EI - Evacuation: Frustration level critical.

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zhukov
Art Contributor

EI - Evacuation: Frustration level critical.

Post by Zhukov »

Well, I guess the thread's title says it all.
I am up to Evacuation on Eastern Invasion. Apparently I will lose all units that I don't recall. As I have only 100 gold that means I can only take five units with me.
  • As it is my recall list is pretty sad:
    - 1x Iron Mauler
    - 1x Royal Guard
    - 1x Silver Mage
    - 2x Dragoon
    - 1x Knight
    - 2x Ogre
    - 1x Pikeman
    - 4x Shock Trooper (yes, I like my thumpers :))
    - 1x Swordsman
    - 2x White Mage
    - a couple of level 1's (cavaly and young ogre)
The conditions of Evacuation mean I will lose 13 leveled units, without them actually fighting! Also in the previous level (captured) there is no way to stop your gold trickling away, as you waste much time slogging through caves and get your entire recall list recalled for you.
I hate to whine but I think this combination simply isn't fair to the player. It robs you of your leveled units no matter how well you play or even what luck you get.

I can think of three possible ways to address this (percieved) problem:

1. In Captured, change the mechanics so that you don't have to pay upkeep (after all, in that situation your men are fighting for themselves as much as you). This way you should still have a decent amount of gold with which to save more units in Evacuation.
2. In Evacuation allow units that dont get recalled to 'survive' (be recallable in the next level).
3. In Evacuation, auto-recall some units for free. (Like in the HttT levels Muff-Malals Peninsula, or Northern Winter)

On the other hand, if there is some good reason why this situation is allowed, please explain it and I shall promtly shut up.

Thank you :D.
Last edited by Zhukov on March 22nd, 2006, 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Bloody hell, come on people. 28 views and no replies?
im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

In captured there is a city with about 20 villages near all your recalls, capture those then wait for turns to run out, with your recall list you should be able to kill the enemy leader with realtive ease, that way you can have a lot more money to recall with.
Ssshh! I'm secretly male.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If I knew how to turn off upkeep in Captured, I would. But I don't, so I just stuck on some villages and tried to make it balanced.

If you only have 100 gold at the start of Evacuation... perhaps you need to replay Captured?

In any case, I'll be looking to rebalance EI sometime in the (perhaps not so) near future.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

You know, you could just store the gold when the scenario starts, and restore it at the end.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

joshudson wrote:You know, you could just store the gold when the scenario starts, and restore it at the end.
Indeed, I do know this. But I haven't taken the time to do it yet, and in any case I don't think its the right thing to do - it will make the gold you get from the orcish villages worthless.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Mangudai

Post by Mangudai »

There is another alternative to evacuating. Kill all the enemy leaders. I think this even preserves troops on the recall list.
Tmoiy

Post by Tmoiy »

Mangudai wrote:There is another alternative to evacuating. Kill all the enemy leaders. I think this even preserves troops on the recall list.
Unfortunately, recent tweaking has made this harder to do than ever. The developers want you to run away.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

turin wrote:If I knew how to turn off upkeep in Captured, I would. But I don't, so I just stuck on some villages and tried to make it balanced..
Something like :

Code: Select all

[object]
  silent=yes
  duration=level
  [filter]
   <some filter to select the unit>
  [/filter]
  [effect]
    apply_to=loyal
  [/effect]
[/object]
Will turn off the upkeep of the targeted unit for the entire scenario only.
Underdog

Post by Underdog »

Could someone tell me how to blow up the bridge at this scenario?

Here a screen of my situation, everyone made it to cross the bridge, except the red magicien who I met at the begin of this scenario. (I hope that won't be a problem)

toms

Post by toms »

No, it is a problem because the red mage has to be moved to the signpost to blow the bridge up. :o
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Underdog

Post by Underdog »

So that means that I have to do this scenario again? :shock:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Underdog wrote:So that means that I have to do this scenario again? :shock:
Well, it looks like you're in a prime position to hack the stupid orcs on the bridge to pieces. And then to go kill the leaders.

If not for that stupid time limit, anyway... :|
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I found out why I was having such trouble with Evacuation. It's something fishy in Captured.

There is something weird with the early-finish bonus in the previous level.
I played Captured again and finished at turn 25. When I finished the level I had 145 gold. However despite finishing 15 turns early, I got no early-finish gold bonus, none at all. :evil:
This means I go into the next level with a pathetic 116 gold. However if I just wait until the last turn to end Captured, I go into Evacuation with a tidy 520 gold.

As I understand it, the early-finish bonus is supposed to give more gold then waiting for turns to expire, thus saving players the trouble of hitting 'end turn' twenty times to ensure their finances.

So unless I am very much mistaken, this is a seriously irritating hitch in Captured which is making Evacuation a problem. This may have something to do with changes in 1.1.1...?

Anyway, I think it requires attention. (hint hint)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Aye. In SVN now, Captured gives the bonus when you win the level the way you're supposed to. Evacuation should be a tad easier now... ;)
The World of Orbivm