The high elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

who cares... I'll revive the content of this when the time comes.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
halleck

Post by halleck »

Yep, nicely said. Back on topic. :) [/quote]
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Finally responding to this request!
Jetryl wrote:The roman word Evocati is interesting, and I might like to use it some where. If you can think up any other words please do.
Indeed it is.
Jetryl wrote:I would also like to gather together any words you can find like "Valkyrie," words of a similar nature.
Some of the Greco-Roman goddesses were warriors and/or huntresses. Some names:

Pallas
Athena
Minerva

Diana
Artemis

There was also a female warrior in Virgil's Aeneid, and some of the Amazon queens were given names. I'll track them down as soon as I have some free time, which might not be for another two weeks!

EDIT: I remembered another of Athena's names.
Last edited by Temuchin Khan on February 23rd, 2006, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alks

Post by Alks »

More responding to Temuchin, than to Jetryl...

Celtic one:

Rosmerta
Goddess of death and horses and the same time. Portraited in chariot

Morrigan:
Goddess of battlefield, associated with ravens.

But that may end with godly mix - something, that one would avoid. Celts are still waiting to be designed. Morrigan unit, that would be it...
Garion

Post by Garion »

For a thing similar to a Valkyrie, we may examine the same culture's other myths. "Norn" is an interesting one. The Norns were essentially a much more badass version of the Greek fates, and the youngest ("Skuld" ~ Clotho) regularly took time off to serve among the Valkyries.

Meanwhile, I think the word "Marquis," although it denotes a station in society rather than a military specialization, would probably fit the character of a level three High Elf mounted unit very well.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Garion wrote:For a thing similar to a Valkyrie, we may examine the same culture's other myths. "Norn" is an interesting one. The Norns were essentially a much more badass version of the Greek fates, and the youngest ("Skuld" ~ Clotho) regularly took time off to serve among the Valkyries.
How could I forget the Norns?

Anyway, here's a list of Valkyrie names:

Brynhild, Skuld, Skogul, Guth, Hild, Gondul, Geirskogul, Hrist, Mist, Skeggjold, Thruth, Hlokk, Herfjotur, Goll, Geironul, Randgrith, Rathgrith, Reginleif, Hlathguth, Hervor, Olrun, Svava, Sigrun, Sigrdrifa

I'd forgotten how many there were! It's been too long since I delved into Norse myth.

And the female warrior in the Aeneid was Camilla.

Well, this didn't take as long as I thought it would!
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

They dont have to have exotic names you know. Though cool names make a faction interesting, they take second place to good art, balanced stats, and playability. The more we work on those, the faster this will come toward being included in an era/campaign.

That being siad, I'm more than happy to help. I like this idea, I just think we should get off this thing of names for now.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Alks wrote: Morrigan:Goddess of battlefield, associated with ravens.
Ravens! IMHO, These names all seem nice but to much for elves, more for units in the Lavinians (if they have females)
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Alks

Post by Alks »

The Raven wrote: Ravens! IMHO, These names all seem nice but to much for elves, more for units in the Lavinians (if they have females)
Lavinians? No, I'd rather see them for Marauders, who could include some Celtic element. It would make their tree a bit more developed. And too much for elves? Probably, yes, but I always was fond of dark-fantasied, twisted elves. That's why I like Wild Elves.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Alks wrote:...Marauders, who could include some Celtic element...
Aren't Marauders more Norse than Celtic? and besides wasnt someone making a Celtic like faction anyway?

And did anyone even read my post two posts back???
:evil:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Flametrooper wrote:
Alks wrote:...Marauders, who could include some Celtic element...
Aren't Marauders more Norse than Celtic? and besides wasnt someone making a Celtic like faction anyway?
Yep, they're more Norse. But no, no one was making a Celtic faction. (Well, not any more. People propose and even begin to work on new factions all the time - but they are very rarely completed.)
Flametrooper wrote:And did anyone even read my post two posts back???
:evil:
Yes, but...

Art - Jetryl will do it when he does it. No one else can help there.
Stats - Sure, lets brainstorm stats - but, "it will all become moot in the next reorganization". (<- Dilbert quote.) Stats are easy to come up with.
Playability - Art is a prerequisite.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Well, I will do what I can, which is admiddtedly mot much. I really want to see these units, even if not in aminline game, as a downloadable thing from the campaign server(like an era, or like that "L3 Outlaw Unit Pack"). High elves are awesome. Let me know what I can do to help.

EDIT: here's a few things i drew in my spare time. They're probably really bad, but I offer them in hopes that a competent artist can touch them up and make them worthy.
Attachments
A mounted archer.
A mounted archer.
high_elf_horse_archer.png (3.48 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
High Elf Hero...I know this isnt on the proposed advancement tree so far, but I wanted to make it anyways.
High Elf Hero...I know this isnt on the proposed advancement tree so far, but I wanted to make it anyways.
high_elf_sword_2.png (1.75 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
This is that &amp;quot;skirmishing swordsman&amp;quot; people mentioned earlier.
This is that &quot;skirmishing swordsman&quot; people mentioned earlier.
high_elf_sword3.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
hey.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Well besides the mounted archer looking positively MASSIVE they are okay.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Yeah, I see what you mean, hes as big as his horse if not bigger. Ill fix that, sometime.
hey.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Flametrooper wrote:Well, I will do what I can, which is admiddtedly mot much. I really want to see these units, even if not in aminline game, as a downloadable thing from the campaign server(like an era, or like that "L3 Outlaw Unit Pack"). High elves are awesome. Let me know what I can do to help.

EDIT: here's a few things i drew in my spare time. They're probably really bad, but I offer them in hopes that a competent artist can touch them up and make them worthy.
He would hold his bow and sword on the same side of the horse, he'd probably sheath the bow.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth