New animations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Well if the bat is in free-fall, wouldn't his wings drag behind him at full length? I suppose in being so limp against the wind, they do appear rigid... but considering the downward motion...

Imagine if you had a rock with pieces of paper attached to it. And you dropped the rock....
Hell even simpler: grab a roll of toilet paper, let the end hang out a bit, and drop it. Paper looks pretty straight/flat/even rigid as it's falling to me.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I think that the problem is that you need one more frame after the last one (in addition to one before it) showing the wings crumpling and not being stiff...

oh, and the sinking sea serpent looks good!
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Extra crumply in the last frame, just for you... Fool. :)
With shadow. If there are no more suggestions, the next upload will be the 7 individual frames in png format.
Oh and ignore the white border, it's only there as a guide to keep the image aligned properly for this animation.

Edit: That's a good idea on the serpent to add what it looks like on the hex... made me realize the bat's wings are going to spill over into other hexes a little... is that a problem?
Attachments
BatDeathMK3.gif
BatDeathMK3.gif (7.69 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
Last edited by SmokemJags on March 3rd, 2006, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

That latest sea-serpent death animation looks quite nice. A certain improvement over what was there before.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Staying in the same hex... falling... up?
Last edited by SmokemJags on March 3rd, 2006, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

looks odd the first few times, but starts to make sense after a while.

However you wouldn't see this that often in game, and it wouldn't make sense because of that, so I think you should stick with the normal one.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

By normal, you mean the version that spills out of the hex? If that's acceptable, I'll upload it like that.
If it isn't... I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. His wingspan is just too long to fit anywhere except the middle of the hex.
Plus it loses the forward momentum if it isn't allowed to spill out of the hex. Looks to unnatural to fall straight down.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

SmokemJags wrote:By normal, you mean the version that spills out of the hex? If that's acceptable, I'll upload it like that.
If it isn't... I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. His wingspan is just too long to fit anywhere except the middle of the hex.
Plus it loses the forward momentum if it isn't allowed to spill out of the hex. Looks to unnatural to fall straight down.
animations can extend beyond the hex edges. Only standing frames are limited to fit inside the hex.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

I will admit does look better crumpled though, doesn't it?

Yay, I R contributor!
Eventually I'll re-earn that forum regular title... :)
Attachments
Undead Bat Death 7 Frames.zip
(17.51 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

zipped, all yours.
Attachments
sea-serpent-death.ZIP
(43.74 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

Ankka wrote:I like the way he aims with just one eye in the animation, it looks cool.
Aiming with one eye should be reserved for low-level units and/or for units that mostly are focused on melee but have a ranged attack "also". It's not really good technique, as you have better depth perception with both eyes open. So one-eye aiming is fine on an orcish archer, but IMO would not belong on an Elvish Sharpshooter, for instance.
wolfy

Post by wolfy »

jonadab wrote:
Ankka wrote:I like the way he aims with just one eye in the animation, it looks cool.
Aiming with one eye should be reserved for low-level units and/or for units that mostly are focused on melee but have a ranged attack "also". It's not really good technique, as you have better depth perception with both eyes open. So one-eye aiming is fine on an orcish archer, but IMO would not belong on an Elvish Sharpshooter, for instance.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Redeth, about the sea serpent...

it's usually in water so it's supposed to be partly submerged...

I don't know if your animation copes well with that
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
scott

Post by scott »

SmokemJags wrote:I will admit does look better crumpled though, doesn't it?
You should make it bounce a little when it hits the ground.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Boa... :P :P :P :P i enter here from time to time... and I have to say that Wesnoth gets cooler and cooler...

Those death animations are so $"%·&·" cool :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Spam deleted. Shame!
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D