New idea: including update button in the wesnoth main page

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Woodini

New idea: including update button in the wesnoth main page

Post by Woodini »

Hi,
Everythink is in the subject... Isn't it possible to including an option for update directly the game? It could be simply to upgrade the game, and win a lot of time if nobody has to compile code source...
I'm not able to compile code source and very impatient to test the 1.1.2!
Sorry for my english :P
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: New idea: including update button in the wesnoth main pa

Post by Soliton »

Woodini wrote:Isn't it possible to including an option for update directly the game? It could be simply to upgrade the game, and win a lot of time if nobody has to compile code source...
When you're ready to put more than 10 seconds of thought into this and come up with a detailed solution come back here and present it.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Woodini

Post by Woodini »

ok, you're right, but it's not a question of time, i have no idea about programmation...
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Re: New idea: including update button in the wesnoth main pa

Post by Ranger M »

Woodini wrote:Hi,
Everythink is in the subject... Isn't it possible to including an option for update directly the game? It could be simply to upgrade the game, and win a lot of time if nobody has to compile code source...
I'm not able to compile code source and very impatient to test the 1.1.2!
Sorry for my english :P
is this actually possible, because i thought that the whole reason for having to compile was because there needed to be different versions for different OSs, and because some of the source would need converting from source to something readable for the computer.

at least that was my impression, but I'm not a programmer...
elanthis

Post by elanthis »

Firefox has such a feature and it runs on just as many OSes as Wesnoth does.

It's still somewhat complex, though.

For example, if you install the game as 'root' on a UNIX machine, you won't be able to update it from within the game as a user. (But that's easy to detect and the update button can just be disabled at run-time.)

Essentially, from a very high-level overview, you need:

(1) The game to check a website/update-server to see if a new version is available for the platform currently in use (i.e, linux amd64)
(2) Show the "New Version 1.1.2 Available" button somewhere in the interface
(3) When the user clicks the button, download a ZIP (or whatever format the devs like best) file containing the new version
(3a) Unpack the ZIP file over the existing game
(4) Restart the game automatically

It's not at all that complex; it just requires a lot of boring code to be written to handle all the details.
scott

Post by scott »

It sounds like the original poster is proposing an in-game autoupdate feature as a remedy to the lag between the release point and when he can play again. This is complete nonsense. If there were something to auto-update, then the download would be available!

As a stand-alone idea, it's ok. I have plenty of programs that notify me a new version is available. I don't think it's necessary in our case - the multiplayer server very effectively performs the same function.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Well I took it, in my immediate like 2 second read of it that it would update all downloaded campaigns and eras, which would be cool.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth