What seperates the best players from the newbies?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Arrrgh! All the threads I post in die or never get responded to! :evil:
toms

Post by toms »

Flametrooper wrote:Arrrgh! All the threads I post in die or never get responded to! :evil:
One person must be the last poster before it goes off-topic. But sometimes good topics seem to be dead and rise again after some months.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Flametrooper wrote:For playing against the AI(usually in campaigns) I like to set up a distraction force of scouts and send them reaping mass amounts of villages somewhere, which greatly distracts the AI, and then rush the leader with my best units. I put the unit I want to advance 1 wave behind the best units that are rushing the leader, so that when the good units nealry kill everyhting, the stuff I am leveling up can come in and take the kill. This tactic seems to work great on campaigns, but not so well on multiplayer.

Does this make me newbie, good, or somewhere in the middle?
It makes you being good at playing against the AI. On multiplayer however, things are different. Playing a (decent or better) human, you have to take into consideration that he understands what you are doing. So if you send two scouts for distraction, he won't send a dozen units after them. He will send just enough units do deal with those scouts. He will also have a careful look at your units being close to leveling. And he will concentrate on preventing that much better than the AI.

Besides, on multiplayer maps, every player has "his" villages and it is almost impossible to snatch them without fighting if both players know what they are doing. The maps are designed to prevent such "surprises".
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
tadpol

Post by tadpol »

I'm a bit of a newb (not as new as my forum info indicates) But I do win sometimes, and have noticed a few things both winning and losing.

It's all about risks, taking good ones, and offering bad ones to your opponate. Like Sapient said, manipulating your opponate is a big part of winning. I see this game as easier to lose than win, it comes down to who does the most stupidest thing. Mistakes decide the outcome of most of the games I've played,if the player does not think the move is a mistake at the time, it's just a mistake in thinking. When you've seen (or preformed) a certain mistake enough times you start avoiding it. This is what I think makes a good player.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

tadpol wrote:...it comes down to who does the most stupidest thing. Mistakes decide the outcome of most of the games I've played,if the player does not think the move is a mistake at the time, it's just a mistake in thinking. When you've seen (or preformed) a certain mistake enough times you start avoiding it. This is what I think makes a good player.
To quote Georges Clemenceau (a WWI leader of France) , "War is a series of catastrophes which result in victory."

Oh, and Napoleon Bonaparte: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P
Ansbach

Post by Ansbach »

toms wrote: One person must be the last poster before it goes off-topic. But sometimes good topics seem to be dead and rise again after some months.
You mean, like this? :wink:

This thread should be cleaned up and sticky-ed!
sagacity

Post by sagacity »

I've always thought of strategy as your plan to accomplish the goal - which is accomplished by applying it through various tactics. Kinda like building a house. Your strategy is to build the foundation 1st. The erect the frame. Install the plumming, then wiring. Set the flooring, and walls and then place the roof. [NOTE: I don't know if this is how a house is built - I'm using this as an example]

This would be accomplished tactically by setting your Masons in to set the foundation, followed by your carpenters to erect the frame - supported by construction machines. Follow that with the plummers, again supported by construction folks, and electricians (that very well may be able to work at the same time...if your planning was good :D). Bring your carpenters back to finish the floors. Add some drywallers for walls, and roofers to shore up the top.

Even a game that is played at the tactical level, still needs a strategy to be successful. Otherwise you're just responding to your current threat; which I'm sure a good player will notice, and take advantage of. This is probably what makes MP so different than Campaign - the AI seems to be fairly tactically sound, but has very little strategy.

If you only play the tactics, you're playing very much like the computer, I would guess.

I'm a newb to Wesnoth, but have played war games for as long as I can remember, so I'm figuring the concepts of strategy and tactics apply no matter what the game.

Someone mentioned Chess as a strategy game. I've played Chess for many years. It is a strategy game; but it too is played tactically. Moving your Knight up that forces the opponent to choose between 2 pieces is a tactic. But, if that is combined with the piece you moved 3 moves ago, that forces the player to move the piece you want, so you can move another piece that was placed 5 moves ago into victory - that's a strategy.

That's my ramble on this old thread :D
Disto

Post by Disto »

sagacity wrote:I've always thought of strategy as your plan to accomplish the goal - which is accomplished by applying it through various tactics. Kinda like building a house. Your strategy is to build the foundation 1st. The erect the frame. Install the plumming, then wiring. Set the flooring, and walls and then place the roof. [NOTE: I don't know if this is how a house is built - I'm using this as an example]

This would be accomplished tactically by setting your Masons in to set the foundation, followed by your carpenters to erect the frame - supported by construction machines. Follow that with the plummers, again supported by construction folks, and electricians (that very well may be able to work at the same time...if your planning was good :D). Bring your carpenters back to finish the floors. Add some drywallers for walls, and roofers to shore up the top.

Even a game that is played at the tactical level, still needs a strategy to be successful. Otherwise you're just responding to your current threat; which I'm sure a good player will notice, and take advantage of. This is probably what makes MP so different than Campaign - the AI seems to be fairly tactically sound, but has very little strategy.

If you only play the tactics, you're playing very much like the computer, I would guess.

I'm a newb to Wesnoth, but have played war games for as long as I can remember, so I'm figuring the concepts of strategy and tactics apply no matter what the game.

Someone mentioned Chess as a strategy game. I've played Chess for many years. It is a strategy game; but it too is played tactically. Moving your Knight up that forces the opponent to choose between 2 pieces is a tactic. But, if that is combined with the piece you moved 3 moves ago, that forces the player to move the piece you want, so you can move another piece that was placed 5 moves ago into victory - that's a strategy.

Roof goes on after the Frame, and then the walls, and then the plumbing and electrics. :wink:
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
sagacity

Post by sagacity »

Disto wrote:
sagacity wrote:I've always thought of strategy as your plan to accomplish the goal - which is accomplished by applying it through various tactics. Kinda like building a house. Your strategy is to build the foundation 1st. The erect the frame. Install the plumming, then wiring. Set the flooring, and walls and then place the roof. [NOTE: I don't know if this is how a house is built - I'm using this as an example]

Roof goes on after the Frame, and then the walls, and then the plumbing and electrics. :wink:
HA! No wonder we lost so many electricians when it rained :D