"Reload" - attack type

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Alks

"Reload" - attack type

Post by Alks »

Briefly: is it possible to encode in WML attacks that deal extensive damage, but after delivering attack they are unusable in next turn?

Example: some dragonstick variation that would deal much more damage than ordinary one, but would require some time to reload (one turn)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, it is possible in WML, but not normally. (The WML would do something with newturn events, and setting the unit's attack to 0-0...)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, you could do this in WML. It'd be a little bit complex, but quite doable. Basically what you need to do is to store the turn number somewhere in the attacking unit's unit variables, and in new turn or side turn events go through all the units that have the ability and check how the current turn number corresponds with the turn on which they last fired their weapon. Then you can either disable or enable the attack by some means (there are ways to do this, ask if you can't find any).
Alks

Post by Alks »

Good that is possible. I don't have idea, how to do it, but let me think it over based on your tips. If I get stuck, I'll take a look here(possibly some other people would be interested too). It would finally make bows and crossbows distinctive
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It would be a bit funny, though, to have to reload the weapon for 8 hours before being able to fire again...
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I was thinking the same thing, zookeeper. Though, I guess alks could always change the night/day cycle for his campaign to shorten the real-time for each turn. But, even if he made daytime be something like 6 turns, that would still be at least several hours before each reload.
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

zookeeper wrote:It would be a bit funny, though, to have to reload the weapon for 8 hours before being able to fire again...
It's a bit funny that a spear-wound can be completely healed within 8 hours using only the resources of a rural peasant village. Wesnoth time is stretchy.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

In 1.1.2 you willl be able to change the attack/defense weight of the attack, so you can disable it.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Right now that you need much time to reload thunderstick is represented by only one shoot with it(18-1), i don't see why you would need to make unit shoot even more rarely.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I think this ability will be way overpowered. let's say the reloading thunderstick is (36-1) "reload". you could easily abuse this by making two waves of reloading units, so while the wave that just attacked is in its "reload turn" the second wave will jump ahead and attack. next turn, while the wave that just attacked is reloading, the now reloaded wave will jump ahead, and so on and so on. The only solution to this would be make the unit cost a lot of gold, but this would then make the strategy hit-and-run, even if you defend the reloading unit with another party.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Dragon Master wrote:I think this ability will be way overpowered. let's say the reloading thunderstick is (36-1) "reload". you could easily abuse this by making two waves of reloading units, so while the wave that just attacked is in its "reload turn" the second wave will jump ahead and attack. next turn, while the wave that just attacked is reloading, the now reloaded wave will jump ahead, and so on and so on. The only solution to this would be make the unit cost a lot of gold, but this would then make the strategy hit-and-run, even if you defend the reloading unit with another party.
Abillities are only overpowered when the unit is made in such a manner that it overpowers the abillity.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Abillities are only overpowered when the unit is made in such a manner that it overpowers the abillity.
:?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

For questions like this where there's (apparently) no intent that the idea should be officially accepted, it's probably better to take the question to the WML forum in the first instance.

OTOH, if you want to seek input re: whether it's balanced etc., this is probably the place. (And in which case, you should probably say so in your post).

On which topic:
Dragonmaster wrote:I think this ability will be way overpowered. let's say the reloading thunderstick is (36-1) "reload". you could easily abuse this by making two waves of reloading units, so while the wave that just attacked is in its "reload turn" the second wave will jump ahead and attack.
It's arguable whether it counts as "abuse". Surely if you have twice as many, half of which attack at a timedealing double damage, then it's bringing twice theamount of power per turn to bear as the status quo, and costing double to do it?
Last edited by irrevenant on March 11th, 2006, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Abillities are only overpowered when the unit is made in such a manner that it overpowers the abillity.
Ha, ha - sounds like some zen truth, Neo. ;-)
It's arguable whether it counts as "abuse". Surely if you have twice as many, half of which attack at a timedealing double damage, then it's bringing twice theamount of power per turn to bear as the status quo, and costing double to do it?
Good point. So e.g. (I speak of the current ones) 8 thunderers are overpowered because you can put 4 in the front line and 4 behid and change between them back and forth? ;-) Applies to any given unit actually...

If they (now I'm speaking of the new "pseudo-thunderers") didn't have the "reload times" then they'd be able to shoot all at once for twice the power - THAT'D be overpowered. ;-)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
Alks

Post by Alks »

Tomsik wrote:Right now that you need much time to reload thunderstick is represented by only one shoot with it(18-1), i don't see why you would need to make unit shoot even more rarely.
It was just an example. All I was aiming at was to get another concept, that would make some units tactically distinctive.