New Campaign: Elves and Wose: The Son of Kalenz

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

whitewizard

New Campaign: Elves and Wose: The Son of Kalenz

Post by whitewizard »

I have developed a fairly long campaign that is supposed to be a follow-up story to the Legend of Wesmere. The code is fairly simple, as this is my first time doing this. I also don't know how to post this to the campaign server if anyone has suggestions for me.

Any testing/feedback would be greatly appreciated! :D
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

You have to create a pbl file for the campaign
[campagn_name].pbl --The name has to be the same as the [campaign_name].cfg file.
Sample from my campaign's pbl file

Code: Select all

.pbl
passphrase= will be given to to you when you have put the campaign into the server.
author=Marten Kahr
version=0.3.4
name=Eternal kingdom
Then you have to go to the campaign server screen in the game and the last option should be "publish campaign [Campaign Name]"

P.S the pbl has to be in the data/campaigns/ directory
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
whitewizard

network communication error

Post by whitewizard »

First of all, thank you for the quick response.

I had no problem getting to the point of seeing the file and submitting it, and I received the GNU agreement prompt. But afte I agree, I receive a "network communication error" message. Any idea what the problem might be?

Here is my .pbl file:

.pbl
passphrase=will be given to to you when you have put the campaign into the server.
author=White Wizard
version=0.0.1
name=Elves and Wose: The Son of Kalenz (02/16/06)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

get rid of the:

[quote] will be given to to you when you have put the campaign into the server. [quote]

it's a rediculously long passphrase (yes that does mean that you can choose)
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Passphrase is password i think.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Tomsik wrote:Passphrase is password i think.
No, 'passphrase' is correct.

The tags you can use in a pbl file:

author=" "
title=" "
icon=" "
version=" "
description=" "
passphrase=" "

Several of these are optional. If you don't provide a passphrase the server will generate one for you.

For more info see: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingCampaignsThePBLFile
whitewizard

thank you

Post by whitewizard »

I have posted the new campaign thanks to your help. I was putting

.pbl

in the first line of the pbl file, which was preventing it from uploading.

I hope it gives you a few hours of enjoyment. I tried to make it an interesting story that is based on the Legend of Wesmere, one of the first add-on campaigns, created by Santi.

I did not create a new race, or introduce very complex code. There are some unit additions, such as the Great White Mage, who is ridiculously powerful. And there is a scene with multiple elf spirit units, which are really renamed invisible units from LoW. Perhaps in the future, a ridiculously powerful ancient lich can be created for a more balanced fight with the Great White Mage.

You will notice many similarities to the Legend of Wesmere. As this is my first campaign, I borrowed heavily from LoW as well as a few maps from TRoW, Eastern Invasion, and Heir to the Throne. However, because the story builds on LoW, I hope my selections are found to be in good taste.

I intentionally opened the door to future campaign plots in the story. In the future, a campaign can be built that tells the story of the Wesmerian rescue of Wesnoth from a King corrupted by the Ruby of Fire. Another campaign in the future will be the story of Crelanu in the Spirit Realm, seeking out Jevyan, while encountering Delfador. Another could be campaign built around Horndolf, the leader of the Mage Order. Another could be a campaign broadly based on the origins of the wose, their lives, stories, etc.

I tried to incorporate the wose into this story more than previous campaigns. I made use of the wose shaman unit, with a few modifications. A couple scenarios are based on a battle between a few wose and many saurians. Number vs. sheer power is the idea there, and these are rather fun in my opinion. In the future, I would like to see additional wose units created. I played around with a unit called the wose hurler, but it is not used in the campaign as it is kind of silly looking (art is not my strong suit - but GIMP at least allowed me to play around; you'll notice that the Great White Mage is a recolored Great Mage). I gave rather non-coventional names to the main wose, based on the simplicity of the LoTR character Tree Beard (because let's face the fact that BoW is inspired by the LoTR world). Two important wose in my story are named Deeproots and Greentall.

Finally, feedback is most welcome. If I borrowed too heavily, please accept my apologies. I am simply trying to learn the art of campaign building, and was stumbling to create my own original files. I will be pleased to work with people in making modifications, withdrawals, and additions.

Enjoy!
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, I'm looking forward to playing this. There is no bigger form of flattery in Open Source than someone using and building upon what you've done!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I have trouble seeing this as more than a "technical exercise", since it looks like every scenario is copied from LoW with basically just different enemies and dialogue. I haven't played LoW for more than 5-6 scenarios, but the scenarios up to that point are just too similar. Same maps, same objectives, pretty much same everything. Even the same shyde-in-a-cage! And the main hero's name is..."Kalenz II"? I'm sorry, but in the few scenarios I skimmed through there was really next to nothing original. Except perhaps when you got Deeproots (I think that was his name) as your leader, which was a welcome variation.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I can't download the campaign. Probably beacuse I have the developement version.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
whitewizard

thanks

Post by whitewizard »

Zookeeper, your criticism is accepted and well-deserved. The first few scenarios are in fact not much different from LoW. To start, it was admittedly a technical exercise. However, the story is set in exactly the same place as LoW, so I felt I was justified in having Kalenz II follow in his father's footsteps in the beginning. As you play the campaign, you will find more and more originality (partly a reflection of my own gain in WML experience).

I am glad you enjoyed the wose vs. saurian scenarios. I have always wanted to do more with the wose (and still do).

One advantage is that this is a very lengthy campaign, which I feel has been in short supply lately. How many times have you been excited to download a new campaign and have it finished in an hour? I wanted to create something where people did not feel cheated. So that meant I had to tell a full story. Of course, there is plenty left open for additions and build-on campaigns.

Finally, I feel that I cannot apologize for the name Kalenz II, as it seems to be conventional for royalty to pass their name to their heir. Many of the other campaigns have used this convention, using for example the name Konrad II or III. If Kalenz was High Lord of Wesmere, is it not fair for there to be a Kalenz II? He is simply heir to the other throne. Nevertheless, Zookeeper, you issue a fair criticism, and I see your point.

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. For a newbie to campaign design, I have to give myself a pat on the back :). I believe a good story and fun battles go a long way, which is why LoW is a campaign I really enjoyed and wanted to see extended (Kudos to Santi; and thank you for weighing in). I hope that this is not a total disappointment to anyone, and that you find some enjoyment in playing.

Best,
WhiteWizard
whitewizard

re:can't download

Post by whitewizard »

Martenzo,

I have installed the development version on a Windows machine and on a Debian machine. For some reason, the Window's machine does not see the campaign when I log on to the campaign server. No problem in Debian Linux. I have no idea what that is about. I hope this gets resolved.

WW
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Sounds like you're using 1.1 and 1.1.1 on the different systems. There's a bug in 1.1 which makes it use the campaign server for the stable version although those campaigns aren't really compatible. Starting with 1.1.1 the new server was set as the default, you recognize it by having much less content. ;-)
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, I was not able to play due to some missing tag.
Low leaves a great number of stories to be told, maybe detailed campaigns of the elvish civil
war, or the Norther elves holding out, maybe you are the hero whose mission is to break
the orcish lines and make it to the southern elves to ask for help.
I have some reservations about the start with humans getting corrupted by the ruby.
Low ends at HttT and after HttT, the ruby is again in human hands, but shielded in
the sceptre of fire and Delfador is there to make sure things run ok while he is still alive.
So I find it hard to understand why ruby corruption would still be a factor.
From my point of view a great idea wenoth-history-wise would be to try and
bridge the gap in elvish history between post HttT and UTBS. RoTL gives a partt of that history in the past-EI events. And it won't have to be Kalenz's son, after all Kalenz was noname's son(son of Kliada)
So Kalenz II should probably read a different elvish name....
nightscout

Post by nightscout »

i tried to play it but it says missing tag fleeing