Princess of Wesnoth -.-

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zweep

Princess of Wesnoth -.-

Post by Zweep »

I'm a noob. Ive been playing for about two weeks and I'm stuck on Princess of Wesnoth on httt. li'whatshername gets like 5 more units per turn, and 3 or 4 more with no cost on turns 5 and 10, so I'm lucky if I hit her once. That "take all the villages" strategy doesn't work, as she gets units free on 5 and 10. I just have a siren and a ton of lvl 1's. I'd be much appreciated if anyone gave me any tips, lol.
Zweep

Post by Zweep »

Well, I'll be trying to beat it and checking back once in a while.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Difficulty?
Game Version?

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/HeirToTheTh ... of_Wesnoth
Good place to start looking.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

The most likely problem seems like a lack of higher level units. The remedy for that is, unfortunately, to go back to an earlier save and concentrate on levelling up units.

Failing that you would need to pick your battles carefully (because the princess has generally higher quality units than your level 1 units). This amounts to picking your terrain carefully: fight them from the woods or from the river bank while they are in the river trying to cross. In short, wait for them to come to you, weather the storm, and then advance (hopefully with newly leveled units).

(But only take my word for it absent other better suggestions - I'm new around here too.)
scott

Post by scott »

It would be quite a task to beat this level with only level 1's. You really need something that can absorb some damage since you will be fighting a lot of L2 units (swordsmen, Lieutenants, etc.).

The cavaliers are easy to take out with enough horsemen on the top of the map.

If you can make it across the river without getting killed, I would say you should send as many elves (fighters, shamans, and archers) as you can into the forest at the far right of the map.

Send your mages, some elves, some shamans, and Konrad up the center with Delfador and hold the bridge area. Use the elves as cannon fodder.

The biggest newbie mistake is to be hasty. She doesn't really get 5 new units per turn. Near the end she can barely recruit 1. If you are truly patient you can take good defensive positions and wear her down. If you are able to take out all her L2 units (the swordsmen and the Lieutenants she gets for free), you should be home free.

Again, I think it would be hard for anyone to win with just L1 units. You may need to go back to an earlier scenario and take more care to level up more units. By that time you should have a handful of L2 units available to you.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Zweep

Post by Zweep »

Thanks, Skippy, I'll try that now. Smokem, it's the one that just came out (1.1 or something) and difficulty is easy rofl :oops:
Mycroft

Post by Mycroft »

i had quite a dilemma in this one on medium:
1.)
if i send to many units far right, i am lacking power at the central bridge while her mainforce still does a massacre to anything i put in those woods
2.)
if i send to few units there, her mainforce comes to the central bridge and i start loosing units there (good units mind you)

how i solved it:
- 2 scouts take the villages far right rather early but don't stay and fight the cavalry but play 'catch me if you can' while the main force (2 Elven Heros, 1 Sharpshooter, 1 druid, Kaled (sp?) positions on the other side of the river getting easy kills on anything that moves into the water
- 2 knights, 1 Horseman, Delfaldor, 1 Thief, 1 White Mage, 1 Marshal, 1 Archer rush to the centre bridge, with one of the knights and the horseman taking the top villages and gambling with the enemy cavalry there, getting support from Delfaldor, the Archer and the Assassin when the enemy thinks he can have the woods.

holding those positions until about round 11 when my last units have reached the front (incl. the 2 merman that took care of the southern villages) i managed to defeat her smoothly on the 3rd replay
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Zweep wrote:Thanks, Skippy, I'll try that now. Smokem, it's the one that just came out (1.1 or something) and difficulty is easy rofl :oops:
Welcome to Wesnoth!
To solve this, I too would suggest going back and working at leveling up more troops.
Also, fortify the bridge with the town, and mermen in the river--its easy to lure the AI into attacking badly by doing this. Keep elves in the woods, though I'd suggest using the archers to kill cavalry, and horsemen to pick off wounded things.

Have fun!!

And to warn you now, some forum members would appreciate it if you dropped the senseless IM abbreviations at the end of your sentances, especially if they don't actually convey your mood (laughing hard and being ashamed, for example, can not mix) :)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

I found that sending some horsemen-line units up to the far northwest generally lured the bulk of the cavalry force, where it could be easily wiped out. You do need to wait for the right moment to strike.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
jaboua

Post by jaboua »

I recalled & sent some higher level units over to their side, and defeated her with delfador, an elvish ranger, a lancer and 2 knights iirc.
Gurnard

Post by Gurnard »

Another newbie here, just come belly-up when it comes to beating the princess. This is the first level I've had trouble with (I lie, Siege of Elensefar took a fair few goes. The winning tactics were obvious, it just took a bit of save/load grinding to work out how to pull it off). I just can't get anywhere with this mission. No possible way around it pops up as being particularly obvious. If anyone could lend a hand, here's what I've got to play with.
Level 3:
Elvish Outrider
Elvish Sharpshooter
Paladin
Level 2:
Elvish Druid
2 Elvish Heroes
Elvish Marksman
2 Merman Warriors

282 gold, version 1.0.2
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

scott wrote:It would be quite a task to beat this level with only level 1's. You really need something that can absorb some damage since you will be fighting a lot of L2 units (swordsmen, Lieutenants, etc.).
What's this? Except for No Losses, I've never played the Princess without a ton of level 1s to take all that damage. With the ogres, swordsmen, and lieutenants, and a third of the time being Day, you need lots of level 1 units to eat damage and fill in your Zone of Control so your better units don't get killed.

Because of the danger and the level 2 enemies, in fact, I often use very few higher level units in order to feed all that XP to those who need it. It's still not late in the campaign yet where getting more than a few to level 3 is so important.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Don't forget your Mermen! They can grab lots of villages, and they can also slow down and distract enemies in the SE part of the map.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
skibum_ak

Post by skibum_ak »

i know im a newb at this but i tried several techniques that didnt work, got fed up, bumrushed with horses and got her by turn 5 or 6 3 keeps full of fresh horsemen 1st along the road, secondwest across the river then up 3rd along the road, use youre first ones and some second to trap her forces then attack with the 3rd and 2nd leftovers, by the time you get there she only fills up two at a time and all you need is two horesmen one if your lucky, as its day plus i got a knight out of it and about 600 gold for early finish key is to use zoc to trap her and split your forces, also dont engage to deep with your first squad of horses or her forces will all be too close to the keep you need about 400 gold to pull this off (played on easy)
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
scott wrote:It would be quite a task to beat this level with only level 1's. You really need something that can absorb some damage since you will be fighting a lot of L2 units (swordsmen, Lieutenants, etc.).
What's this? Except for No Losses, I've never played the Princess without a ton of level 1s to take all that damage. With the ogres, swordsmen, and lieutenants, and a third of the time being Day, you need lots of level 1 units to eat damage and fill in your Zone of Control so your better units don't get killed.

Because of the danger and the level 2 enemies, in fact, I often use very few higher level units in order to feed all that XP to those who need it. It's still not late in the campaign yet where getting more than a few to level 3 is so important.
I disagree, I tackled this last night on Medium with a small army of level three units, and the odd level two. I may have had one level one unit floating about somewhere, but nothing worth mentioning. I only lost a couple of units, one of them level three (AI hit with every attack, damnit).

I think that by this point it's important to have level several units, and if you haven't been leveling then even if you can beat this level, I suspect you're going to hit trouble soon after.

The campaign, as I see it, is all about leveling as many units as you can, while trying to retain a respectable amount of gold.