Any anti-swarm tactics out there?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Any anti-swarm tactics out there?

Post by Zhukov »

Recently there have been several attempts to implement a game rule that prevents a unit with strong melee being overrun by numerous Walking Corpses (or Goblins).

A quick summary for anyone who is unaware what I am talking about: if a WC attacks a strong melee unit (lets say Orcish Warlord) it will likely die when the orc retaliates. This allows another WC to take the place of it's fallen friend and attack the orc. Because the WC is attacking it strikes first, meaning each WC has a decent chance to inflict some damage before it falls to the induvidually superior orc. This can be repeated countless times, until practically any unit goes down (even a paladin). This situation produces the peculiar situation where a unit capable of inflicting high damage (like the Warlord) finds itself more vulnerable then a unit who has a weak melee attack (like a White Mage).

Personally I don't find this particularly irksome, especially as it is a situation not often encountered. However it seems some others do. If indeed any progress is being made to alter the current situation (for better or worse), then it is going slowly.

Thus I am setting up this thread for people to post any successful playing tactics that can defeat swarms of weaklings. Perhaps this will help anyone frustrated by having their seemingly invincible units whittled down by opponents using cheap tactics.

Go for it...
appleide

Post by appleide »

Umm, I guess you are talking about campaign mode. In that case, I'd just cover my level 3 units with level 1 units who dont kill WCs in one turn. in the following turn I'd just move the level 1s behind the level 3s, then move the level3s to engage, killing WCs, then reform the protective barrier with level 1s by moving them 3 more hexes, right infront of the level 3s.

Hope it helps. :)
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Tmoiy

Post by Tmoiy »

Keeping high-level units on good terrain helps, since the enemy will eventually run out of cannon fodder or get (un)lucky and not get hit. Putting them in narrow passes where not many enemies can get at one at once is also helpful.

And although this is certainly much more likely in campaigns with swarming AI's, like Heir to the Throne, it can also apply in multiplayer.
appleide

Post by appleide »

But... (assuming all multiplayer games starts with player having equal gold) IMO trading an Elvish Champion for 30 Walking Corpses is a great deal.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

One thing I noticed when playing Valley of Death - always try to kill off any injured WCs first, even if you can kill full-health ones with one unit at no risk (e.g. with ranged). Never attack a WC if there's a reasonable chance that it won't be dead by the end of your turn. An already-injured WC is much more likely to be killed in retaliation, thus freeing up a hex for the next WC to pour into.
toms

Post by toms »

A great number of elvish shamans standing together?

(they heal each other and have impact)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

For Muff Malal's Peninsula, I swarm the corpses, not the other way around! :twisted:

For Valley of Death, I usually send about six Fighters to delay the corpses. It works well. Shamans also sound like a good idea.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
toms

Post by toms »

Elvish Pillager wrote:For Muff Malal's Peninsula, I swarm the corpses, not the other way around! :twisted:
I kill them before they swarm, but I don´t use a real lot of units here.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
player

Post by player »

Elvish Pillager wrote:For Muff Malal's Peninsula, I swarm the corpses, not the other way around! :twisted:

For Valley of Death, I usually send about six Fighters to delay the corpses. It works well. Shamans also sound like a good idea.
fro the valley of death, i dont go out of the castle floor(ecxept for two fighters that are planned to get the holy something)
i also buy 2 shamans and recall a 2 healers(white and druid) and recal a arch mage to kill the wraiths and bones. i also use a captain to boost other units and make them evolve.
Kalenz is on the house in the north east and delfi is on the south house.
my leader? i use it to fight some zombies and other units for experience...
-jew
JW

Post by JW »

Paladin + Grand Knight.

They tear right through those damned things and can take the beating too. Great units.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

[quote="JW"]Paladin + Grand Knight.

They tear right through those damned things and can take the beating too. Great units.[/quote]
Ever charge a lich with a holy grand knight?
kiet

Post by kiet »

I have,but a Ancient Lich in EI.I got my holy Calavier to soften him up and charged him with my holy Grand Knight,he´s dead!
But it doesn´t take a Grand Knight to charged a lich,a knight works as good
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Re: Any anti-swarm tactics out there?

Post by Wintermute »

Zhukov wrote:Personally I don't find this particularly irksome
I agree. I think that being "zombie rushed" should work exactly as it does now. If your unit gets within 4 hexs of enough walking corpses to kill it, then that is exactly what should happen, IMNSHO.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I've charge a lich with a holy lancer, during day and there was a Grand marshal backing him up (it was in EI). The damage was sweeet.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.