Re-organizing the WML reference in wiki

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kess

Post by Kess »

Some thoughts...

As far as I could grasp these are the main stylesheets (css) used: Perhaps you could base the menu template on elements these modify? (I have not taken a look myself, as I always do something wrong when it comes to stuff like this.)

If this post was at least somewhat helping it's great, otherwise, just skip it! ^^
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

zookeeper wrote:The CSS must definitely be tweaked to accommodate that side menu, since there's plenty of empty margin on the right where to position it to.
Viliam wrote:Just do it, it's a wiki ;-)
Template:WML Tags
I have been willing to do something like this for a long time (since the migration actually), but I simply don't have as much time as I would like for the wiki nowadays.

Templates are a good way to implement this, and I wouldn't mind a few edits to the css style as long as it doesn't look terribly bad - your patches are welcome. And just tell me if you need something else.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I edited the Template:WML Tags to make the side menu go into the right margin. Looks good to me, any comments? It doesn't scale well, but that's mostly because the original CSS wasn't designed with something like this in mind.
JW

Post by JW »

I like the menu, but it covers up some of the options where it is currently placed. I tried it at 185 from the top instead of 85 and it looked a lot better. I wouldn't feel comfortable editting what you guys are working on though, especially since I am unfamiliar with the other templates that were discussed earlier.
scott

Post by scott »

zookeeper wrote:I edited the Template:WML Tags to make the side menu go into the right margin. Looks good to me, any comments? It doesn't scale well, but that's mostly because the original CSS wasn't designed with something like this in mind.
Ack! It covers up text in monobook, since there is no margin in that style.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

zookeeper, thanks a lot!

The problem is that absolute-positioned menu covers the menu at bottom of page. In long enough pages this will not be a problem -- and if it were wider, it would be shorter. Better solution could to add javascript for "hide/show" (just like there is "toggleToc()" for showing and hiding TOC); so if the side menu covers the bottom menu, just hide it.

Kess, I agree with your idea, but I do not wish to study those stylesheets now -- if someone else would do this, that would be great. I tried to look at wikipedia to see what there template authors use when they use right-aligned menu. But it is usually just a "table" with "float: right".
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

8) ...tired, but very happy.

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CampaignWML
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Wow, that must have taken a lot of work. Thanks a lot, it will be so much easier to find info now :D .

Now I just need to use it to finish my campaign (*kicks self in head for doing too much art and too little campaign making*)
JW

Post by JW »

Very nice. This will be a handy reference.
Placid

Schemed

Post by Placid »

I made changes to the template without seeing this discussion.

As you can see, the table now wraps correctly at the side and bottom and I added a colour scheme to make it blend better with the standard style sheet. I didn't check it out with monobook since that isn't the default.

There is an edit button at the top of the menu so it is easy to make changes from any page. I can't comment on the structure of the WML pages but at least there is a nice navigation view.

I've added the side menu to every page referenced in the menu.

Cheers
Viliam
Translator

Re: Schemed

Post by Viliam »

Placid wrote:As you can see, the table now wraps correctly at the side and bottom and I added a colour scheme to make it blend better with the standard style sheet.
It looks very... professional.
Placid wrote:There is an edit button at the top of the menu so it is easy to make changes from any page.
Very useful!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thread resurrection...

After using the new system for a few months, I've come to the conclusion that:

* It's awesome to have this sidebar. ;)

* Contrary to what I posted earlier, I now think it would work better with a page per tag. Right now, it is very strange how, for example, clicking on a tag in the sidebar often just directs you to the "Direct Actions WML" page.

* I have neither the time nor skill to make this change.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

I guess the problem with "Direct Actions WML" page is more related to how the page is organized than whether there is one tag per page or more.

If the direct actions were clearly separated, and if the click on e.g. "capture_village" would lead to the subsection of the page, not to its top (just as e.g. "binary_path" works now), it would be better.

I am pretty sure that "time" and "illuminated_time" tags should be described on the same page. ;-) Funny, my opinions have also become contrary to what I wrote before.

Thanks for reviving this thread... I already forgot it did exist. ;-) Currently I do not work on my own scenarios, but I can dig through the official ones, and extract some code examples for the pages; maybe re-organizing them a bit.