anyone is free to package Wesnoth anyway they like as long as they comply with the GPL. Not happy about it, then package it differently yourself or get someone else to do it, don't advocate crippling the official release for everyone else.
lwa wrote:I'll remove Python Framework for the next build. The included framework is probably unused anyway :-/
I'm pretty sure you only need the runtime.
sparr

Post by sparr »

ivanovic wrote:
sparr wrote:Now I get 1.1.2 and they get ONE AMLA for all of it?
...That is wanted. This way you have to think about which unit to use for a kill. Should I use the unit that only needs 2XP and lose 6XP when killing that unit? or should I use the one that exacly needs 8XP but is not this sure to kill it? ...
That has nothing to do with it. I am not talking about losing part of the exp from one kill. I am talking about losing ALL the exp I gained from over 100 kills. Yes, I understand that the same rule governs both, but an exception should have been made to resolve the bug from 1.1.1.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

frame wrote:No, the official release from the Wesnoth dev team is only the source code release and it should include everything that is mainline. Reducing quality of fx the music is a very bad way to go also. This is free software, anyone is free to package Wesnoth anyway they like as long as they comply with the GPL. Not happy about it, then package it differently yourself or get someone else to do it, don't advocate crippling the official release for everyone else.
I don't think anyone is advocating that the full release be crippled. Merely that an option be provided for people who are bandwidth limited. As I understand it some tweaking of the setup would be required to make this work smoothly - that does not amount to crippling the program.

Alternatively, consider this my request for someone else to do it.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Skippy wrote: I don't think anyone is advocating that the full release be crippled. Merely that an option be provided for people who are bandwidth limited. As I understand it some tweaking of the setup would be required to make this work smoothly - that does not amount to crippling the program.

Alternatively, consider this my request for someone else to do it.
And my point was that the option is already there. The Wesnoth Dev team only releases the source tarball. Thats the only "official" release there is. The rest are provided by volunteers (which can involve people from the dev team). There is no "option" that is missing. If you for some reason can't do it yourself you need to provide someone else with the proper incentives to do it for you. This is a packaging issue, not something that needs an ingame mechanism.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

frame wrote:There is no "option" that is missing.
Great! Where may I obtain the music files separately to augment my (hypothetical) lite download?
JW

Post by JW »

sparr wrote: That has nothing to do with it. I am not talking about losing part of the exp from one kill. I am talking about losing ALL the exp I gained from over 100 kills. Yes, I understand that the same rule governs both, but an exception should have been made to resolve the bug from 1.1.1.
I think:
1) These comments should be split, and
2) You shouldn't be so stressed over losing 9 max hp.